Jump to content

Do you like cricket?  

102 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Recommended Posts

  • Replies 5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

If only @Ken‘s missus hadn’t left him all those years ago, his liver wouldn’t be the enlarged mess it is now, and his neighbours might still speak to him.             

DINGO TOOK KENS BABY

Posted Images

When you’ve got people saying he shouldn’t be banned and others saying he shouldn’t play for England again a short suspension seems like a reasonable compromise. It also doesn’t help his caused when absolute bigots like the Prime Minister have weighed in with their support. I think I’d rather have Tommy Robinson on side 

Link to post
Share on other sites
55 minutes ago, Tom said:

Still I think the idea of suspending someone for a 10 year old tweet is mental 

Course it is. 

 

A rational, reasonable world would not be interested in dredging it up. Or if it was dredged up, that rational reasonable world would see that it's a stupid offensive thing from a kid and dismiss it. 

 

But we live in a shitshow.

Link to post
Share on other sites

It's interesting that the only two people I've actually heard say that he should be banned or that Boris and Dowden should pipe down are Carberry and Ramprakash.  Carberry saying that he shouldn't play cricket again seems absolutely ridiculous but he's obviously felt the effects of racism like most of us never have or will.  Ramprakash said if Moeen or Rashid had been part of the team last week this would have been a massive issue in the dressing room.

I think we have to consider there is quite a problem within sport in this country and if they want to attract minorities into the game they have to do something more than wear a t-shirt or take the knee.

That said, while I can understand the ECB suspending Robinson while they conduct an investigation (something they surely should be doing before they call a player up in the first place) a long term ban for someone posting some offensive tweets when they were 18 and probably pissed would be way over the top.  After all Stokes bust some kids jaw in a nightclub and is a national hero.  People in all walks of life make mistaes and commit crimes and are allowed to be rehabilitated.  Robinson hasn't even commited a crime.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

What I don’t agree with is Carberry saying people like that can’t be rehabilitated. You can say something daft you don’t even mean to impress your mates at that age. And I don’t think I’ve ever met anyone whose views etc didn’t change somewhat over time. 

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

There's a massive difference between making a shit joke or just saying something offensive that you didn't mean to and being an EDL member looking for a fight with minorities.  People can certainly be educated out of the former but it's a lot more difficult to expect pricks like Tommy Robison to change.

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, David Kelly said:

It's interesting that the only two people I've actually heard say that he should be banned or that Boris and Dowden should pipe down are Carberry and Ramprakash.  Carberry saying that he shouldn't play cricket again seems absolutely ridiculous but he's obviously felt the effects of racism like most of us never have or will.  Ramprakash said if Moeen or Rashid had been part of the team last week this would have been a massive issue in the dressing room.

I think we have to consider there is quite a problem within sport in this country and if they want to attract minorities into the game they have to do something more than wear a t-shirt or take the knee.

That said, while I can understand the ECB suspending Robinson while they conduct an investigation (something they surely should be doing before they call a player up in the first place) a long term ban for someone posting some offensive tweets when they were 18 and probably pissed would be way over the top.  After all Stokes bust some kids jaw in a nightclub and is a national hero.  People in all walks of life make mistaes and commit crimes and are allowed to be rehabilitated.  Robinson hasn't even commited a crime.

Surely the point is that Robinson has learned from his childish mistake? Isn't that what we're going for? 

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, The Fish said:

Surely the point is that Robinson has learned from his childish mistake? Isn't that what we're going for? 

Yeah but that needs to be investigated and confirmed.  Him just saying it because he's been caught out isn't really going to carry much weight.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, David Kelly said:

Yeah but that needs to be investigated and confirmed.  Him just saying it because he's been caught out isn't really going to carry much weight.

Sure, but I guess my point is that if the narrative shifted it's less confrontational and is more collaborative?

Link to post
Share on other sites
27 minutes ago, The Fish said:

Sure, but I guess my point is that if the narrative shifted it's less confrontational and is more collaborative?

I think what they've anounced in terms of his suspension is probably a bit over the top.  A better wording may have just been that he's been took out of the spotlight until it's thoroughly investigated.  They only needed to do it for the next match and then Stokes, Woakes & Curran should all be available for the India series so they can easily excuse him not playing on the basis that while he did very well in the match he played, those players are currently ahead of him in the queue anyway.  That gives them plenty of time to investigate and impose a reasonable sanction/punishment.

I do feel though that they've went down the route they have so as to be seen to taking it incredibly seriously.  They've had criticism for stopping taking the knee then they made a big thing about the moment of inclusion or whatever before the game.  Added to that the case of the two umpires and that of Azeem Rafiq, I think they will have just thought we have to be seen to be doing something serious.

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
14 hours ago, David Kelly said:

something they surely should be doing before they call a player up in the first place

This!  It is surely not difficult and should be top of the list.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Just watched the highlights. Crawley is massively struggling at number 3. Felt for Bracey too. Two tests to make an impression, two ducks, no runs. He looked properly gutted. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
14 hours ago, Alex said:

You’d be gutted if you’d managed to get a ticket for today at edgbaston

Probably gutted if you got a ticket from beyond lunchtime on the first day.  The ECB needs to sort out this saving players - they won't be ready when the time comes due to a lack of cricket (which will of course be the excuse) :bang:

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Ben Stokes: England all-rounder to miss India Test series and to take 'indefinite break' from all cricket
 

this makes me think there’s a major story about him about to come out...or maybe he just needs a rest?  :unsure2:

Link to post
Share on other sites

His finger injury hasn’t properly healed and the circuit is pretty relentless is you’re playing all formats of the game including the IPL. They barely get to spend a night at home over the course of a year. Hopefully he just needs a break 

Edited by Alex
  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
×
×
  • Create New...