The Cricket Thread

McFaul

Do you like cricket?  

105 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

funny reading the commentary this morning. everyone has written them off, perhaps rightly. the worst bit for the aussies is that this isn't the best england team of recent years. though it's ominous for them that cook, trott and pietersen haven't really got going in this series. they're all bound to make big scores at some stage.

but i just can't write them off completely, despite the comprehensive thrashing that was the lords test, even at 2-0 down.

I think you.re right, they could easily have won the first test. Their bowlers are pretty good imo but if clarke fails they don't seem to have anyone in their top six who can hunker down and accumulate a big score. I would drop watson down the order to no 5 and promote khwaja to opener with clarke at 3 or 4.

Edited by Kitman

Can't wait on the odds to be posted for the Scotland v aussie ODI on 3rd September ... both teams with decent bowlers but neither can bat for fukin toffee so might be worth a punt on us jocks to do the green caps if the weather up here holds for the day

• 2 weeks later...

good to see the aussies making a contest of it. haven't seen england toil in the field like this for a while. looks like a chief executive's pitch. got draw written all over it, but you never know - scoreboard pressure could get to our lot if they post over 550. plus their pace attack looks better placed to get something out of this deck. we could rue not playing tremlett. bresnan is a tight bowler and adds depth to the batting but he's a bit too similar to broad and anderson - not really a plan b in that attack is there?

good to see the aussies making a contest of it. haven't seen england toil in the field like this for a while. looks like a chief executive's pitch. got draw written all over it, but you never know - scoreboard pressure could get to our lot if they post over 550. plus their pace attack looks better placed to get something out of this deck. we could rue not playing tremlett. bresnan is a tight bowler and adds depth to the batting but he's a bit too similar to broad and anderson - not really  a plan b in that attack is there? 

How is it good to see them making a contest of it? That attitude boils my piss.

Been on today, interesting if not exciting day of cricket.

Clarke left it too late with the declaration and ended up wasting time he could've used and that review with Warner was shocking.

How is it good to see them making a contest of it? That attitude boils my piss.

Makes it more of a spectacle. Good for the game. You want a tough contest, not a white wash. It's the Aussies, not Banger. They've reacted exactly as I thought they would - they haven't rolled over. Good on them.

Piss off man I'd love to humiliate them. Could you imagine an Aussie saying what you are now if it was the other way round? Could you fuck and rightly so.

Series against Bangladesh are dull as dish water because we always whitewash them.

Ashes series are the pinnacle of test cricket because the Aussies never roll over. Even when they're not very good. I think it would be a shame if they turned into the England side of the 90s. They're not gutless. And even though I still don't think they're very good, and I fully expect and want us to complete a convincing series win, a more competitive Ashes series is good for test match cricket.

This is the biggest rivalry in the game and one of the few series that still attracts sell out crowds when test match attendances around the globe are dwindling. A compelling Ashes series is good for the game. I think most Aussies would agree. Was it really that much fun spanking us all those years without any fight from us? I doubt it.

Piss off man I'd love to humiliate them. Could you imagine an Aussie saying what you are now if it was the other way round? Could you fuck and rightly so.

What a bitter little pissant you are.Can't you just settle down and enjoy cricket for what it is supposed to be? ignoring what David Warner did to Jack Root's face. We all don't need to stoop down to his level.

See this test (and the first at Trent Bridge) is what Ashes cricket is all about. Bell and KP going well but a couple of quick wickets for oz and suddenly it all looks very different. The game is evenly poised and absorbing.

Ken, serious question - did you enjoy the days where England would just turn up for a rogering or have you preferred watching the last few series, which have been close fought and compelling contests, despite the fact you've been on the losing side more often than not?

What a bitter little pissant you are.Can't you just settle down and enjoy cricket for what it is supposed to be? ignoring what David Warner did to Jack Root's face. We all don't need to stoop down to his level.

Just like the Australian fans have told us to ignore Broad not walking? Or one bad decision on Khawaja which had the PM foaming at the mouth despite the fact Smith shoulda been out after.

See this test (and the first at Trent Bridge) is what Ashes cricket is all about. Bell and KP going well but a couple of quick wickets for oz and suddenly it all looks very different. The game is evenly poised and absorbing.

Ken, serious question - did you enjoy the days where England would just turn up for a rogering or have you preferred watching the last few series, which have been close fought and compelling contests, despite the fact you've been on the losing side more often than not?

While it was great to have once-in-a-generation players like Warne and McGrath, I much prefer to see a genuine contest, whereby both teams have a genuine ability to do one on the other. At the moment it is coming down to who wins the toss that decides who has the upper hand (disregarding the way in which we lost in the 2nd test).

Just like the Australian fans have told us to ignore Broad not walking? Or one bad decision on Khawaja which had the PM foaming at the mouth despite the fact Smith shoulda been out after.

The DRS is there for a reason - players don't need to do the gentlemanly thing anymore - and Broad was within his rights to stand his ground. As for the Khawaja deision - that was tantamount to cheating. What else can you say about that? And I'd rather keep our PM out of all this. He is a bellend - a supposed progessionist who is sending assylum seekers and economic refugees to a tribal third world country for resettlement, based upon an agreement written up on two little pages. He also eats his ear wax. True story, Youtube it...

While it was great to have once-in-a-generation players like Warne and McGrath, I much prefer to see a genuine contest, whereby both teams have a genuine ability to do one on the other. At the moment it is coming down to who wins the toss that decides who has the upper hand (disregarding the way in which we lost in the 2nd test).

Not sure about that. I think this Aussie side is the worst in my lifetime but the fact you're still making a game of it speaks volumes about the Australian fighting spirit. Better England sides would have rolled over already. Still don't think you'd have had much of a chance of winning the series, even if you were to get a result today, but at least it gives you confidence going into the next series, where the wickets will be more to your batters' liking.

England still look a better side overall to me but there isn't as much in it as many pundits were saying after Lords. The main thing we've got is the depth in the bowling attack. Bresnan arguably should have been dropped for Tremlett for this match. I fully expect onions to come in for the Durham test.

Today is set up to be a nail biter. The kind of day you want 11 Paul Collingwoods in the side to roll up their sleeves, get blocking and chalk up innings of 30 or 40 runs off 200 balls.

Shame the weather looks set to spoil it.

bit of an anticlimactic way to retain the ashes, from the balcony in the drizzle.

i liked this comment from the bbc cricket feed.

David, TMS inbox: I have always thought of myself as an England supporter and I am, but I don't want us to retain the Ashes in this manner. I thought of myself as win-at-all-cost type of person, but the Lord's Test knocked that out of me, it was a bore. I want to be hiding behind the sofa biting my nails, having a small heart attack and flushing the toilet at regular intervals. How about abandoning today and playing tomorrow, so I can get my fix.