Things Govt should do.

Park Life

• Replies 103
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I don't believe raising the retirement age was the deciding factor in the reduction of jobs for young people.

I think raising the retirement age is a ham fisted attempt to deal with the shortfall in pensions.

Now, are you going to answer my question?

It probably was. But young people are now going to university because there is nowhere else for them to go.

It probably was. But young people are now going to university because there is nowhere else for them to go.

You're discounting the global crash, the change in the job markets, the various governments and putting the lack of jobs purely on the retirement age rising?

Then adding that kids are going to university because they've nowhere else to go? Even though (among many other reasons) Uni is no longer as cheap as it once was for school leavers, the huge push on apprenticeships and that the armed forces still exist as an option?

Be honest, you're pulling my leg, aren't you?

Also how are you paying for all these extra retired people? Given the Right won't tax the fuckers who could swell the country's coffers and the ones they're happy to tax can't afford it.

It's not simple, it's hugely complicated and simply lowering the age of retirement wouldn't suddenly create job for young people, just like banning burkas won't stop the extremists you seem so affected by.

Less kids are going to uni since the financial crisis began because they can't afford to take on the debt.

I'm not going to disagree that most NHS staff have been fucked over in recent years. It's just that the story has been framed as the government denying NHS staff a 1% rise while lining their own pockets. My understanding is that what they've proposed is a fairer deal where those who are in line for automatic increments aren't getting the 1% on top of that.

Either way it's still a shit deal for all involved.

They haven't proposed anything other than bumping the pay freeze up to 5 years now. Increments are a part of many professions, nursing, medicine, police etc. they were agreed years ago and in no way count towards cost of living increases.

Once I finish my independent prescribing I will be diagnosing and prescribing as a lone worker, for £26500 pa. It's ludicrous. I work with band 3s who make more than that with a bit of overtime chucked in

I notice no one is offerinbg to pay more tax to fund all this extra expenditure.....................

A one-off 20% levy on all non-property based wealth over a million would be a start.

Would need global action but I'd also confiscate all offshore accounts - all either dodgy, tax-evaded or un-needed imo.

I notice no one is offerinbg to pay more tax to fund all this extra expenditure.....................

I think the fairest way, is to tighten the existing tax codes and laws. If the UK collected all the tax it was due the whole country would be better off. However the top 1% don't want to pay anything, the next lot want to pay as little as possible because "all of it goes on wasters" instead of on them, then the rest of the country has to pick up the financial slack.

I know it's unlikely (if not impossible), but if America, China, Russia, & the EU could get the collective act together and make it impossible for corporations and independently wealthy individuals to sidestep the tax they owe, we'd all be immeasurably better off. Right leaners will tell you that if this were to happen those companies and individuals would fuck off elsewhere, but they just frankly wouldn't. Microsoft isn't going to up sticks from the US to Uganda just because they'd save a few 100 million in tax (or whatever), there's more to it than that. Mike Ashley will be doing everything he can to dodge the tax he and his company owes, he's not going to emigrate to Paraguay, is he.

Isn't that exactly what they have been doing though? Tax havens are now having to disclose details of accounts held there, the UK and EU are cracking down on companies nominally headquartering themselves in countries with lower tax rates.

Isn't that exactly what they have been doing though? Tax havens are now having to disclose details of accounts held there, the UK and EU are cracking down on companies nominally headquartering themselves in countries with lower tax rates.

Still too easy to avoid tax and there's still too much protection given to the wealthy who don't want to pay; that there needs to be a distinction between tax avoidance ad tax evasion is proof of that.

However, I was just answering Rob's question about how we were going to pay for stuff.

Every few years they say they are going to crack down on it.... :lol:

It's the equivalent of taking on their 'masters'....Believe it when I see it.

Nominee (not you) accounts in offshore banks are notoriously difficult to pin down as they hide behind a layer of names, trusts and financial tools. The big fish move their money around anyway...The only way is to inavade the 63 or so islands and city states and shut them the fuck down.

Edited by Park Life

Every few years they say they are going to crack down on it.... :lol:

It's the equivalent of taking on their 'masters'....Believe it when I see it.

Nominee (not you) accounts in offshore banks are notoriously difficult to pin down as they hide behind a layer of names, trusts and financial tools. The big fish move their money around anyway...The only way is to inavade the 63 or so islands and city states and shut them the fuck down.

So lets get the military–industrial complex on board :good:

And you saw how quickly everyone tried to take their money out of the country after that. The pound would fall through the floor and never recover if the government tried that in the UK.

That's why I said you'd need the planet's major players to get together on it. If the UK were to try and tackle it alone, the wealthy would simply move banking somewhere else. If everyone gets involved, then where would they move their banking through?

What Cyprus did is essentially theft. I'm all for taxing income and profits but just helping yourself to what people have in the bank is wrong imo.

We're signed up to bail ins btw. Although it might be counterproductive as you suggested earlier. There isn't a single UK bank in the safest top 20 list...

Edited by Park Life

What Cyprus did is essentially theft. I'm all for taxing income and profits but just helping yourself to what people have in the bank is wrong imo.

The vast majority of the account holders were Russians avoiding scrutiny or chasing inflated interest rates. I had sympathy for the locals or ex-pats affected but not the Russians.

I'd bring in a straight tax on turnover BEFORE allowing any deductions for wages, fees and other taxes - catch people liek Amazon, Starbucks etc

If they want to trade here they pay some tax