The Cricket Thread

McFaul

Do you like cricket?  

105 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

1 hour ago, Dr Gloom said:

Playing attacking cricket doesn’t mean slinging your bat at everything from the get go. I like the positive/aggressive mindset too

but there still has to be an ability to read the match situation and occasionally rein  the aggression in. 

Aye, totally. I just was trying to say they basically chased down ODI targets because they were effectively playing with a ball that behaved more like a white ball. So loads has been made of the change in mentality while that’s hardly been mentioned as a major factor 

• Like 2

5 hours ago, Dr Gloom said:

Playing attacking cricket doesn’t mean slinging your bat at everything from the get go. I like the positive/aggressive mindset too

but there still has to be an ability to read the match situation and occasionally rein  the aggression in. 

Completely agree. I’m all for the more positive mindset - it’s felt different since Stokes has had the captaincy but aggression shouldn’t equal recklessness and fuck the consequences. In his interview after the loss at Lord’s he was stubbornly refusing to even contemplate that there was any other way to play and I think that needs to be reigned in a bit. 

• Like 3

Was agressiveness the problem or was is that we just have too many sub standard players who were playing against a very good pace attack?  For me it's the latter.  We are just trying to play in a way that makes use of the skill set of the players we do have.   I totally agree with Alex that Stokes is wasting himself playing the way he is though.  Him and Root are about the only players who are quality proper test batsmen.  And if he'd played the way he is now back then, we'd have never seen that Heddingly innings against the Aussies by him.

• Like 2

Potts dropped and Robinson back in for tomorrow’s test. Crawley keeps his place. Will be interesting to see if Robinson has improved his fitness to be able to last the 5 days *

*may not be 5 days

• Like 2

40 minutes ago, catmag said:

Will be interesting to see if Robinson has improved his fitness to be able to last the 5 days *

*may not be 5 days

He'll be hoping so because he will pull a muscle in the rooms. 🙁 

• 2 weeks later...

Alex Hailes added to T20 World Cup squad after Bairstow’s freak leg break. I honestly thought his England chances were done. This will be very interesting given Stokes referred to him as “My friend at the time” during his recent documentary.. 

• Like 2

He's a very good player.  Hopefully, Hales can focus on playing well rather than the rest.  Realistically, he should be the right choice and with all the changes at ECB, it was almost certainly the right time to move on - especially as Jason Roy appears to have forgotten which end of the bat to hold.  

• Like 1

20 hours ago, catmag said:

Alex Hailes added to T20 World Cup squad after Bairstow’s freak leg break. I honestly thought his England chances were done. This will be very interesting given Stokes referred to him as “My friend at the time” during his recent documentary.. 

He seems renowned in cricketing circles as a massive word you don't like.

Establishment must reckon Stokes/Buttler can keep him in line, no doubting his ability in whiteball game, could also be his audition for bazball if he keeps his nose clean (in more ways than one).

• Haha 1

Had a great night at the women’s IT20 at Durham on Saturday. Obviously the crowd wasn’t anywhere near what it would be for the men’s game but it was pretty full and I got to chat to Kate Cross at the end of the game who said the ladies were absolutely chuffed with the crowd and would love to play up here more. England had a comfortable win and Alice Capsey is going to be an absolute star of the future. First international game for the bairn too who had a thoroughly good time 😊

4682631D-4EDE-42CF-8AE0-C34FE8ADD4D7.jpeg

• Like 6

• 1 month later...
52 minutes ago, ewerk said:

They'll be dancing on the streets of Dublin tonight.

No actually they won't because no one in Ireland pays any attention to cricket.

Surprising seeing as it's an excuse for a day on the drink, but then again I suppose the Irish don't need an excuse.

• Haha 2

2 hours ago, RobinRobin said:

Could be interesting in Oz today, at the MCG.  One of these teams is not going to progress.  Unfortunately, I think I know which one.  :smile:

Likely point each, pissing down and 2 miles away there's a ground with a roof FFS

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...