Nihat to stay with Sociedad

Emre

Turkish striker Nihat Kahveci has confirmed he is to stay with Real Sociedad until the end of the season.

The hit-man was poised to join Russian outfit Spartak Moscow in a €3 million deal, but Real have now vetoed that because of the serious injury suffered by Darko Kovacevic.

The Serbo-Montenegrin international will miss the remainder of the campaign after tearing his Achilles tendon leaving Sociedad's attacking options somewhat threadbare.

As a result the Basque outfit have opted to cancel Nihat's switch to Russia, although he is still likely to leave the Anoeta in the summer as he will be out of contract.

For the time being, however, the 26-year-old insists he is fully focused on playing for Sociedad despite being rested for the past two league games for fears he might be unsettled with a transfer seemingly imminent.

"My head is at Sociedad and those who doubt that are wrong because if it wasn't I would have left as soon as I could have," he stated.

"I am now thinking about the games left this season and will give everything for the team."

Sociedad have hit a rocky run of form having picked up just five of the last 30 league points on offer and will be hoping Nihat can help fire the goals to ensure they stay clear of a relegation battle.

think we could catch him for free at the end of the season?