The Cricket Thread

McFaul

Do you like cricket?  

105 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

There's a massive difference between making a shit joke or just saying something offensive that you didn't mean to and being an EDL member looking for a fight with minorities.  People can certainly be educated out of the former but it's a lot more difficult to expect pricks like Tommy Robison to change.

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, David Kelly said:

It's interesting that the only two people I've actually heard say that he should be banned or that Boris and Dowden should pipe down are Carberry and Ramprakash.  Carberry saying that he shouldn't play cricket again seems absolutely ridiculous but he's obviously felt the effects of racism like most of us never have or will.  Ramprakash said if Moeen or Rashid had been part of the team last week this would have been a massive issue in the dressing room.

I think we have to consider there is quite a problem within sport in this country and if they want to attract minorities into the game they have to do something more than wear a t-shirt or take the knee.

That said, while I can understand the ECB suspending Robinson while they conduct an investigation (something they surely should be doing before they call a player up in the first place) a long term ban for someone posting some offensive tweets when they were 18 and probably pissed would be way over the top.  After all Stokes bust some kids jaw in a nightclub and is a national hero.  People in all walks of life make mistaes and commit crimes and are allowed to be rehabilitated.  Robinson hasn't even commited a crime.

Surely the point is that Robinson has learned from his childish mistake? Isn't that what we're going for? 

1 minute ago, The Fish said:

Surely the point is that Robinson has learned from his childish mistake? Isn't that what we're going for? 

Yeah but that needs to be investigated and confirmed.  Him just saying it because he's been caught out isn't really going to carry much weight.

• Like 1

Just now, David Kelly said:

Yeah but that needs to be investigated and confirmed.  Him just saying it because he's been caught out isn't really going to carry much weight.

Sure, but I guess my point is that if the narrative shifted it's less confrontational and is more collaborative?

27 minutes ago, The Fish said:

Sure, but I guess my point is that if the narrative shifted it's less confrontational and is more collaborative?

I think what they've anounced in terms of his suspension is probably a bit over the top.  A better wording may have just been that he's been took out of the spotlight until it's thoroughly investigated.  They only needed to do it for the next match and then Stokes, Woakes & Curran should all be available for the India series so they can easily excuse him not playing on the basis that while he did very well in the match he played, those players are currently ahead of him in the queue anyway.  That gives them plenty of time to investigate and impose a reasonable sanction/punishment.

I do feel though that they've went down the route they have so as to be seen to taking it incredibly seriously.  They've had criticism for stopping taking the knee then they made a big thing about the moment of inclusion or whatever before the game.  Added to that the case of the two umpires and that of Azeem Rafiq, I think they will have just thought we have to be seen to be doing something serious.

• Like 2

14 hours ago, David Kelly said:

something they surely should be doing before they call a player up in the first place

This!  It is surely not difficult and should be top of the list.

Just watched the highlights. Crawley is massively struggling at number 3. Felt for Bracey too. Two tests to make an impression, two ducks, no runs. He looked properly gutted. 

14 hours ago, Alex said:

You’d be gutted if you’d managed to get a ticket for today at edgbaston

Probably gutted if you got a ticket from beyond lunchtime on the first day.  The ECB needs to sort out this saving players - they won't be ready when the time comes due to a lack of cricket (which will of course be the excuse) :bang:

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Ben Stokes: England all-rounder to miss India Test series and to take 'indefinite break' from all cricket

this makes me think there’s a major story about him about to come out...or maybe he just needs a rest?  :unsure2:

His finger injury hasn’t properly healed and the circuit is pretty relentless is you’re playing all formats of the game including the IPL. They barely get to spend a night at home over the course of a year. Hopefully he just needs a break 

Edited by Alex
  • Like 2

4 hours ago, RobinRobin said:

There goes the Ashes (even if there was a chance in the first place).  Got my tickets, but hoping it is put off for a year now.

Maybe this is him trying to make the Ashes. Players can’t play 12 months a year, however much loot is on offer these days ...

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Dr Gloom said:

One of better performers today, which doesn’t say much about the rest 

Out to a straight one again, man. On the stroke of tea. Batted when batting was at its easiest too. 75 caps? The mind boggles.

You’re right what you say about him re: today though

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Alex said:

Out to a straight one again, man. On the stroke of tea. Batted when batting was at its easiest too. 75 caps? The mind boggles.

You’re right what you say about him re: today though

It’s says a lot about the paucity of options that the selectors keep turning to him.

the most striking thing about today’s line up, other than the lack of spinner and all-rounder, was the lack of red balls faced by most of them. Massively undercooked while the Indians have been here all summer acclimatising and practising with the duke ball

• Like 2