Newcastle V Chelsea // Saturday 6th December // SJP // KO 12.45

Anorthernsoul

• Replies 181
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I've got a strange feeling we might do alright today. We usually do against this lot at home. Plus the Mackems held them last week so why not? Try to defend well, hit them on the counter - just how pards likes to set it up

/newstevie

I have to say everything about today was first class, particularly the anguish it caused mourinho and all the bt sport pundits.

On the subject of bt, what the fuck was that coverage about? That box that took up the whole bottom corner of the screen, blocking a fair bit of the action so we could be shown mourinho on the touchline for the last 10 minutes of the game. What fuckwit director thought that would be a good idea with the game on a knife edge?

Then the commentator banging on about our crowd being able to tell their children's children that they were there the day we ended Chelsea's beaten run. Wtf? It's not like we won the cup or owt. Is that honestly what football has come to? That any defeat of the champions-elect should be met with such incredulity?

That was immense!

I've drank myself sober now. Was at the stadium for 11ish for box my dad's mate owns, right next to the Cabella family. Free booze and bait from then til 4 when we left. Canny... But the match - Colback, Coloccini et al take a bow. What a performance! Credit where it's (Par)due, Alan set us up really well against them. Very disciplined in our shape (Taylor was fantastic keeping the back line in check until he got sent off), clinical with our attacking, and a good dose of grit thrown in there. I'm utterly exhausted now. Best game I've been to in ages.

To top it all off, won £300 on Cisse first scorer and toon to win! Happy days!

Ayoze's best shift outside the box today. I had been a little worried about his play outside of the box, but always had that assumption that his shaky general play would clear up as he grew in confidence and familiarity to the league.

Brilliant performance. Pity Taylor spoiled his good performance with a sending off. But other than that everyone played well. Special mention to Gouffran who did well to be left on the bench.

Mourinho can fuck off as well, like. Really hope he gets some hammer from the arselickers in the media. Imagine the stick someone like KK would've got if he came out whinging about ballboys after getting beat? He's almost untouchable with the fourth estate.

You may as well park a cow! Jose Mourinho slams Newcastle tactics after Chelsea suffer first defeat of the season

http://www.standard.co.uk/sport/football/you-may-as-well-park-a-cow-jose-mourinho-slams-newcastle-tactics-after-chelsea-suffer-first-defeat-of-the-season-9909534.html

:lol:

Think it's fair to say there's a dummy been spat at in the capital by media favourite, Jose.

http://www.belfasttelegraph.co.uk/sport/football/premier-league/chelsea/jose-mourinhos-way-falls-flat-after-newcastle-end-chelseas-run-30806492.html?

Jose Mourinho was asked why Chelsea had lost at Newcastle. "For people like me, who have been in football for so long, you have to accept this anomaly," he said.

The footballing anomaly was an interesting starting point for Mourinho. The prosecution - you have to assume Mourinho is arguing for the defence - would launch a pretty effective case based around when Mourinho's Internazionale beat Barcelona in the semi-final of the Champions League at the Nou Camp in 2010. Inter made 67 passes that night, compared to the home side's 555.
Inter had won the first leg at San Siro 3-1. Barca won the return 1-0 and were so dominant there were camp beds in the Internazionale half. There weren't really. There was just not enough space. Inter made a blue-and-black wall and Barcelona could find a way through it only when Gerard Pique scored. Mourinho called the result the "most beautiful defeat of my life".
"It is a style of blood, not skill," he said. "We were a team of heroes, we sweated blood."
Newcastle's style on Saturday was that of blood; they left nothing to take into the home dressing room at St James' Park and regret.
Newcastle kept it tight, fought and blocked and went beyond any expectation, but they were not Inter at Barcelona. A third of the game's possession puts paid to that theory.
"They did what they always do," added Mourinho. "They defended. They fought hard. They tried to counter-attack when it was possible."
It raises a curious predicament for Mourinho ­­but first came the expected sting, about the young Newcastle ball-boys not returning the ball quickly enough.
The main problem, in the 94th minute, came when Branislav Ivanovic had smashed a shot into the Leazes End. That shot, and the crowd's reluctance to return the ball, saw Mourinho throw on a second ball.
Around that same time a ball went into the Milburn Stand and I saw a young Newcastle ball-boy going way beyond the level of expectation to get it back. Still, it drew the ire of Mourinho, largely because something had to.
"The referee can't punish the ball-boy who disappeared with the ball, and the referee couldn't punish the people in the crowd who kept the ball."
That leaves the question what the people who had a larger percentage of the round thing keeping the ball longer than anyone -his players - actually did with it.
This is a different Chelsea team to Mourinho's first one: it is not as powerful, and at this point in its evolution it is not as clinical. It still may be a team designed to keep the structural needs of the manager happy while also providing enough entertainment to keep the owner in check. Chelsea were not brave enough to beat Newcastle.
Newcastle, the home side, did not touch the ball in the Chelsea penalty area in the first half hour.
Yet with such dominance for the visitors, there was little of real note for the half-fit back-up goalkeeper Rob Elliot to do. For all the plaudits Jak Alnwick understandably got after coming on at half-time for Elliot and for his debut, he didn't have that much to do either. He made an exceptional save to deny Diego Costa but that was in the 90th minute.
Papiss Cisse scored twice in the second half, first through a Gary Cahill mistake and then through a surging run by the outstanding Jack Colback and Moussa Sissoko. Didier Drogba pulled one back and it was a chaotic, frenetic and enthralling finale that roused the locals even further.
Chelsea fought for it with their lives, to protect their unbeaten run, but they are not a good enough side for that kind of historic feat. Harsh reality, no anomalies.

Good piece by Martin Hardy.

Has Stevie been on here today yet?

Odds on him shitting himself/ending up in hospital tonight :lol: ?

Nee following through at the weekend at all. I know don't if I've put it over in my blog or on here so people know my feelings well, enough but I hate Ashley more than anyone on earth. That's why I jacked it. I feel guilty but Saturday I gave my boycot a days breather. £40 for two tickets for me and my lass, and I hit cloud 9 walking out the ground on Saturday. We played much better, and you could say especially last season, dominated Chelsea for the 2-0, and to a point the 3-2. Saturday made me happiest of all though. I'm not exaggerating, I believe this Chelsea team are as good as any we've had in the Premier League, and we still fuckin won.

There's people on here slating Taylor, and yes it was silly, but I thought aside from that he had a superb game, they all did, well apart from Tiote. That pass to the Chelsea player (no cunt around him for 30 yards) was staggering. Anyway fantastic performance against a side who at the very least, are the third best side in Europe in my view (and the bookies) presently.

Edited by McFaul

That's spot on. Jose went on about how happy he was with his team but I can't imagine that many of the Chelski fans were that happy. They created very little. Yes they had more efforts than us but we had the best chances in both halves. They had the majority of the possession but they didn't do enough with it and our defending was excellent.

Still I wouldn't expect anything else from Jose.

Aye great piece that.

The Inter point is especially valid, the difference in cost between his Inter side and that Barca side wasn't that big and he played like that. In comparison our starting eleven would have just about covered the cost of Fabregas, not far off wages as well. That sort of difference is why teams have to play counter attacking football against Chelsea, Man City, Man Utd etc, our lot didn't play spoilers like his Inter Milan side. Fwiw I thought his Inter team played it right over the two legs, just think it's massively hypocritical of him to moan about something that really wasn't all that negative when he has played spoiler plenty of times in his career.

The other point I thought was cracking was about challenging the goalkeeper, we had a keeper I would feel comfortable calling Championship level in Eliot for the first half and then a 21 year old who has never played a game outside of the reserves for the whole second half and they were rarely challenged. Our ball boys didn't decide to start Obi Mikel, that was Mourinho, so when he was ballooning every ball that fell to him 30 yards out or closer into the concourse tunnels it was on Mourinho.

It was interesting to see how much space we allowed Mikel. As the game wore on I was more and more convinced that it was intentional. Just let him have as much space as he wants as long as we marked all of their good players and if he wants to try shots or through balls he can because everyone knows he's not capable of it! It got to the point where I thought we were almost taking the piss out of him with it.

Think Mourinho's quotes are more about managing his team's egos and morale than him honestly blaming the ball boys or the crowd for the defeat. :dunno:

I was at a Roman Catholic wedding in Mansfield which began at 12:00 and went on for one and a half hours or drudgery and startling call-and-response stuff that everyone bar me and the lass seemed to be in on. Then we had that wonderful experience of milling around freezing our unmentionables outside a church while a photographer reminds us that the day is all about his pursuit of the David Bailey prize, then we get on a coach to the hall. At that point it was just about to kick off for the second half, so I'm checking twitter as we travel deeper into Nottinghamshire Me and one Geordie lad are going mental as Cisse scores once, then twice. Then, because the universe is a cruel cruel bitch just as Taylor is sent off and Drogba scores all signal is lost.

I had to wait fucking ages (maybe 10-15 minutes) before I could check my phone, all the while thinking that Drogba would have got his second, or maybe Chelsea went on to win. Maybe another lad got sent off, or Alnwick got injured and Jose Enrique appeared from nowhere to go in goal?

Safe to say the rest of the wedding was brilliant as I spent most of it on a table with a Chelsea fan who thought Cahill was to blame for the loss, who thought we were dirty as fuck and that it must be terrible supporting a side who only play boring football. :lol:

Fucking love football sometimes :nufc: