The Cricket Thread

McFaul

Do you like cricket?  

105 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

A lot of heads need to roll after this, but won't.  Silverwood's position is untenable and probably Giles as well.  No coincidence that the only time they showed any bottle was when Silverwood was sidelined with COVID along with most of his coaches.

Very little good came out of this, but I though Wood was outstanding.  Given that he was not expected to last more than 5 overs at a time and probably only a couple of tests, his heart was outstanding.

I am sorry about Woakes, though.  He may be brilliant in England, but if he is not going to be any use overseas, is it worth persisting with him at home and stopping another player coming through?

Robinson needs to sort out his fitness.  That was completely unacceptable in a professional sportsman.  He also need to find another 10kph from somewhere.

However, the bowlers were really the success (for want of a better word).  In most cases, they did what was asked of them, but got no rest because the batters could not score.

Root's captaincy was poor, I am afraid, and I think it probably impacted his batting.  His tactics, which were probably shared with Silverwood, were nonsensical at times, and the use of Stokes as an "enforcer" just resulted in being a bowler down for most of the last 3 tests.

Not sure who should take over though.  No one outstanding (or even sure of their place).

Having said that, Australia's bowlers were head and shoulders above ours.  When you consider that one of the major wicket takers was Bowland who was, essentially, their 6th choice fast bowler, then England is fucked. 

And will be for a long time until they start using the same ball as everyone else, make flatter pitches, and clear out the coaching staff.  They need the same approach to red ball cricket that they took for white ball.  And they need to do it now.

• Like 2

16 minutes ago, Dr Gloom said:

I’d give it to Dizzie Gillespie. He knows the English game, is a quality coach and regaining the ashes next summer guided by an Aussie would be sweet. 

I don’t want going to anyone with a Yorkshire bias any time soon. I’d love to see Strauss back in at the top but with the red ball focus RobinRobin mentioned. 
Kirsten wanted the coach’s job last time and is interested again. Apparently his PowerPoint presentation wasn’t as good as Silverwood’s last time. Giles is a fucking joke too so he’ll probably retain his place and Silverwood will take the rap 

• Like 1

Just now, Alex said:

I don’t want going to anyone with a Yorkshire bias any time soon. I’d love to see Strauss back in at the top but with the red ball focus RobinRobin mentioned. 
Kirsten wanted the coach’s job last time and is interested again. Apparently his PowerPoint presentation wasn’t as good as Silverwood’s last time. Giles is a fucking joke too so he’ll probably retain his place and Silverwood will take the rap 

How the fuck is Alex posting without the forced line spacing?! 

@Antwhat is going on here? 

21 minutes ago, Gemmill said:

How the fuck is Alex posting without the forced line spacing?! 

@Antwhat is going on here? 

What am I doing (looks normal to me on my phone)? 

If I press enter once, I automatically get a line space and then my new para starts. And I'm not sure it's working that way for everyone. 

Seems like you would have to press enter twice to get the same result? 

I'll have to get Sue Gray onto this if Ant doesn't get his shit together. 

• Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Was keeping an eye on it via cricinfo during the day/evening and it was all going pretty well, so I thought as we'd finished what we were watching, I'll watch the last over, sorry Mr Lawrence, my fault !!!

Root is in some run of form mind !!!

• 2 weeks later...