Terrorism

aimaad22

27 minutes ago, Rayvin said:

In fairness, we touched on this stuff a little while ago in the Peterson debate. These guys are a real problem, and tbh I think it's fair to say that they hate normal men almost as much as they seem to hate women. Anyone who can successfully navigate relationships with the opposite sex.

The problem seems to be that they self-radicalise, and it's depressing to see where it takes them. I am sure that the Guardian will give this some detailed OpEd coverage now, so maybe we can learn a bit more about where he came from - but honestly I feel that this stems from two groups of men. You have older men who have either been emotionally damaged in relationships with women, or who have simply never been able to form any meaningful relationships, and have ended up bitter and hostile - or you have younger men who lack confidence and social skills, and who retreat away from dealing with these issues. I don't know the correct approach to either group from a mental health standpoint, but the latter I would argue need to be empowered so that they can build up self confidence, and realise that they don't need to be defined by who they are or are not sleeping with. Instead though, they will now face castigation, and widespread criticism - which will entrench their attitude that the world is against them, and IMO, make them more likely to do things like this.

I worked on the board of a counselling charity for a couple of years and the (female, feminist) CEO made the point that domestic violence would never be successfully tackled because no one was prepared to spend money on where the actual problem was - the mental health of the men attacking their partners. It was politically unpleasant to consider doing such a thing, and so instead the focus was on helping women to escape. Her argument was that both approaches were needed to be able to keep women safe. As with so many other aspects of modern life, I despair that we are unable to take a logical approach to fixing a problem. In the case of 'incels', to actually attempt to reverse their isolation from society, and catch them early on so that they can be encouraged to integrate into society properly. Instead, we will stand on the sidelines and yell at them, as we do with Muslim terrorists, instead of actually looking at why these things happen.

TL;DR - I'm just being a bleeding heart again.

Spot on, that.

• 3 months later...

I see the police aren't sure whether this was a terrorist offence after all. The bloke drove from the Midlands with a completed passport application and was headed to the passport office. I'm wondering if he's a bit mental

On 18/08/2018 at 20:49, TheGingerQuiff said:

Gene Clark?

ah, that's meant to be funny isn't it?

"let's poke fun at someone who has suffered with mental illness for 30 years; it'll get a laugh on the internet"

well done

3 hours ago, Gene_Clark said:

so what you're doing, in effect, is engaging in hate speech by means of cyber bullying someone who is covered by the Equality Act.

glad that makes you happy

I really hope you're joking that mentally ill people should be afforded the same protections as people who have to genuinely fear for their lives because of their race/religion/sexuality.

Sorry it sounds like you're having a bad time of it at the moment, though.

On 20/08/2018 at 03:26, adios said:

I really hope you're joking that mentally ill people should be afforded the same protections as people who have to genuinely fear for their lives because of their race/religion/sexuality.

Sorry it sounds like you're having a bad time of it at the moment, though.

i didn't say the first thing & yeah, it's a bit of an understatement to say i'm having a bad time.

i trying to provoke someone into killing me