UKIP and the rise of doublethink.

Park Life

Nope, absolutely not, and I've had that point raised to me before when I attempted to explain why we shouldn't castigate people as being 'thick' or 'racist' for voting UKIP. But does that mean we should ignore it and put our hands over our ears? Not for me.

Yes but aside from telling the rest of the world to fuck off and reducing taxes and environmental controls I'm not quite sure what else UKIP stand for. I can understand someone considering giving them their vote if immigration was their primary concern but I don't fathom why anyone else would.

Edited by ewerk

An unlimited supply of cheap labour is a capitalist's wet dream. 'THEY R TAKING OUR JOBS' is obviously wide of the mark, but pretending that EU migration isn't having a negative effect on the employment of lesser/unskilled British workers is also very naive in my opinion. I don't blame the immigrants themselves by the way, this isn't a case of hatred, fear, or division - I just think that stricter immigration controls would be a positive move. I think the writing off of an entire underclass as being 'lazy/feckless' and perpetuating the myth that all Polish people are automatically hard-workers is a dangerous precedent, and one that has lead to the rise of UKIP.

If it's not the most important issue facing the country, and it's not top of your list of concerns, why would anyone in their right mind vote for an alcoholic one trick pony who's entire political persona is riddled with hypocrisy, inconsistancies and blatant scaremongering? He's a fuckin idiot, a shrewd semi charming one who knows how to press the buttons of an electorate who largely think very simplistically about very complicated things. I understand the urge for a protest vote against the traditional main three parties but for fucks sakes the man is still a fuckin idiot.

An unlimited supply of cheap labour is a capitalist's wet dream. 'THEY R TAKING OUR JOBS' is obviously wide of the mark, but pretending that EU migration isn't having a negative effect on the employment of lesser/unskilled British workers is also very naive in my opinion. I don't blame the immigrants themselves by the way, this isn't a case of hatred, fear, or division - I just think that stricter immigration controls would be a positive move. I think the writing off of an entire underclass as being 'lazy/feckless' and perpetuating the myth that all Polish people are automatically hard-workers is a dangerous precedent, and one that has lead to the rise of UKIP.

There's a few foreigners who have jobs where I work, some are management, (and are wankers just as their British counterparts are), one or two are full time employees and some are agency workers who are treat as shit as their British counterparts are. Apart from the agency workers being treat like shit, it bothers me not one fucking iota.

You forgot to mention those nice Scandinavians who came over and warmed our churches up in 793 A.D.

Oh, and those greasy wops that came over to build our roads and sanitation systems, and cities, and improve the farming, and introduced laws and that in 55 B.C.

Bloody foreigners, coming over here, diversifying our gene pool ......

There's a few foreigners who have jobs where I work, some are management, (and are wankers just as their British counterparts are), one or two are full time employees and some are agency workers who are treat as shit as their British counterparts are. Apart from the agency workers being treat like shit, it bothers me not one fucking iota.

This is a "privlleged" whinge but IT in the city is now populated quite highly with Indians - no problem working with them but they've held salaries down over the last few years imo.

If it's not the most important issue facing the country, and it's not top of your list of concerns, why would anyone in their right mind vote for an alcoholic one trick pony who's entire political persona is riddled with hypocrisy, inconsistancies and blatant scaremongering? He's a fuckin idiot, a shrewd semi charming one who knows how to press the buttons of an electorate who largely think very simplistically about very complicated things. I understand the urge for a protest vote against the traditional main three parties but for fucks sakes the man is still a fuckin idiot.

I imagine being anti-EU (which I am) would be one such reason.

:lol:

Someone "centre left" won't vote for the Tories, but will vote for the party of the very recent ex Tory who thinks repatriation of EU migrants is a good thing? Come on man, that's fuckin ludicrous

What sort of general election scenario do you think will happen that will allow ukip to remove us from the EU?...

:lol:

Someone "centre left" won't vote for the Tories, but will vote for the party of the very recent ex Tory who thinks repatriation of EU migrants is a good thing? Come on man, that's fuckin ludicrous

What sort of general election scenario do you think will happen that will allow ukip to remove us from the EU?...

I said I was seriously considering giving them my vote, not that I was voting for them. The likelihood is I will be voting for Labour with a heavy heart because I don't want the Tories running the country.

I said I was seriously considering giving them my vote, not that I was voting for them. The likelihood is I will be voting for Labour with a heavy heart because I don't want the Tories running the country.

You backed off too quick there. Up your game son. :lol:

Edited by Park Life

You backed off too quick there. Up your game son. :lol:

I spend my time on Facebook arguing with people posting pro-UKIP bullshit, and my time on Twitter doing the opposite :lol::lol:

There's a middle ground to be found somewhere. I live in the North East, of course immigration isn't my main worry, but there'll be plenty of people who live elsewhere for whom it is.

I spend my time on Facebook arguing with people posting pro-UKIP bullshit, and my time on Twitter doing the opposite :lol::lol:

There's a middle ground to be found somewhere. I live in the North East, of course immigration isn't my main worry, but there'll be plenty of people who live elsewhere for whom it is.

There is no middle ground now iyam, the jocks nearly pulling it off has polarised everything south of the border and gave a huge boost to ukip. England is lurching to the right, more than likely for the foreseeable future if the likes of yourself is being tempted by Farage. Scotland meanwhile will be a modern left leaning small EU member democracy in a couple of decades or so iyam, with a non EU England on its doorstep, meaning border posts from Berwick to Carlisle. We live in interesting times.

Doublethink. :)

There is no middle ground now iyam, the jocks nearly pulling it off has polarised everything south of the border and gave a huge boost to ukip. England is lurching to the right, more than likely for the foreseeable future if the likes of yourself is being tempted by Farage. Scotland meanwhile will be a modern left leaning small EU member democracy in a couple of decades or so iyam, with a non EU England on its doorstep, meaning border posts from Berwick to Carlisle. We live in interesting times.

Isn't it more that right and left are so blurred now that people are reaching out for anything that isn't that?

For me the most interesting thing about the immigration debate is how power is positioning itself. Racism/fear of the other - was a tool of empire it isn't genetic it's learnt/conditioned behaviour. If power is making immigration/racism a cover issue than it is simply testing an emotional/irrational response which it has tested over time and works. But why? And why now?

Edited by Park Life

I'm not eligible to vote, but wouldn't vote ukip. The main reason being I haven't actually heard any concrete policy from them, as to how they will market to europe if we leave, what we will actually sell outside of financial services. As someone said, indian outsourcing has a very strong foothold in the city, as does cheap european labour in support services.

I've never had a problem with immigration, as a many times migrant worker myself. What I do have a problem with, is manufacturing nothing, importing from europe and then talking about leaving the union.

Another bee in my bonnet, is how completely uncontrolled our immigration is, and how easy it is. Every single country I've worked in has a more rigid immigration policy than our own with strict limits.

Final annoyance is more cultural, e.g. when our government says we should allow certain behaviours because they areo cultural, when in fact they aren't cultural at all, its just ignorance on our part. NHS material, immigration forms and benefit applications in multiple languages for example. I've a story from Malaysia (most muslim country in the world) from a cleric in KL's biggest mosque, where he basically says that he knew Preston (even named the area, Deepdale) and said that many "crazy people" were not happy with Malaysia's tolerance to other religions, so bought and moved to an entire estate and built their own mosque.

Not targetting muslims in particular, I just thought that was interesting and eye opening, that we are more tolerant to extremist religion than Malaysia. That's what I mean as a single example of how we are culturally ignorant. Same with the romant gypsies etc.

Sorry for typos, on my tablet...

Edited by scoobos

You emerge from the chateau wine cellar with that??

Mon dieu Rodney, Mon dieu...

:lol: Pissed tbh.

Parky's view that racism is a 'tool of empire' is pure unmitigated bollocks. Animals differentiate and exclude others from their social groups on the basis of their appearance and colour. The notion that humans have learned to be divisive because of political intervention basically means we need a whole new narrative around evolution.