The Cricket Thread

McFaul

Do you like cricket?  

105 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

5 minutes ago, Ugly Mackems said:

Could be 5 sessions yet. 

Why is Archer not a confirmed No 10. Worse than Jimmy with the bat. (not as good as Wood with the ball) 

Archer proper fancies himself with the bat as well.

Shambolic batting from us on a shambolic test match pitch.  Of course it's up to India if they want to produce a pitch that benefits their strengths, but when Root is taking 5 for 8 you know the picth is not test match quality.

Christ knows what it's going to be like for the last test.

2 hours ago, David Kelly said:

Shambolic batting from us on a shambolic test match pitch.  Of course it's up to India if they want to produce a pitch that benefits their strengths, but when Root is taking 5 for 8 you know the picth is not test match quality.

Christ knows what it's going to be like for the last test.

I suspect it will be a dead and utterly flat strip, bowlers nightmare to guarantee a draw and series win.

15 minutes ago, Toonpack said:

I suspect it will be a dead and utterly flat strip, bowlers nightmare to guarantee a draw and series win.

I might be wrong as there were several permutations but I think either side (obviously England can’t still manage that) needed to win 3 tests in this series to make the world test match championship final (or whatever the fuck it’s called) against the Kiwis. If they don’t then Australia would meet NZ. 

11 hours ago, Alex said:

I might be wrong as there were several permutations but I think either side (obviously England can’t still manage that) needed to win 3 tests in this series to make the world test match championship final (or whatever the fuck it’s called) against the Kiwis. If they don’t then Australia would meet NZ. 

I think India have to win or draw the last test to take on NZ in the final.  2-1 should be sufficient, but I would expect another rank turner so that England collapse and India win 3-1. 

I doubt they will be tempted to prepare a pitch for the draw, because a match which lasts 5 days could be a lottery.  If England are still in it at that stage, it would suggest someone has found the right end of the bat to hold.

On 25/02/2021 at 15:26, Alex said:

Didn’t the Aussies eliminate themselves when they cried off SA ?

On 28/02/2021 at 06:07, Toonpack said:

Didn’t the Aussies eliminate themselves when they cried off SA ?

No, they still get in if England wins the last test (not likely, though).

• Like 1

On 06/03/2021 at 16:41, Dr Gloom said:

I feel a bit sorry for Bess

Not sure I do.  While he got a lot of wickets in the first test and in Sri Lanka, I think it is fair to say that he was lucky with a lot of them, and he regularly gave away one boundary an over.  You simply can't be giving up full tosses to international players, and he was doing that too often.  

He has been good before, and he probably will be again, but he was shocking in the last test and saying that he had been hard done by previously does not excuse his failure when he got a chance.  Leach got better, Bess got worse.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...