The Cricket Thread

McFaul

Do you like cricket?  

105 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Its a shame the final wasnt more of a contest from a neutrals point of view. The Kiwis had a fine tournament but the Aussies outplayed them when it mattered, so credit to them. Theres disappointment here obviously but I'm sure the Kiwi lads will still be treated like heroes when they return.

Agreed. It was a bit of a fizzer from a neutrals stand point but that's cricket sometimes. To be fair to the Kiwis they played their final against the South Africans, that would have taken a lot out of them mentally whereas Australia built themselves up and peaked in the final. I personally never gave the Kiwis a chance before the tournament started but the performances they strung together were class. They are a very good team.

But a fitting end for an Australian side who had been a rabble not too long ago and the perfect farewell for a captain who has served and seen out the bad times this team has had to go through over the years and come out the other side with the Cup. So all that's left is to retain the Ashes now.

I really hope England can at least be competitive although there isn't much time to regroup. :lol:

I would be preparing spin friendly pitches like. Even then, we're in bother. Be nice for the likes of Ken to see an away Ashes series win for the first time I suppose ;)

Who plays as England's spinner? It's all well and good preparing spin friendly pitches but you've gotta have a good spinner (or two) to take advantage of it. I'd put Nathan Lyon ahead of anything England has at the moment in the spin department. An average spin bowler on a turning wicket is still an average spinner and Australia will handle that no worries.

Look at the WC. Spinners generally got carted everywhere like never before yet the likes of Tahir, Vettori and Ashwin were some of the best bowlers in the tournament. That's the difference between average and good quality spin bowling.

I think your lot would have a better chance just letting English wickets be English wickets (ie. bit of grass for the seamers) and hope Anderson can get the Duke ball reversing. The Australian batsmen still suck arse against reverse swing because they don't have to face it very often since Aussie Kookaburra balls generally don't go reverse.

In saying all that, I do think England's Test team is light years ahead of the ODI squad. Ballance is a class player at 3. Cook is a great opening bat when he's not in career worst form. Root is probably one of the best batsmen in the world. Bell is solid. Stokes is a good player. Your bowling is a bit of a worry. You need Anderson to play well.

On a side note. I see Trott is back in the side. The piss weak flouncing pansie. Says he's stressed and needs a break and everyone's understanding. Then he gets home and he starts denying there's anything wrong with him. Carrying on about people with stress related disorders like Stevie after a week on the turps.

On a side note. I see Trott is back in the side. The piss weak flouncing pansie. Says he's stressed and needs a break and everyone's understanding. Then he gets home and he starts denying there's anything wrong with him. Carrying on about people with stress related disorders like Stevie after a week on the turps.

Aye you being serious here?

i'm not sure i'd go along with root being one of the best batsmen in the world. i feel for him a bit as he's been shunted up and down the order like a yo yo since he broke into the side. he's not an opener at test level and he has been in better nick lately, but he still looks a bit vulnerable outside off stump to be considered among the world's best, just yet. though he could mature into that player. he clearly has potential.

England seem mentally weak to me. Maybe the set up or the management doesn't breed confidence or a good spirit....seems from a distance.like something needs to change cos I cant believe we dont have the talent to compete

Yeah. Maybe you're right.

I haven't seen as much of him as you probably have. I rate him though. He's a classy player.

future captain material too. the selectors always talk about him having an old head on young shoulders. even a sucker punch from aussie redneck warner failed to ruffle his feathers.

:lol: Yeah poor Davey isn't the sharpest tool in the shed.

I think you're right about Root and the captaincy. He definitely seems like he has the temperament for it.

If England can find some bowlers from somewhere (ie. South Africa ;) ) your lot could be back on top again sooner rather than later.

No.

Pretty much belittling somebody for having a mental illness.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/cricket/international/england/10701664/Jonathan-Trott-must-accept-team-mates-and-opponents-will-feel-he-did-a-runner.html

I feel a little bit conned we were told Jonathan Trott’s problems in Australia were a stress-related illness he had suffered for years.

We were allowed to believe he was struggling with a serious mental health issue and treated him with sensitivity and sympathy. He was obviously not in a great place but he was struggling for cricketing reasons and not mental, and there is a massive difference. There is a danger we are starting to use stress-related illness and depression too quickly as tags for players under pressure.

In his interview with Sky Sports he then completely disrespected anybody who has gone through depression and mental illness by using words such as “nutcase” or “crazy”. We have all said things we regret in the media but I find it staggering he is so ill-informed that he used those words.

I have friends who have been diagnosed with depression. They are not nutcases or crazy. They have picked up an illness that is invisible to others but can be debilitating. We have seen other England cricketers suffer from depression and I do not think Trott realises just how important an issue it is.

I have no doubt he was going through hard times in Australia but as professional sportsmen playing in a high-profile, intense series such as the Ashes against good opposition you are going to endure stress when your form goes. It is part of the job.

From the linked article by Michael Vaughan at the time.

Mate, I was belittling a guy for belittling people with mental illnesses.

Now I'm belittling a guy for not knowing what he's on about. ;)

@toontl He came out and tried to put a brave face on things but had to take a break about a month after that and couldn't even play for Warwickshire because of his mental health issues.

Either way it's well documented the problems that he has had and I find it crass calling him a piss weak flouncing pansie after what he has had to put up with.