Magpies eye Zebina swoop

Emre

Newcastle United have entered the race to sign out-of-favour Juventus defender Jonathan Zebina, according to reports in Italy.

Liverpool and Milan have also been linked with the Frenchman, but with the Reds having now completed the signing of Jan Kromkamp and Daniel Agger, and the Rossoneri having ruled themselves out of the running for the full-back, United would appear to be frontrunners.

Zebina is surplus to requirements at Juve after spending most of the season out with a succession of injuries and asking for a pay rise deemed to be excessive by the club.

Newcastle, meanwhile, are in need of defensive reinforcements after suffering a catalogue of injuries to their playing staff including Michael Owen, Kieron Dyer, former Inter midfielder Emre, Scott Parker, Shola Ameobi and defenders Steven Taylor, Craig Moore, Titus Bramble and Stephen Carr.

Magpies Coach Graeme Souness is in the market for both a defender and a striker, but is having to fight tooth and nail to receive the funding to help ease the injury crisis.

Zebina, who has become a regular for France under Raymond Domenech, is a versatile player who is just as comfortable in central defence as he is at right-back.

The former Roma defender is still only 27 and has won titles with both the Giallorossi and the Italian champions.

Channel 4 sport

Newcastle United have entered the race to sign out-of-favour Juventus defender Jonathan Zebina, according to reports in Italy.

Zebina is surplus to requirements at Juve after spending most of the season out with a succession of injuries and asking for a pay rise deemed to be excessive by the club.

Newcastle, meanwhile, are in need of defensive reinforcements after suffering a catalogue of injuries to their playing staff including Michael Owen, Kieron Dyer, former Inter midfielder Emre, Scott Parker, Shola Ameobi and defenders Steven Taylor, Craig Moore, Titus Bramble and Stephen Carr.

Channel 4 sport

81349[/snapback]

Anyone else seeing a common theme in this? Doesn't suprise me in the least.

Channel 4 sport

81349[/snapback]

Anyone else seeing a common theme in this? Doesn't suprise me in the least.

81363[/snapback]

....come on, you can hardly accuse Kieron Dyer of extortionate wage demands! :rolleyes:

Zebina would be an excellent signing, I've seen him a few times for Juve and Parma.  :rolleyes:

81382[/snapback]

Good for you, but he's just an average defender in my opinion. Often injured too. rather not. We get linked with him every transfer window.

Zebina would be an excellent signing, I've seen him a few times for Juve and Parma.  :lol:

81382[/snapback]

Fuck me Brock, I watch copious amounts of Italian football and this guy is the Serie A version of Bramble!

82220[/snapback]

Worse than Bramble tbh

Zebina would be an excellent signing, I've seen him a few times for Juve and Parma.  :mellow:

81382[/snapback]

Fuck me Brock, I watch copious amounts of Italian football and this guy is the Serie A version of Bramble!

82220[/snapback]

Whenever I've seen him he's played well! :lol:

Zebina would be an excellent signing, I've seen him a few times for Juve and Parma.  :mellow:

81382[/snapback]

82220[/snapback]

82516[/snapback]

"I've seen him a few times" is the key line. I've seen Bramble play well a few times too.

81382[/snapback]

82220[/snapback]

82516[/snapback]

"I've seen him a few times" is the key line. I've seen Bramble play well a few times too.

82518[/snapback]

Good point