QPR (h) 22/11/2014

The Fish

SS strikes again. As Stevie said in the other thread when he pushes foward and fancies it he's a handful and his finishing is not as wayward as it used to be either. No better sight than him flying forward scattering midfielders and defenders in his wake. This was one of those that could have got away from us - there were a few nervy moments at the back inc Krul's haphazard swipes at the ball otherwise known as clearances. Ayoze very lively and approaches the games so casually now with that much confidence he'll be frightening in a couple of seasons.

It was clear to see how much we missed the pace of Aarons and Bulbhead...The midfield play rotation was slower than in recent games and moves forward tentative although not without thought and Haidara judged his runs and made himself available in an intelligent manner now he's reigned in some of his mad gallops.

The clear and present danger to Pards job has shaken him up and he's let go some of his nonsense and although was forced to play youth a few weeks back, it must be said he's harnessed it well. But he must continue with 2 of Arrons, Ameobi, Bulbhead starting when all are fit. Not that concerned if Cabella doesn't start for now as he isn't quite there yet...Looked a tiny bit chunkier today.

• Replies 94
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Good win today against a side that were keen to sit in and defend. We created lots of chances and the goal was always coming and Sissoko deserved his goal because he had a stormer again. You couldn't say anyone had a poor game really.

Not sure why Gouffran is being criticised to be honest. He did well after coming on to maintain possession and get involved in some of the counter attacks. Sure he shouldn't be starting and shouldn't be coming off the bench if we're losing but at home against QPR 1-0 he's a decent option off the bench and did well enough.

Like others are saying, Pardew deserves some credit for turning things around but he is just now getting good performances out of good players. He's not some sort of magician conjuring the sublime from a bunch of Championship level trash or anything. Pardew has risen the teams level to acceptable overall on the season so far so I suppose we should be grateful given the pitiful level of performance he was getting for the ten months previous. Still a class-A cunt.

Good to hear Ryan Taylor is alright. It didn't look good for a bit there. Poor lad just needs a run of games because he was playing well despite the rust and looks keen.

I would have given Roberts a bash at the end for sammy had he been on the bench. We wouldn't have seen how good Aaron's was if he hadn't been given a chance

That was an odd one. Was he punished for tweeting about it or was he buzzing about being in a bigger provisional squad?

Thought we were decent enough yesterday. It was just the sort of game we could have tripped up on.

We did seem to struggle to come to terms with losing Raylor who had probably been our best player up to that point. Bringing goufrran on to replace him didn't work at all in the first half but we looked much better when he moved out wide.

I thought Perez was excellent. He probably should have scored when he was put through but at least he got his effort on target and if you watch it carefully he actually seems to try to lift it too which is promising.

I thought Cabella had by far his best game too and can't understand why he was taken off rather than Sammy who had been poor up to that point (although he actually picked up a lot from the goal onwards).

As a few of us said the other day Sissoko is our most important player at the moment. His transformation since being moved inside is remarkable.

The good thing about Sammy and Cabella yesterday was that they seem to have worked on cutting out the naivety that was prevalent in earlier games. Comes with experience I suppose.

Perez is learning very quickly, drew in Dunn a couple of times yesterday and did him with trickery to get the foul. Proper centre forward play that had been missing in previous games. Very lively in and around the box.

Still think we're creating far too few proper scoring chances against the likes of this opposition, at home as well. Has something to do with the team structure but might improve once the top 3 develop a better understanding.

Did someone post a quote from Pardew saying that Sissoko's best position was out wide? That's depressing if true...the fact that he may well shunt him out on the right again when the opportunity presents itself...

If we do some business in Jan the normal 4th hoverers are currently struggling. /deluded

If we had the owner with ambition or vision to see this, we would have done it 2 years ago. You could say perhaps Ashley will learn, but I gave up on that notion a while back.

I think Sammy has done well whenever he's played for us, he looks laid back on the ball yet he always looks to attack players which I like. I think people underestimate him because his second names Ameobi, which is a shame as he's been a vital figure for us in this recent resurgence.

He's definitely stepped up like. Whether he can maintain it and be consistent is his thing though. Compared to where he was a year ago, he has come on leaps and bounds.

Be interesting to see what happens to Sissoko positionally when De Jong is fit again.

Think that's Pardew's fundamental problem He seems to pick his favourite 11 players and then work out how he'll fit them into a team. Rather than having his preferred system and picking the best players available to play in their preferred roles.

Think that's Pardew's fundamental problem He seems to pick his favourite 11 players and then work out how he'll fit them into a team. Rather than having his preferred system and picking the best players available to play in their preferred roles.

Yup. I think it is a naivity that spreads across quite a few English managers. Hodgson has the same problem with England(See Downing in the latest internationals, picked to play for England due to his West Ham performances... Hodgson plays him out of position for national team :lol:) it's an age old thing, but play your best player in their best position. Versatility is important for modern players, but if you set your watch by it you are not going to command games; you are stratificating to suit the opposition rather than dictating zonal positioning in a game. Also, you will stunt the natural growth of special players if you are asking them to be the jack of many trades rather than the master of one. Wilshire suffers from this a bit. Few teams have been successful while consistently playing several square pegs in round holes.

Edited by ADP

Yup. I think it is a nativity that spreads across quite a few English managers. Hodgson has the same problem with England(See Downing in the latest internationals, picked to play for England due to his West Ham performances... Hodgson plays him out of position for national team :lol:) it's an age old thing, but play your best player in their best position. Versatility is important for modern players, but if you set your watch by it you are not going to command games; you are stratificating to suit the opposition rather than dictating zonal positioning in a game. Also, you will stunt the natural growth of special players if you are asking them to be the jack of many trades rather than the master of one. Wilshire suffers from this a bit. Few teams have been successful while consistently playing several square pegs in round holes.

Is it time for Christmas avatars yet?