The Cricket Thread

McFaul

Do you like cricket?  

105 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Guest CabayeAye

I really like cricket, in a lot of ways I like it more than football. Top level football these days is played by idiotic arseholes earning salaries that those saving lives could only dream of and if my love of NUFC somehow were to die, I doubt I'd ever go out of my way to watch a football match again. I absolutely hate a lot of what football has become, it's not the game I grew up with and couldn't get enough of.

However, nothing will ever happen in the world of cricket to make me feel the elation I do when Newcastle score a goal or win a match against anyone, nevermind Sunderland. The flip side is the depression I feel when we concede/get humped, but it's worth it.

Cricket fills in for NUFC over summer, sport wise. All other sports can fuck off, I can't stand them.

Completely agree with you there. I play Cricket in the summer, used to play footy, but have started to play Rugby more in the winter now, probably because I'm fatter/bigger than when I was younger!

No other sport touches footy though, spectator wise.

• 5 months later...

quite a good contest so far. england dominated with the bat on day 1. SA coming back into it on the second day with some good seam bowling under cloud cover. even stevens at this stage.

Not watching but checking the score every now and then. Smith is just a beast. Someone I'd like to hate seeing as he always does well against us, but you've got to respect the sheer number of runs he's notched up against us.

First real series I can remember watching was when they were here I think in 2003, when he was getting double tons and so on. Excellent player. And to do all that as a new captain at the age of what, 22-23 or something overseas? Quite impressive.

Bastard.

Really frustrating watching this now. Can't seem to get through at all, South Africa looking good though and the pitch isn't really doing much for us. They had it spinning all over the shot for them.

Shoved a bit of money on the draw at 4/1 just after Ravi got out - down to evens now, and if Bell can hold on for the next session we should be able to get enough to set them a bit of a chase at least.

• 1 month later...
  • 5 months later...

Four months from the Ashes and Australian cricket has become a global laughing stock after four players were dropped from this week's third Test in India – with the most senior of them, the vice captain Shane Watson now considering his future – for not handing in their homework.

That was the irresistible, if slightly unfair, summary of the decision of Mickey Arthur, the team's South African coach, and his captain Michael Clarke not to consider Watson, Mitchell Johnson, James Pattinson and Usman Khawaja for Thursday's game in Chandigarh after they had failed to respond to a request from the management to pinpoint the reasons for Australia's heavy defeats in the first two Tests. Arthur said that Johnson and Khawaja forgot, and that Watson and Pattinson had failed to respond inside the five-day deadline. None are thought to have claimed that their submissions were eaten by a dog.

Watson, who was said to have underestimated the importance of the presentation, later boarded a plane for Sydney to be with his heavily pregnant wife but admitted he is now thinking of quitting international cricket.

Before his departure, he told The Australian newspaper: "Any time you are suspended from a Test match, unless you have done something unbelievably wrong and obviously everyone knows what those rules are - I think it is very harsh. In the end I have got to live with it. That is the decision they have made and at this point in time I am at a stage where I have to weigh up my future with what I want to do with my cricket in general.

"I am going to spend the next few weeks with my family and weigh up my options as to exactly which direction I want to go or keep on. I am going to have to sit down and work that out with my family. There are a lot more important things in life. I do love playing cricket and that passion is still there and I feel I am in the prime years of my cricket career."

Michael Vaughan, the former England captain who has turned into a regular Aussie-baiter on Twitter, summed up the general incredulity when he tweeted: "What is going on with Aussie cricket? Didn't realise you had to do an essay to get selection these days!" The former Australia batsman Mark Waugh said he had ''never heard anything so stupid in all my life''.

However, Arthur described the decision as "a line in the sand", and even compared it to England's omission of Kevin Pietersen from the decisive Test against South Africa last summer because of the damage he was doing to team spirit.

"We pride ourselves on attitude," said Arthur, who took over as Australia's coach after their defeat in the last Ashes series. "We have given the players a huge amount of latitude to get culture and attitude right. We believe those behaviours are not consistent with what we want to do with this team, how we want to take this team to be the best in the world.

"I believe those four players unfortunately did not meet my requirements so those four players are not available for selection for this Test match.'

"I asked the players at the end of the game [Australia's second Test defeat in Hyderabad] to give me an individual presentation, I wanted three points from each of them technically, mentally and team, as to how we were going to get back over the next couple of games, how we were going to get ourselves back into the series.

"This has been the toughest decision myself, manager Gavin Dovey and captain Michael Clarke have ever had to make. It's a tough, tough decision, but the ramifications for that within our team's structure and the message that it sends to all involved in Australian cricket is that we are serious about where we want to take this team."

Arthur added: ''It's extremely tough to sit here and make that decision. I wish it wasn't the vice captain, I wish it wasn't Shane Watson and Mitchell Johnson. They are leaders within the team and are very professional with the way they go about their business. But this was a moment where we had to make a statement irrespective of who the players were."

Johnson, Watson's fellow Queenslander, has not played in the series so far but Pattinson – whose elder brother Darren played a single Test for England – has been their best bowler, and Khawaja had been expected to replace Phil Hughes at No3.

Australia now have only 13 players available for third Test and that could be reduced to 12 if the wicketkeeper Matthew Wade fails to recover from his ankle injury.

Fuckin homework! :lol:

Always nice to see the Aussies floundering. Still expect two competitive series against them. Even when they're in poor form, they're tough to beat. Never going to roll over for a whitewash like England sides have over the years

• 2 weeks later...

I didn't stay up to watch it all but that's what test cricket is all about. A defiant innings by Matt Prior, Stuart Broad occupying the crease for about two hours for his six runs and England saving the game, series and number two spot in the rankings by one wicket and Monty seeing five of the last over off.

Marvellous.

It's still nee football

I prefer cricket sometimes, particularly watching it live. Nothing quite like settling down for a long boozy day at edgbaston's Eric Hollies stand when the sun's out.

But I'm not really that interested in the county game and can't say I'm as bothered about any cricket team as I am nufc.

In international cricket,too much emphasis is on not losing a series.Why not give each batting team a maximum of 90 overs and if they are bowled out before 90 overs have been bowled,the bowling team have those extra over added to their 90 overs.The team who scores the most runs wins.No team can slog for 90 overs so you will still see a decent game of `proper' cricket. 20/20 is the equivalent of 5 a-side football. Not proper criccket,not proper football.

• 1 month later...