The Cricket Thread

McFaul

Do you like cricket?  

105 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

5 hours ago, RobinRobin said:

Here We Go Again GIF

:smile:

Foakes has got to be the unluckiest cricketer in recent history. He should have double the number of caps.

And yet still the fraud Crawley keeps being selected. I’d sooner Bairstow opened and Foakes kept wicket  

Edited by Dr Gloom
  • Like 3

Crawler’s first class average recently dropped below 30. I think it’s just above again now but that’s fucking insane for someone regularly opening in test cricket. There’s backing players (which is obviously good in test cricket) but you can certainly go too far 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Alex said:

Crawler’s first class average recently dropped below 30. I think it’s just above again now but that’s fucking insane for someone regularly opening in test cricket. There’s backing players (which is obviously good in test cricket) but you can certainly go too far 

he's had loads of chances and doesn't look like a test opener. i'd back bairstow to play the bazball role at the top of the order more consistently than creepy. he's done it in the one day game, so why not? enganf are essentially going into test matches with a one day mindset

26 minutes ago, Dr Gloom said:

he's had loads of chances and doesn't look like a test opener. i'd back bairstow to play the bazball role at the top of the order more consistently than creepy. he's done it in the one day game, so why not? enganf are essentially going into test matches with a one day mindset

And, if the stories are accurate, good pitches with small boundaries.  Are you going to Edgbaston btw? 

Edited by Alex

1 hour ago, Alex said:

And, if the stories are accurate, good pitches with small boundaries.  Are you going to Edgbaston btw? 

yeah, on the Saturday. Can’t wait!

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Dr Gloom said:

yeah, on the Saturday. Can’t wait!

Well I hope you have a good time in the sense I hope you have a good time and I hope you have a good time in the sense we’re winning 

2 hours ago, Alex said:

Well I hope you have a good time in the sense I hope you have a good time and I hope you have a good time in the sense we’re winning 

I’m team sausage for the cricket. In baz we trust 

• Like 2

5 hours ago, Dr Gloom said:

That’s crawley’s 50 of the summer to keep him in the side

Aye. And even then it was completely unconvincing against Ireland on a good Lord’s pitch with the sun shining. He looks like a walking wicket and the Aussies will be licking their lips 

Aye, that’s a bummer, not sure who we have who could fill in to hold up an end to rest the seam bowlers. Dawson maybe or perhaps an sos to Moeen.

exposes our bowling problems further with stokes looking like he may or may not bowl due to his dodgy knee. 

i wonder if they'll replace leach with a bits and pieces all-rounder - someone like sam curran who can bolster batting and bowling a bit. then use root as a part-time spinner. there isn't really much alternative in the spin department 

maybe not as good at holding up an end but ahmed would be the aggressive option, which makes me think he might be the one stokes and baz turn to

1 hour ago, Dr Gloom said:

maybe not as good at holding up an end but ahmed would be the aggressive option, which makes me think he might be the one stokes and baz turn to

It’s an option because if you look at the fields Stokes has set for Leach, they’re much better than the ones Root had 

17 hours ago, Dr Gloom said:

Hell of a risk for the lad, though.  Perhaps even go with 4 seamers and Root for the first test at least.  That would allow Broad, Anderson, Wood and Robinson, plus some from Stokes if necessary.

2 hours ago, RobinRobin said:

Hell of a risk for the lad, though.  Perhaps even go with 4 seamers and Root for the first test at least.  That would allow Broad, Anderson, Wood and Robinson, plus some from Stokes if necessary.

I think that is what they’ll do tbh. But they could also go super aggressive and play Livingston, genuine batter and a bit of a wild card bowler as he can bowl both off spin and leg breaks, but he’s a bits and pieces bowler and the Aussies could feast on him, they would definitely go after him.

3 seamers just isn’t enough if Stokes can’t bowl, you’re going to wreck the old men (Jimmy and Broad) without good breaks between spells.

3 hours ago, Toonpack said:

I think that is what they’ll do tbh. But they could also go super aggressive and play Livingston, genuine batter and a bit of a wild card bowler as he can bowl both off spin and leg breaks, but he’s a bits and pieces bowler and the Aussies could feast on him, they would definitely go after him.

3 seamers just isn’t enough if Stokes can’t bowl, you’re going to wreck the old men (Jimmy and Broad) without good breaks between spells.

Forgot about Livingstone who was injured in the first test in Pakistan, wasn't he?  Not seen him mentioned anywhere else either.