The Cricket Thread

McFaul

Do you like cricket?  

105 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Genuinely excited for the WC to start. I'm sure it will wear off once the tournament starts as its generally structured to always be the longest international tournament going. I think it goes for something like 2 months.

Genuinely excited for the WC to start. I'm sure it will wear off once the tournament starts as its generally structured to always be the longest international tournament going. I think it goes for something like 2 months.

Aye, the format spoils it a bit. The T20 world cup has more of the feel of the old tournament, which was over in about 3 weeks. I think it's 6 or 7 weeks long now, which is too long. I appreciate the ICC wants to develop the game and so on but you've got 6 'minnows' in there. I know some of them, particularly Ireland in recent times, have pulled off some major shocks so I think they have their place but 6 is too many. I would probably only have 2 but even reducing it to 4 and getting rid of one round of matches in each group could probably knock a week off the tournament. All about telly/money though.

Canny article on the daft format by the veteran cricket writer Scyld Berry:

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/cricket/cricket-world-cup/11381617/The-2015-Cricket-World-Cup-is-a-woefully-organised-missed-opportunity.html

The first month will consist of little more than meandering and meaningless middle-practice as we wade through 42 matches which will end up telling us what everybody knew in advance: that the four main teams in each group are stronger than the three minnows. It is an appalling waste of an opportunity to showcase the sport.

Pretty much nails it.

we've gone from one ODI skipper that can't score any runs to another :glare:

at least the top order is looking a bit more aggressive.

still don't fancy our chances to get very far in this WC

All the bigger teams get to the quarters thanks to the dumb format. After that its a lottery. The warm ups are showing it could go any way really. Australia and South Africa the favourites I think on these pitches, with New Zealand the dark horses.

All the bigger teams get to the quarters thanks to the dumb format. After that its a lottery. The warm ups are showing it could go any way really. Australia and South Africa the favourites I think on these pitches, with New Zealand the dark horses.

Seems to me like too many people are calling NZ dark horses to be dark horses. [emoji38]

You don't need to go through all the stats. It's clear that there is a tactical deficiency in Englands play in the shorter formats of the game. We are pathetic at death bowling and terrified of the powerplays both with the bat and ball.

I've only been into cricket for the last three years or so but even I can see that T20 has changed the way that the shorter versions are approached but England are so backwards in their outlook it's unreal. We have talented players in the squad but no idea how to utilise them.

You don't need to go through all the stats. It's clear that there is a tactical deficiency in Englands play in the shorter formats of the game. We are pathetic at death bowling and terrified of the powerplays both with the bat and ball.

I've only been into cricket for the last three years or so but even I can see that T20 has changed the way that the shorter versions are approached but England are so backwards in their outlook it's unreal. We have talented players in the squad but no idea how to utilise them.

I already knew we were shit at the one day game, just not in that much detail. And while I agree T20 has moved the game on we were shit well before that was the case. Last knockout tie we won at a World Cup was in 1992 I think :lol:

Absolutely pitiful. I woke up about half six and switched it on hoping to see the finish. Feared the worst when I saw they were already replaying it. Turned it off just after Taylor's wicket went, must have been a collapse of epic proportions even by our standards.

I'm going to have to move on to Rugby Union here in my attempts to find an England team that I can have some pride in. Although three day eventing might be a better bet!

Not trying to be a smart arse at all here but England v Bangladesh is likely going to be the game that decides if England make the knockout stages.

Bangladesh are a decent side these days. They're definitely a step above the minnows at least so I would give them a good chance of giving your lot a good shake.

And as shit as England have played so far if they make the knockout stages its a clean slate for everyone. Then anything can happen.