The Cricket Thread

McFaul

Do you like cricket?  

105 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

I’d been to the miners gala the day before and somehow ended up having a full night out in Newcastle. 

Woke up as soon as I could and set off for CLS. Turned up at my brothers door in the same clothes at 10 am, stinking of booze, carrying booze. We had a fun day :lol:

I put my Newcastle United head on quite early on in the match & fully expected to get beat for the duration.

My brother could barely watch the super overs so in the final one he filmed me instead as I ran off into the kitchen celebrating & back into the living room....colliding flush into a door. Painful.

What a summer, man. I didn’t think it could be topped but Stokes at Headingly probably just about did. I remember we were at a BBQ at Heaton Stannington FC. It was a lovely day and Newcastle later beat Spurs by a Joelinton goal. As if that wasn’t incredible enough. That innings, ffs. Everybody thought it was all over. When it became vaguely possible, I went outside and said to me Dad - you better come and fucking watch this, mind. Although I was worried even that would jinx it 😂 Nobody would even go for a piss. Then when Nosferatu missed the run out. Me heart nearly stopped. Then Jack Leach got the greatest single of all time. Absolutely incredible to watch 

• Like 2

I’d been to see Newcastle Women vs Sunderland at the SOL. Everyone had been checking their phones and we really didn’t think anything would happen despite the progress Stokes was making, it felt delicate. (Because it was :lol: )

I had TMS on the way back on the radio and nearly crashed the car when we couldn’t lose & I went mental when we won.

I’ve listened to it back a couple of times since & It’s an unbelievable listen.They played it when  I was driving back from Scotland and England/Pakistan was rained off & I was proper getting goosebumps.

• Like 1

Bess with the luckiest five for you'll probably ever see this morning.  Bowled very averagely all morning and the Sri Lankans kept giving away wickets.  Then the we should have got the 10th wicket on a run out but somehow the tv umpire didn't see the bat wasn't grounded and gave a not out.  Cue one of the worst attempts at a reverse sweep for his fifth.  He wants to get the lottery on tonight.

• Like 1

Anyone watched Aus v India overnight/ this morning? 

How good seeing them Aussies twats humbled by India's second string? Rishab Pant is a very decent player in the mould of a wicket-keeping Ben Stokes. Pujara will be black and blue all over but fuck me he took everything they sent his way.

Probably one of the greatest test series ever played. The upside to being locked down is watching more of this than I could have in normal times. 

Paines had a lot of credit since becoming test captain but as a player I can't see much in him at all.  And his captaincy has had a few knocks this series so they may well look to move him on.  Not sure who else would replace him as keeper, Wade does well in state and franchise cricket but always looks a weak link when he's played for Australia.

We should certainly take confidence for the Ashes in seeing an severly under strength India beat them.  Our upcoming games against India are another matter.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, David Kelly said:

Paines had a lot of credit since becoming test captain but as a player I can't see much in him at all.  And his captaincy has had a few knocks this series so they may well look to move him on.  Not sure who else would replace him as keeper, Wade does well in state and franchise cricket but always looks a weak link when he's played for Australia.

We should certainly take confidence for the Ashes in seeing an severly under strength India beat them.  Our upcoming games against India are another matter.

take smith and labuschagne out of the picture and their batting is pretty ordinary, but then ours is hit and miss too. 

their bowling attack is v good. i think we're still two evenly matched teams so hopefully it should be a compeittive series down there for the first time in a while 

On 12/01/2021 at 23:30, Alex said:

What a summer, man. I didn’t think it could be topped but Stokes at Headingly probably just about did. I remember we were at a BBQ at Heaton Stannington FC. It was a lovely day and Newcastle later beat Spurs by a Joelinton goal. As if that wasn’t incredible enough. That innings, ffs. Everybody thought it was all over. When it became vaguely possible, I went outside and said to me Dad - you better come and fucking watch this, mind. Although I was worried even that would jinx it 😂 Nobody would even go for a piss. Then when Nosferatu missed the run out. Me heart nearly stopped. Then Jack Leach got the greatest single of all time. Absolutely incredible to watch 

I had a cracking day. Was at Silverstone with my Dad for the MotoGP. Got back to the village we were staying in and watched the last 90mins of the Stokes innings, followed by us beating Spurs.

Was red hot all day too 😊

Edited by Kid Dynamite

20 hours ago, Dr Gloom said:

take smith and labuschagne out of the picture and their batting is pretty ordinary, but then ours is hit and miss too. 

their bowling attack is v good. i think we're still two evenly matched teams so hopefully it should be a compeittive series down there for the first time in a while 

Aye Warner seems to be on the decline and then the rest of their batsman have been very average.  That might change to an extent if Puckovski and Green can deliver on their potential.  Both are averaging over 50 in first class cricket and have made decent starts to their Test careers too.  Green is taking wickets at 25 too.  He's not took an international wicket yet but if he can transfer that then they'll have the all rounder they've been crying out for year for.

Both teams look like they have some potentially very good young batsmen coming through.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, David Kelly said:

Aye Warner seems to be on the decline and then the rest of their batsman have been very average.  That might change to an extent if Puckovski and Green can deliver on their potential.  Both are averaging over 50 in first class cricket and have made decent starts to their Test careers too.  Green is taking wickets at 25 too.  He's not took an international wicket yet but if he can transfer that then they'll have the all rounder they've been crying out for year for.

Both teams look like they have some potentially very good young batsmen coming through.

there really isn't much between the batting line ups, smith aside. 

it'll hinge on on how our bowlers perform in aussie conditions, where broad and anderson have toiled in recent series. archer will play a crucial role. he should be v dangerous on their wickets with the extra bounce he extracts. wood will take wickets too, if he can stay fit. i'd play those two with stokes then rotate broad, anderson and woakes for the other spot. 

12 hours ago, Dr Gloom said:

it'll hinge on on how our bowlers perform in aussie conditions, where broad and anderson have toiled in recent series. archer will play a crucial role. he should be v dangerous on their wickets with the extra bounce he extracts. wood will take wickets too, if he can stay fit. i'd play those two with stokes then rotate broad, anderson and woakes for the other spot. 

The issue with the extra bounce is that they must pitch it up.  The last couple of tours they have bowled too short and very few balls would actually have hit the stumps.  If Anderson and Broad do that, which they do normally, there is no reason why they can't succeed in Oz.  It just needs proper plans in place, not a short-pitched strategy all the time.

• Like 1

FYI Cricket Australia has been in battle with the local broadcaster over money and things have been financially tight.

Plus India has played a good game on and off the pitch, holding CA to ransom over a lot of Covid related "issues" which has no doubt had some people's eyes off the ball.

Still say it is a shame the Aust team is full of cheating, mindless cunts.

BTW I'm working on a show with Merv Hughes atm, very funny man and likes to say fuck a lot. Shame Australian cricketeers aren't like him and cousin Doug these days.

6 hours ago, RobinRobin said:

The issue with the extra bounce is that they must pitch it up.  The last couple of tours they have bowled too short and very few balls would actually have hit the stumps.  If Anderson and Broad do that, which they do normally, there is no reason why they can't succeed in Oz.  It just needs proper plans in place, not a short-pitched strategy all the time.

jimmy's averaged 27 and took 17 wickets in the last tour of Oz, so he can still take wickets and provide control but he can look pedestrian when it isn't swinging. the problem last time is we had the likes of craig overton coming in, a strange selection, who the aussies were happy to pick off once they'd seen off broad and anderson. 

you need some hostility to win a series down under and in archer and wood we have two bowlers who can regularly hit 90mph. archer in particular should do well with his height. he gets the extra bounce that troubles batsmen on those bouncy aussie pitches. i think we have our best chance since that tour when chris tremlett looked like superman and he is a similar type of bowler to archer.

we just need to work out a way to get smith out.

4 minutes ago, Dr Gloom said:

we just need to work out a way to get smith out.

You actually don't, you just need to get the other batsman out, Smith can't carry the team  (and be the twat he is) without other batsman.

Just saying.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, sammynb said:

You actually don't, you just need to get the other batsman out, Smith can't carry the team  (and be the twat he is) without other batsman.

Just saying.

he did pretty much just that on the aussie's last tour of england. it was only labuschagne who otherwise made meaningful contributions. broad had warner, who looked like a busted flush, in his pocket all series, though i'm sure he'll be much happier facing us on home ground.

archer is the key player for us. he should provide even more of a threat in australia than he does in england

• Like 1