The Cricket Thread

McFaul

Do you like cricket?  

105 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

We don't like cricket, oh no, it's wa a ank.

I've never liked cricket always found it boring as fuck, I've actually been to an England Test Match and was that bored I fucked off to the bar to watch Scotland. I just find it dull, but some people are brought up with it and love it, I respect that. Smoggeordie is a massive fan, and that's fine, you like what you like, but these bandwagon jumpers who pretend to love it when we win the ashes oh dear, especially when half the cunts don't even know the rules. People who like because their friends/partners do are even worse. It's too slow man, and I know there is some skill somewhere in there, it's just pish. People have the same thoughts about darts but I fuckin love darts, could watch it all night, so I know it's about preference.

What's your thoughts?

Second favourite sport after football. Winter is football, summer is cricket.

There's massive amounts of skill involved. It's quite similar to golf in that it is slow to watch but it's all about timing, transfer of weight into the shot if your batting and judgement of length of delivery. For bowlers its all about accuracy, putting the ball in the right area.

The thing i love about it is the strategy. A test match is like a game of chess. A long drawn out game of strategy that can have twists and turns over 5 days and still end up in a draw. It's so brilliantly British. The yanks could never watch a 5 day game with no winner.

I love a lazy weekend pottering around the house with the cricket on in the background for the duration.

:icon_lol:

Two Gareth Southgates. There's only two Gareth Southgates!

I was right behind him in the Eric Hollies stand at Edgo a couple of years back when he got that flintoff chant going.

Love watching Football, Golf, Rugby, Darts, Tennis and Athletics.

Never used to be into cricket but started watching during The Ashes in 2005 due to a bet with an Aussie workmate. I like it more and more I begin to understand it and watched pretty much all of the recent series. I think I must just be a gloryseeker due to the fact that my enthusiasm for the sport has coincided with England becoming the best.

For me, although football is my favourite to watch, my favourite event to watch is The Ryder Cup.

To me it's an upper class sport anyway.

Not in Yorkshire and Lancashire! You wouldn't call Boycs, Bumble or Darren Gough posh...

It's a middle class sport everywhere apart from Yorkshire I reckon, where it definitely still has it's working class credentials in tact. In Lancashire there's big working class participation too, but mainly amongst the asian community. Mostly middle class when it comes to white players though.

That said it's gaining in popularity massively all the time so, while it's not my first love by any means, hopefully the next generation will be strong and worthy successors to the current crop, and we can be a force for years.

Bein from Belfast i know nothin about cricket, we dont get to play it school or anything like that. Infact its classed as upperclass and posh over here along with rugby! Both are mainly played in grammer schools. Infact i think that that the only time you will see a cricket bat gettin waved around the streets of belfast is in a punnishment beating lol

Ive tried watchin it a few times but its probably more boaring than formula1

More importantly tho, as a general rule i try to avoid watching any sport that Egland actually have a chance of winning!! Which is why i love football...haha attack at will

I'm a late convertee. Never realised how technical a game it was.

I've met a fair few internationals over the last couple of years and 99% of them are normal down to earth blokes. It's a nice change to the shite that goes on in football sometimes.

I'm hoping Durham get drawn against Surrey in the pro40 semis so I can get a day out

Anyone watching T20 Finals day? We are into an eliminator over! Dead tie with a 6 off the last ball!

that wasa hell of a watch

gutted that lancs couldnt do it though :D

It's a thinking man's sport and it's fucking brilliant.

Anyone who's sceptical or reckons it's a load of pish, I recommend you go and watch a test (aye, a test - not a ODI or a 20/20 game). To me it's a whole different kettle of fish to watching it on TV.

As I've said in another thread, I've just signed for a new pad and there's a local cricket club literally right over the road from where I'll live. Was part of the reason it was sold to me tbh. Being able to leave work, park up at home, go and watch the last few overs and then over to the pub for a couple of pints seems perfect to me :D

Oh aye, and I'm not in the least bit surprised Idioteque prefers 20/20. Says it all really.

I love my local cricket club. Play football for them and the whole family goes down on a Wednesday and Friday night. Everyone has good craic and you can sit out and get a tan whilst you watch the game.

I'm at the England game on Saturday and hopefully travelling down south for the pro 40 semis on Sunday

Can't see myself ever getting into it tbh, and I have tried.

I just find it dull (and yes I know the rules) to watch. I feel like I've already seen everything that can be done with the bat and ball, there's not enough variety for me. No real excitement, even when there's meant to be- "Ooh, he hit a 6. Which looks like all those other 6s just in another area"

On top of that I find certain things about the sport irritating - including really trivial stuff like the hats they were, the hand signals the umpires do, and the even fact that cricket people say the word cricket in every other sentence.

It's just not my cup of tea, I prefer contact sports like football and rugby. Expecting a cricket fan to reply to this by questioning my intelligence :D

Can't see myself ever getting into it tbh, and I have tried.

I just find it dull (and yes I know the rules) to watch. I feel like I've already seen everything that can be done with the bat and ball, there's not enough variety for me. No real excitement, even when there's meant to be- "Ooh, he hit a 6. Which looks like all those other 6s just in another area"

On top of that I find certain things about the sport irritating - including really trivial stuff like the hats they were, the hand signals the umpires do, and the even fact that cricket people say the word cricket in every other sentence.

It's just not my cup of tea, I prefer contact sports like football and rugby. Expecting a cricket fan to reply to this by questioning my intelligence :D

Are you stupid or something? :icon_lol:

DEPORT HIM! DEPORT HIM NOW! <_<

I love my local cricket club. Play football for them and the whole family goes down on a Wednesday and Friday night. Everyone has good craic and you can sit out and get a tan whilst you watch the game.

I'm at the England game on Saturday and hopefully travelling down south for the pro 40 semis on Sunday

The standard of local cricket is far better than local football imo. I remember watching Ashington a few years ago and the captain of the other side (might've been Benwell) was shit hot so I asked someone who he was. Turned out he played for (and captained) New South Wales in the Sheffield Shield the previous winter. You wouldn't get something comparable the local football but it's common in local cricket.

1.Football

2.American Football

3.Cricket

4.Basketball

5.Baseball

6.Formula 1

The sports I actually watch and enjoy. Cricket is amazing, then again I love sports that need good technique and mental ability to play

Cant stand it, although, I think its more because of working in Headingley for 8 years. I worked with cricket "fans" who said "Its great to go and get pissed" hmmm I could do that in a pub and look at women at the same time tbh.

I did sit and watch a village cricket game a couple of weeks ago for 40mins or so. Didnt have a clue what was going on and far too much standing around, but more amusing than England stuff.

I dont understand it and therefore my ignorance is easy to slag it off which I've done in the past. If I understood it more I am sure my opinion would change.