The Cricket Thread

McFaul

Do you like cricket?  

105 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

1 hour ago, Alex said:

I think they’ve said there’s a strict rotation policy because of all the tests this year and the extra pressure of covid and all that comes with that for the players 

ah, yeah. forgot about that. 

35 minutes ago, David Kelly said:

It's amazing how he got 400+ runs in Sri Lanka sweeping virtually everything and barely swept anything this morning.

Hopefully he can keep this form going for the rest of the year!

and hopefully root's return to form dovetails with smith's demise!

2 hours ago, Dr Gloom said:

was crawly dropped on form for lawrence? if i'm being ultra critical think putting him in at 3 in india was throwing him in at the deep end a bit, when crawley has runs in the bank in that position 

Crawley's not dropped but is out of first 2 tests, he slipped coming out of the changing rooms the other day and has injured his wrist

Edited by Toonpack
  • Like 2

can anyone explain why england seem content to be padding off balls and seeing out maiden overs at this stage of the game? we've probably got enough runs as it is. i can understand trying to bat them out of the game, in which case, we would surely be better off attacking now while leaving enough time for us to bowl them out? bess's 13 has come from 44 deliveries. nothing wrong with that in text match cricket, but in the context of where the match is now? 

11 minutes ago, Dr Gloom said:

can anyone explain why england seem content to be padding off balls and seeing out maiden overs at this stage of the game? we've probably got enough runs as it is. i can understand trying to bat them out of the game, in which case, we would surely be better off attacking now while leaving enough time for us to bowl them out? bess's 13 has come from 44 deliveries. nothing wrong with that in text match cricket, but in the context of where the match is now? 

They want to take any chance of India win out of the equation and make them bat defensively for time rather than attack, this lot chased 329 at the Gabba last game.

Edited by Toonpack

1 minute ago, Toonpack said:

They want to take any chance of India win out of the equation and make them bat defensively for time rather than attack, this lot chased 396 (I think) as the Wacca last game.

but if you give india a small a sniff of victory, and they go on the attack, you probably have more chance of getting them out. you have to back your bowlers on a wearing day 5 pitch on the sub continent and in the unlikely event that they do chase down 400+ you would have to say fair play, that's extraordinary. it just feels like a negative strategy which is potentially reducing our chances of victory. 

though that said, buttler just got out in the right way in the circumstances, trying to move the game along and bess has come out of his shell a little in the past couple of overs. archer is probably the ideal batsmen coming in in these circumstances, if he can stay in for a few overs for once. 

3 minutes ago, Dr Gloom said:

but if you give india a small a sniff of victory, and they go on the attack, you probably have more chance of getting them out. you have to back your bowlers on a wearing day 5 pitch on the sub continent and in the unlikely event that they do chase down 400+ you would have to say fair play, that's extraordinary. it just feels like a negative strategy which is potentially reducing our chances of victory. 

though that said, buttler just got out in the right way in the circumstances, trying to move the game along and bess has come out of his shell a little in the past couple of overs. archer is probably the ideal batsmen coming in in these circumstances, if he can stay in for a few overs for once. 

Well there you go, bloody unlucky, flicked his pad into the ball just before ball hits bat, I reckon they'll declare and have 20 overs tonight at them

2 minutes ago, Dr Gloom said:

wickets falling, and still they bat on with leach and anderson to follow. looks like batting time out of the game is the strategy

23 overs left in the day, bat one more and that leaves 20 for tonight, (minus 2 for change innings) could just fling the bat now though I guess and see how many they can get.

It made no sense to me to carry on batting those last few overs.  What if Anderson, Leach, Archer or Bess had took a knock to the hand and they couldn't bowl.  The ten runs or so we got from the last few overs will make no difference but we would have been fucked if we lost one of those bowlers, not to mention the additional few overs bowling could be crucial.  I don't get it at all.

With all that said, there was 15 wickets today 9 more on a day five pitch should be well within our capabilities.

• Like 1

if they declared half an hour before they were bowled out they might have taken another wicket or two while still leaving an almost impossible run chase. the procrastination has just increased the odds of a draw. 

Absolutely fantastic by Jimmy this morning proving he is still the best in any conditions.  Well done to Leach as well coming back from a spanking off Pant in the first innings.

Great result which should give us the confidence to be competitive in the rest of the series.