The Cricket Thread

McFaul

Do you like cricket?  

105 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

:lol: These Aussies are getting uppity again.

Surprised more don't support the mackems tbh. They've got the mentality perfected

:lol: These Aussies are getting uppity again.

Bugger off you two. :lol:

@toontl He came out and tried to put a brave face on things but had to take a break about a month after that and couldn't even play for Warwickshire because of his mental health issues.

Either way it's well documented the problems that he has had and I find it crass calling him a piss weak flouncing pansie after what he has had to put up with.

Nah mate. He had a month off because of 'burnout'. As he described it. I never once saw anything in the press mentioning that he wished to retract his statements that people with mental illnesses weren't 'nutcases', as he put it.

Trott's problem is that he's scared of facing short pitched bowling. Plain and simple. That's not a mental illness unless you consider being a coward a mental illness.

He returned, after a month (which says a lot for the veracity of him actually having a mental illness) to county cricket because he obviously thought he'd be sweet against county opposition. Until he got badged after being bounced all day.

I fully understand the severity and sensitivity of mental health issues. I agree with you that people who dismiss it as 'not a real disease' or advise people to 'toughen up' or whatever are crass at best. I'm not doing that. I'm dismissing Trott for being a piss weak coward who used a serious illness and the people who suffer from it as his personal shield.

Nah mate. He had a month off because of 'burnout'. As he described it. I never once saw anything in the press mentioning that he wished to retract his statements that people with mental illnesses weren't 'nutcases', as he put it.

Trott's problem is that he's scared of facing short pitched bowling. Plain and simple. That's not a mental illness unless you consider being a coward a mental illness.

He returned, after a month (which says a lot for the veracity of him actually having a mental illness) to county cricket because he obviously thought he'd be sweet against county opposition. Until he got badged after being bounced all day.

I fully understand the severity and sensitivity of mental health issues. I agree with you that people who dismiss it as 'not a real disease' or advise people to 'toughen up' or whatever are crass at best. I'm not doing that. I'm dismissing Trott for being a piss weak coward who used a serious illness and the people who suffer from it as his personal shield.

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/people/jonathan-trott-and-the-problems-of-describing-mental-illness-9275507.html

Beautifully written article about the seriousness of mental illness and its associated misconceptions perpetuated by many members of society. Members of society like Johnathon Trott for example.

Am I missing the part in there where Trott apologises for equating mental illness with insanity?

Beautifully written article about the seriousness of mental illness and its associated misconceptions perpetuated by many members of society. Members of society like Johnathon Trott for example.

Am I missing the part in there where Trott apologises for equating mental illness with insanity?

Well you certainly didn't start out to make that point, you only came up with it after being called out for calling the bloke a coward. I dare say you're partially right about Trotts attitude, but it may also suggest that he doesn't fully understand the ins and outs of his complaint himself.

Well you certainly didn't start out to make that point.

In fact that's exactly the point I was making initially. I was comparing Trott's criticism of and critical misunderstanding of mental illness to the way in which Stevie criticised and misunderstood mental illnesses right here on the forum last week.

It's quite clear...

Carrying on about people with stress related disorders like Stevie after a week on the turps.

Then I further clarified my exact beef with Trott...

I never once saw anything in the press mentioning that he wished to retract his statements that people with mental illnesses weren't 'nutcases', as he put it.

It should be fairly clear that I'm not belittling mental illness. I'm defending people with mental illnesses from an idiot who should know better. So I don't need to 'come up' with anything.

To be fair to toonotl, when I read his original post I took it to mean exactly what he's been trying to explain to you spanners ever since. I was always top of the class for reading comprehension though. :razz:

To be fair to toonotl, when I read his original post I took it to mean exactly what he's been trying to explain to you spanners ever since. I was always top of the class for reading comprehension though. :razz:

Well yeah, and I did acknowledge he had a vague point with that. The article I quoted did seem to imply that ttl's point of view on Trott's issues in general was "absurdly simplistic" though. Which I also agree with.

:lol:

This is my punishment for trying to use forum politics to form part of an analogy.

Never go full meta.

I have no idea what this post means, but have a nice day/evening :)

Ritchie Benaud has died. A man who genuinely deserves to be called a legend

Yep. Sad day. He's been in poor health for awhile now so it's not unexpected but still a sad day for cricket.

Richie Benaud's wife has asked for a quiet funeral; He was offered a state funeral by Premier and PM. My summers as a child, to an adolescent, growing to full muturity, had always involved Richie. Gone but never to be forgotten.

Had Jordan and Anderson not made a bit of a fist of it at the end it would have looked like a really piss poor score. Broad at one point was looking like he was almost an all rounder. Now he might as well be coming in behind Anderson.

At least the bowling was a bit better.

• 3 weeks later...

looks like strauss is set for the ECB director role. wrong man, if you ask me. yes he took england to number 1 test side int he world, but he's just as conservative in his approach to the game as moores and cook. it'll be more of the type of cautious selections and cricket that has seen us go backwards in the past couple of years. i think vaughan would have been a much more progressive appointment but it sounds like he's out of the running.