The Cricket Thread

McFaul

Do you like cricket?  

105 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

4 minutes ago, PaddockLad said:

How many sides have declared at tea (presumably?) on the first day in the history of test cricket? 🤔

I don’t know and it would be unusual in the modern day. You used to get loads of funny ones in the days of uncovered pitches / sticky wickets though. This would’ve related to their being nine wickets down (and no recognised batsman at the crease) plus wanting to exploit playing under the floodlights in a day-nighter. This usually causes the ball to swing more. Also you have the psychological element of surprising those then having to open the batting and making an attacking decision rather than waiting to be bowled out. For all the logic behind it not many teams would’ve done it. I seem to remember one of the great Aussie sides of the recent past doing similar. Not necessarily on day one though (declaring to exploit the bowling conditions) 

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Alex said:

I don’t know and it would be unusual in the modern day. You used to get loads of funny ones in the days of uncovered pitches / sticky wickets though. This would’ve related to their being nine wickets down (and no recognised batsman at the crease) plus wanting to exploit playing under the floodlights in a day-nighter. This usually causes the ball to swing more. Also you have the psychological element of surprising those then having to open the batting and making an attacking decision rather than waiting to be bowled out. For all the logic behind it not many teams would’ve done it. I seem to remember one of the great Aussie sides of the recent past doing similar. Not necessarily on day one though (declaring to exploit the bowling conditions) 

TMS level reply, cheers :D

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Alex said:

Made perfect sense in the circumstances though

it was vindicated as they took three wickets under the lights as the ball started moving but this ultra-aggressive approach is unprecedented in test cricket. It apparently looked like a good batting wicket. Stokes and  mccullum are literally changing the game  

• Like 1

I love the way McCullum talks about it too. About making it fun, taking the pressure off the players. Adopting a “you only live once” mindset and accept you will lose a few games like this but the aim is always to win the game by playing aggressively. That’s a powerful weapon going into the ashes if the players all buy into it. I though this was a good read on the beeb. 

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/cricket/64646428

Also, Jimmy only needs 29 wickets to equal Warnie - madness!

Duckett and Brook (especially) have been strong additions to the test side too. All v positive stuff 

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, Dr Gloom said:

I love the way McCullum talks about it too. About making it fun, taking the pressure off the players. Adopting a “you only live once” mindset and accept you will lose a few games like this but the aim is always to win the game by playing aggressively. That’s a powerful weapon going into the ashes if the players all buy into it. I though this was a good read on the beeb. 

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/cricket/64646428

Also, Jimmy only needs 29 wickets to equal Warnie - madness!

Duckett and Brook (especially) have been strong additions to the test side too. All v positive stuff 

I think him and Stokes are perfect for each other. I was thinking the same re:Jimmy too. Looks like he could well overhaul Warne. Not only that but at a very similar average too (and Jimmy’s is improving all the time) 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, David Kelly said:

It's not out of the question these days but in a day night game I'm confident they wouldn't think they'll need that long.

I was joking but it wouldn’t surprise me 

• Haha 1

16 hours ago, Dr Gloom said:

Declare once we’ve got a 250 lead and give ourselves 2.5 days to bowl them out?

Looking at how close NZ got, they'll get what they can until just after dinner and then have 20 overs under lights. Or until they are all out, whichever comes first. 🙂🏏 

Done it again. 4 clean bowled. 

They were saying on BT something about it being the first time since 1960 that the first three in the order have been clean bowled. Trueman the last to do it. 

Is that stat specific to these two teams? Or England? Or just a general stat? 

17 minutes ago, RobinRobin said:

Annoyingly Aussies doing well against India 🙁 

Better be careful or you might find yourself actually being deported to Hobbiton, if an Australian that actually cares about cricket hears you.

38 minutes ago, sammynb said:

Better be careful or you might find yourself actually being deported to Hobbiton, if an Australian that actually cares about cricket hears you.

Do it all the time as they rightly do to me when the alternative applies. 🙂