The Cricket Thread

McFaul

Do you like cricket?  

105 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

The way Michael Clarke has carried himself through this is a reflection of the kind of person he really is; Exemplary. True leader. Genuine fella.

I'm not one for watching people's public funerals on the telly but I watched this service from start to finish. Couldn't have been a better way to say good bye to the young lad.

• 1 month later...

Not that I think they would anyway but is to late to include Ben Stokes in the World Cup squad? Seemed daft to exclude him on the basis of the Sri Lanka tour. It seemed he was almost set up to fail there anyway and he's certainly proven the selectors wrong since.

An injury is possible but, if iirc, there's only a couple of warm up matches between now and then for England. I know he had some poor form with the bat last year but he seemed to have got his magic back with that innings for Durham in the one day semi. There aren't many players on the planet who could've batted like that. It was devastating. And I think I would have made allowances for his poor form in any case for a few reasons. He's clearly a match winner on his day (with bat and ball). You look at players like Woakes and (to a lesser extent) Jordan and they're good performers. But they are never going to turn in those match-winning performances. I know consistency is a big issue but it seems daft playing it safe when England have so little chance of winning the tournament anyway. Collingwood is spot on in what he has said.

An injury is possible but, if iirc, there's only a couple of warm up matches between now and then for England. I know he had some poor form with the bat last year but he seemed to have got his magic back with that innings for Durham in the one day semi. There aren't many players on the planet who could've batted like that. It was devastating. And I think I would have made allowances for his poor form in any case for a few reasons. He's clearly a match winner on his day (with bat and ball). You look at players like Woakes and (to a lesser extent) Jordan and they're good performers. But they are never going to turn in those match-winning performances. I know consistency is a big issue but it seems daft playing it safe when England have so little chance of winning the tournament anyway. Collingwood is spot on in what he has said.

There are quite a number but they aren't English tbf. I like my test match cricket the most but I'll have one eye on this WC. :dances:

He's got the added bonus of being a proper all rounder too. He never bowled a all when he joined Durham funnily enough

He was always an all-rounder. He was touted as such before he signed properly for Durham, when he was still at the academy there. He didn't bowl a lot initially though but that's because Durham have a lot of good bowlers so he was eased into the role as all-rounder. I'm not sure why you think he never bowled a ball though. He got Mark Ramprakash out on his Durham one-day debut (when he was still an academy player), which caused a bit of a stir. He also got a wicket on his first class debut.

Think I mentioned it earlier but 2 years ago AJ Tye was playing in goal for my Sunday League team and pulling pints in the clubhouse. Today he won the Big Bash and was voted 2nd best player at the tournament :lol:

Cool story bro.

I see Steve Harmison has been named manager of Ashington Town.

He's already made his first appointment; Peter from Backworth is going to act as interpreter.

Not really, it's a bit of a shit sport in the grand scheme of things. That has no bearing on my ability to know that this:

8278A69C-4770-47E3-9271-692B84BD5A59_zps

Isn't an elite sportsman.

Genuinely surprised at Stokes getting wickets in his first season at Durham. I was at about 75% of the home games (not all day every day obviously) and can't remember seeing him bowl :lol:

Stopped going a couple of years ago and can't say I miss it