The Cricket Thread

McFaul

Do you like cricket?  

105 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

I’m not sure removing the captaincy from Root changes anything. It’s still the same players, the same team which in the same way time and time again. This series also suggests the next generation of strike

bowlers isn’t ready to replace Anderson and Broad. I can understand why they’re looking to replace Anderson but Broad surely has a few years left in him. What is he - 34?

• Like 1

I think there’s obviously a lot more to the problems than Root’s captaincy. But he’s a very average captain at the same time. He’s rarely proactive in the field and often just lets the game drift. He’s led by example with the bat of late but there’s more to it than that. The problem is the only realistic alternative is Stokes. I think he’d be good but you’d worry about the workload

Edited by Alex
  • Like 1

13 minutes ago, Dr Gloom said:

I’m not sure removing the captaincy from Root changes anything. It’s still the same players, the same team which in the same way time and time again. This series also suggests the next generation of strike

bowlers isn’t ready to replace Anderson and Broad. I can understand why they’re looking to replace Anderson but Broad surely has a few years left in him. What is he - 34?

Can’t understand looking to replace either atm. Archer might never play test cricket again (that’s another one we can thank Root’s shit captaincy for). Wood has just had an operation. I can understand not playing both Anderson and Broad in the same test at times. But while you have to look to the future, winning in the present is more important. It also makes blooding new players a lot easier if you’re winning 

Edited by Alex

7 minutes ago, Alex said:

I think there’s obviously a lot more to the problems than Root’s captaincy. But he’s a very average captain at the same time. He’s rarely proactive in the field and often just lets the fake drift. He’s led by example with the bat of late but there’s more to it than that. The problem is the only realistic alternative is Stokes. I think he’d be good but you’d worry about the workload

yeah, stokes is the only obvious successor but you’d worry about burnout taking the captaincy on top of his off field problems - and do all rounders ever make good captains? 

it just feels so rudderless now. No leadership, no management structure in place, no CEO - a captain and team who have forgotten how to win series.   

Just listening to aggers on the TMS talking up the idea of a new captain and coach starting together. How Fletcher and Nas turned the oil tanker when no one saw it coming. Maybe worth a punt I guess but feels like we’re clutching - the structural issues around test and white ball cricket run too deep to be fixed overnight by a change in leadership 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Dr Gloom said:

yeah, stokes is the only obvious successor but you’d worry about burnout taking the captaincy on top of his off field problems - and do all rounders ever make good captains? 

it just feels so rudderless now. No leadership, no management structure in place, no CEO - a captain and team who have forgotten how to win series.   

Just listening to aggers on the TMS talking up the idea of a new captain and coach starting together. How Fletcher and Nas turned the oil tanker when no one saw it coming. Maybe worth a punt I guess but feels like we’re clutching - the structural issues around test and white ball cricket run too deep to be fixed overnight by a change in leadership 

It’s a few things for me. A new coach who won’t accept mediocrity. We’ve been shite for ages and losing to teams either not better on paper (or not better by the margins of defeat at least). I’m sick of the comments about the attitude and effort being great etc. We need a new captain because Root’s poor decision  making has been a factor too often. But what we really need is someone like Strauss having the top job, having all the resources and authority he needs and having about 5 years to do it. 

• Like 1

18 hours ago, Alex said:

Can’t understand looking to replace either atm. Archer might never play test cricket again (that’s another one we can thank Root’s shit captaincy for). Wood has just had an operation. I can understand not playing both Anderson and Broad in the same test at times. But while you have to look to the future, winning in the present is more important. It also makes blooding new players a lot easier if you’re winning 

I can understand wanting to try out new bowlers, and they could not have anticipated both Wood and Robinson going down injured (or perhaps they should have done with Robinson having already conceded that he is not fit enough for test cricket), but unfortunately, Woakes and Overton are never going to be the answer, especially overseas for Woakes. 

Anderson and Broad, assuming fit, should play in the summer.  It would be useful to have Archer, Wood, Robinson, and Olly Stone fit, as well, but it seems we are unable to use them properly or keep them fit enough to be a threat.

• Like 2

10 hours ago, RobinRobin said:

I can understand wanting to try out new bowlers, and they could not have anticipated both Wood and Robinson going down injured (or perhaps they should have done with Robinson having already conceded that he is not fit enough for test cricket), but unfortunately, Woakes and Overton are never going to be the answer, especially overseas for Woakes. 

Anderson and Broad, assuming fit, should play in the summer.  It would be useful to have Archer, Wood, Robinson, and Olly Stone fit, as well, but it seems we are unable to use them properly or keep them fit enough to be a threat.

aye, it is unfortunate that we weren’t able to bring all four of the bowlers you mention down under. We might have been competitive. Probably not like when you look at the state of our batting 

• Like 1

• 2 months later...
7 hours ago, Alex said:

That’s more like it

It went down hill the second I opened the celebratory can.

Pretty much like the rest of my life.

• Haha 4

On 03/06/2022 at 06:15, Alex said:

Fancy NZ to set us about 250-300 and win by a large margin now. I really hope I’m wrong 

you weren’t wrong

Just now, Dr Gloom said:

Superb morning for England. Should be a game on now but i will be impressed if this batting line up make more than 200

It’s the hope that kills you :D 

• Like 2