Trees

Kid Dynamite

I had a lovely big xmas tree in my front garden, although it was a little too big. I had some blokes ripping some trees out of the back garden and asked if they could give the front tree a bit of a trim.

He literally chopped the top 3rd off and that was that. It looks shit for one but I'm more worried about if the tree is going to survive? Any keen gardeners know about this stuff?

I'm genuinely gutted, it's been there 20 years!

I'm in no way a keen gardener, but my neighbour when I was a kid used to do this to his tree regularly, and it seemed to just grow back. It's apparently a fairly common thing, I remember asking about it. Either that or he was just crackers and was replacing the tree at fairly regular intervals.

I think it depends how much they took - from memory they end up looking rounder at the top than they once did - his turned into more of a tall bush, but assuming it survived the process (infections can apparently damage trees) then it should resume growing upwards again.

I understand that you can pull one of the stronger branches into an upwards position in order to take the place of the lost trunk, but I don't know how you would select it per se.

I'm in no way a keen gardener, but my neighbour when I was a kid used to do this to his tree regularly, and it seemed to just grow back. It's apparently a fairly common thing, I remember asking about it. Either that or he was just crackers and was replacing the tree at fairly regular intervals.

I think it depends how much they took - from memory they end up looking rounder at the top than they once did - his turned into more of a tall bush, but assuming it survived the process (infections can apparently damage trees) then it should resume growing upwards again.

I understand that you can pull one of the stronger branches into an upwards position in order to take the place of the lost trunk, but I don't know how you would select it per se.

Cheers. It does look like a big round bush now!

The bloke told me he was a tree surgeon on the phone. When he turned up he was quite clearly a gypsy with a chainsaw