Shearer's latest thought's

trooper

Im exactly the same as the fans at the minute - Im one of them.

I pay for my ticket and Im the same.

I am entitled to my opinion.

It hasnt been pleasant watching to be honest.

Its been poor.

With Newcastle in the bottom three going into the dark evenings Shearer feels that the problems at United havent just unfolded overnight.

He said: It has been poor since January this year,

The quicker we can get out of it the better.

But he feels a tough scrap against relegation could lie ahead.

He said: I dont hold too much hope for us this season.

I think it could be a long hard season for us.

Pardew will prepare his players for another crunch fixture on Saturday against Leicester amidst a backdrop of pressure with sections of the Toon Army still on his back.

Now Shearer believes there can be no excuses going into the battle with former Newcastle coach Nigel Pearsons newly promoted Foxes.

Shearer said: Nobody can make any excuses.

The simple fact is we havent been good enough.

You can make whatever excuses you want.

Injuries, too many games or confidence.

Put all of that to one side, the simple fact of the matter is we just have not been good enough.

We havent been unlucky.

We havent been ravaged by injuries.

We havent been done by dodgy decisions.

We just havent been good enough.

Its simple.

Thats the harsh reality of it.

Things have to improve and they have to improve pretty quickly or we could find ourselves in a hole.

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yeah he has to pay like everyone else now. Ashley stopped ALL free tickets in April this year as part of a cost cutting exercise even Carvers family have to buy tickets now.

Him and a few mates have a box.Probably one of only a few ex-players at any club who dip into their pockets to watch their team.How is it appaling for legends to pay for attending.

It's appalling that they have to. Club should give them seats as a gift.

So do you have a list of legends who shouldn't pay.

Eric Gates

Gary Bennett

John Kay

Marco Gabbiadini

Gary Rowell

Kevin Ball

Sewper Kev

Niall Quinn

So do you have a list of legends who shouldn't pay.What if an ex-player isn't a legend but played more times than some of your legends.He could be a legend in someone else's eyes.

I know you're being ornery, but off the top of my head I think it's reasonable that Shearer, Lee, Lady Elsie Robson, Beardsley don't pay.

Can you now think of any players who played loads that isn't considered a legend by some, but is by others that is either definitely deserving or definitely not deserving of a free seat in your eyes?

Again the cost to Ashley of these free tickets was a mere drop in the ocean. I think he got the lip on about season ticket holders chucking it in and decided everyone would pay just his way of being spiteful and vindictive.

Again the cost to Ashley of these free tickets was a mere drop in the ocean. I think he got the lip on about season ticket holders chucking it in and decided everyone would pay just his way of being spiteful and vindictive.

It's not out of spite, it's just business. He couldn't give a monkeys about Shearer, or Lee, you, CT or me. He understands that every penny counts, so a few hundred quid extra is still extra money.

£15m pound man who earned millions upon millions in wages. Paid to watch football and getting free tickets to the majority of games he already watches.

I think he can stretch to it like.

Mebeez anyone who played for us and retired before 1993.

The rumour is that it was reported to Ashley that a number of people who had been given free tickets were selling them. Rather than waste time finding out who the individuals were he just stopped the lot. By the way do you walk into Tesco, pick up a bottle of vodka, then walk out. When you are stopped by security, you just answer 'I used to work here'. I am entitled.

£15m pound man who earned millions upon millions in wages. Paid to watch football and getting free tickets to the majority of games he already watches.

I think he can stretch to it like.

Mebeez anyone who played for us and retired before 1993.

I don't think he's in dire need of grazing land for his beasties either, but he's got the freedom of the city anyway. It's not about need, or whether he can afford it or not. It's about honouring someone who had a huge impact on our club. Keegan should get it, Shearer, Kicline, etc. If they don't use it, fine sell it on, but it's hardly breaking our bank or chasing off other corporate box holders.

The rumour is that it was reported to Ashley that a number of people who had been given free tickets were selling them. Rather than waste time finding out who the individuals were he just stopped the lot. By the way do you walk into Tesco, pick up a bottle of vodka, then walk out. When you are stopped by security, you just answer 'I used to work here'. I am entitled.

Waitrose dahling

I don't think he's in dire need of grazing land for his beasties either, but he's got the freedom of the city anyway. It's not about need, or whether he can afford it or not. It's about honouring someone who had a huge impact on our club. Keegan should get it, Shearer, Kicline, etc. If they don't use it, fine sell it on, but it's hardly breaking our bank or chasing off other corporate box holders.

I think it gives him a sense of pride that he pays to watch Newcastle just like us, which is why he's bragging about it in this interview. There's not a chance in hell that anyone is getting a free box from the club. Shearer wants a box so he pays for one. Everyone's happy.

The rhetroical question of whether ex legends should have permanent free seats on offer to them is a fair one. You rarely see the directors box even half full and I would be annoyed if Micky Quinn got short shrift from ringing the club and asking for a ticket for him and a guest or two. I don't think that would happen though. Most ex-players see the quid pro quo in a situation like that and get their tickets gratis, on the understanding they'll visit a few of the executive boxes and put in some face time before/after the game, press the flesh with supporters in the exclusive areas and make the paying customers happy.

If Shearer prefers to just go for the football and not be bothered by all that, it's his right but the club don't need to subsidise it.

Hang on, I think there's been some crossed wires here. My argument is basically the one you make in your 2nd para. It's weird, under a different owner ex players would probably be happy to be part of the club in some role, pressing the flesh, speaking to the media or other clubs or whatever.

I'm saying make them part of the club and the bigger brand. If David Rozenhal wanted to go to the game he can buy the tickets himself.

There's a canny short but informative write up in this months TF by a bloke who pays for a box and for a seat in the gallowgate corner, and mixes it up where he watches from, depending on whether he has clients to entertain.

I never knew every box holder is offered 4 away tickets. With 200 boxes that could be a third of the allocation going to box holders before being offered to members with the required points.

Hang on, I think there's been some crossed wires here. My argument is basically the one you make in your 2nd para. It's weird, under a different owner ex players would probably be happy to be part of the club in some role, pressing the flesh, speaking to the media or other clubs or whatever.

I'm saying make them part of the club and the bigger brand. If David Rozenhal wanted to go to the game he can buy the tickets himself.

But I think the likes of Beresford and Howey still do all that corporate hospitality don't they? The club have stopped handing out tickets willy nilly, but there's still a role for ex-pros who want to fulfil it.

Shearer doesn't want to, he wants to come and go as he pleases.