The Cricket Thread

McFaul

Do you like cricket?  

105 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Really impressive batting performance yesterday.  This is clearly not Australia's best side and I have no doubt that Smith and Warner will be welcomed back into the team once their suspensions are up along with the three fast bowlers when they are fit.  But of course we are also missing two very important players in Stokes and Woakes and we shouldn't forget that we thrashed them in Australia when those players were available.

It's also good to see Ali doing so well with the ball at the moment.  I think if we are to win the world cup next year, him and Rashid will have to do well for us.

I wonder whether the ICC will look to make any changes to the format of ODI's any time soon.  There has been quite a bit of talk that it's no longer a fair contest between bat and ball on the back of this result/score.  Jimmy Anderson was saying on TMS yesterday that he didn't think that there was anything on offer for the bowlers with them bowling good balls that are getting smashed because the pitch and ball is offering nothing.  He also made the point that when he was a kid going to games he would come away remembering and talking about one great boundary/ball/catch but with there being so many boundaries everything just blurred into on.  I think he's probably got a point and yesterday's game certainly was anything but a nail biter, but I can't see the ICC wanting to do much to bring scores down.  Superficially people want to see the ball being hit for six or four as much as possible first and foremost and the authorities will want to do as much as possible to keep people coming through the gates.  

5 hours ago, David Kelly said:

Buttler to open in the T20 tonight.  Makes sense given his form in the IPL and ODI's.  I fully expect a first over duck.

You called it ;)

17 hours ago, Alex said:

You called it ;)

I'm not sure he faced a ball in the first over actually :D

Another excellent performance.  I think we're only ranked 5th in T20's but I suspect we will move much closer to number 1 if we actually put any effort into it.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

edgbaston test match poised at 128-3.

cook got a jaffa from ashwin, jennigs got unlucky with one that dribbled onto the stumps. he'll be gutted because he was looking like he might have a big score in him today. 

i'm still not convinced by malan. he looked scratchy until he eventually went, playing way too deep in his crease after surviving one on review. only averaging 20 in home tests. i suspect he's the one who might do well to survive the series. 

i'm going on friday for my annual day out in brum - can't bloody wait.