The Cricket Thread

McFaul

Do you like cricket?  

105 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Quality from Curran yesterday he probably deserved to win that for us.  Maybe he will look back at some of the runs him and Wood didn't take and think they should have gone for them.  But you can't really argue with how close he got us.

Most exciting game of cricket since Hedingly.

• Like 1

52 minutes ago, David Kelly said:

Quality from Curran yesterday he probably deserved to win that for us.  Maybe he will look back at some of the runs him and Wood didn't take and think they should have gone for them.  But you can't really argue with how close he got us.

Most exciting game of cricket since Hedingly.

Was thinking that during the game, always take the runs you can, when you can. Wood was looking OK batting anyway.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, David Kelly said:

Yeah Wood can certainly hold his bat.  The only issue with him is sometimes he wants to just swing.  Yesterday though he looked like he was happy to sit in with Curran.

When you saw the fields they had for him, he is capable enough and a single was there for the taking any time tbh as you say he showed no inclination to swing yesterday that I remember

Edited by Toonpack

Wood looked like he had his batting head on which isn’t always the case. Think it was the 2015 Ashes when Wood came in as nightwatchman and tried to hook the first ball, scampered a quick single and Root had to face about 4 more balls in the over (and nicked one to slip that didn’t quite carry) :D 

Yeah that's always the worry with him and I guess they thought that if they just hung in he is also capable of going over the boundary once they were into the last couple of overs.  But a bit better communication might have seen them home.  Hard to cricise either of them mind.  Wood was our best bowler and Curran the best batsman yesterday.

19 hours ago, David Kelly said:

Yeah that's always the worry with him and I guess they thought that if they just hung in he is also capable of going over the boundary once they were into the last couple of overs.  But a bit better communication might have seen them home.  Hard to cricise either of them mind.  Wood was our best bowler and Curran the best batsman yesterday.

And Wood was sick as a dog during the game

• Like 1

• 2 months later...

I like how the tweets Robinson made when he was 18 are not as bad (but have come under at least as much scrutiny) as things the prime minister has said 

that was poor from crawley. he looks great when he's in  - plays some lovely drives - but you can't be wafting at one on 7th stump when you're two runs into a test innings. one for the future but i dunno if he's number 3 material for the ashes. we haven't had a proper number 3 since trott, other than root, who doesn't fancy it. we haven't had proper openers since strauss or cook either tbh. top 3 remains problematic. 

• Like 1

When you’ve got people saying he shouldn’t be banned and others saying he shouldn’t play for England again a short suspension seems like a reasonable compromise. It also doesn’t help his caused when absolute bigots like the Prime Minister have weighed in with their support. I think I’d rather have Tommy Robinson on side 

55 minutes ago, Tom said:

Still I think the idea of suspending someone for a 10 year old tweet is mental 

Course it is. 

A rational, reasonable world would not be interested in dredging it up. Or if it was dredged up, that rational reasonable world would see that it's a stupid offensive thing from a kid and dismiss it. 

But we live in a shitshow.

It's interesting that the only two people I've actually heard say that he should be banned or that Boris and Dowden should pipe down are Carberry and Ramprakash.  Carberry saying that he shouldn't play cricket again seems absolutely ridiculous but he's obviously felt the effects of racism like most of us never have or will.  Ramprakash said if Moeen or Rashid had been part of the team last week this would have been a massive issue in the dressing room.

I think we have to consider there is quite a problem within sport in this country and if they want to attract minorities into the game they have to do something more than wear a t-shirt or take the knee.

That said, while I can understand the ECB suspending Robinson while they conduct an investigation (something they surely should be doing before they call a player up in the first place) a long term ban for someone posting some offensive tweets when they were 18 and probably pissed would be way over the top.  After all Stokes bust some kids jaw in a nightclub and is a national hero.  People in all walks of life make mistaes and commit crimes and are allowed to be rehabilitated.  Robinson hasn't even commited a crime.

• Like 1

What I don’t agree with is Carberry saying people like that can’t be rehabilitated. You can say something daft you don’t even mean to impress your mates at that age. And I don’t think I’ve ever met anyone whose views etc didn’t change somewhat over time. 

• Like 1