Terrorism

aimaad22

Not that you would keep someone in prison because they have mental health issues mind.

Apparently there are 40,000 people on the terrorist watch list, with 3000 under some sort of surveillance. The deradicalisation programmes have been cut in jail too. 

It’s nigh on impossible to keep an eye on all of them and accurately predict when one of them decides to be a cunt and walk into a local park with a kitchen knife. 

Edited by Kid Dynamite

10 minutes ago, Kid Dynamite said:

Not that you would keep someone in prison because they have mental health issues mind.

Apparently there are 40,000 people on the terrorist watch list, with 3000 under some sort of surveillance. The deradicalisation programmes have been cut in jail too. 

It’s nigh on impossible to keep an eye on all of them and accurately predict when one of them decides to be a cunt and walk into a local park with a kitchen knife. 

That's not what I said, the main gripe is the fact he was released far too early for whatever ludicrous reason which is all too common within the justice system now but a convicted criminal with known terror links and a history of mental illness was allowed back onto the streets to murder 3 innocent bystanders in a local park. Someone needs to stand up and admit this absolutely unacceptable and needs to be addressed before more lives are lost. It was a similar story with the London Bridge attacker, he was released early and back into society to commit these atrocities. Unbelievable.

1 minute ago, Anorthernsoul said:

That's not what I said, the main gripe is the fact he was released far too early for whatever ludicrous reason which is all too common within the justice system now but a convicted criminal with known terror links and a history of mental illness was allowed back onto the streets to murder 3 innocent bystanders in a local park. Someone needs to stand up and admit this absolutely unacceptable and needs to be addressed before more lives are lost. It was a similar story with the London Bridge attacker, he was released early and back into society to commit these atrocities. Unbelievable.

What is the solution there though, keep them locked up forever? Presumably there are processes for vetting these people prior to release based on behaviour inside and other factors. He won't just have been released on a whim.

The only solution here is to lock these people up forever with no possibility of release, or to become better at vetting them. I daresay the latter is in motion all the time.

What is it exactly you think should be done differently?

3 minutes ago, Anorthernsoul said:

The early release thing was / is a red herring imo. I don’t agree with early release (which the government claimed was going to end but, like most things, probably hasn’t been delivered). The bigger issue is the sentences were pitiful to start with. Wasn’t it only a matter of weeks / months difference in terms of the London Bridge attacker if he’d serve the whole sentence? Not that tougher sentencing addresses the underlying issues. 

Just now, Alex said:

The early release thing was / is a red herring imo. I don’t agree with early release (which the government claimed was going to end but, like most things, probably hasn’t been delivered). The bigger issue is the sentences were pitiful to start with. Wasn’t it only a matter of weeks / months difference in terms of the London Bridge attacker if he’d serve the whole sentence? Not that tougher sentencing addresses the underlying issues. 

He was sentenced to a minimum jail term of 18 years but appealed and got a 16-year jail term, half of which would be spent in prison. Surely he should be serving the whole sentence in jail.

He was sentenced to a minimum jail term of 18 years but appealed and got a 16-year jail term, half of which would be spent in prison. Surely he should be serving the whole sentence in jail.

I must’ve misremembered it. It may have been some of the people in prison at that time that they were subsequently trying to prevent getting an early release. My view on sentencing is that it should be the minimum time you serve. Then you only get released if you meet the criteria in terms of those assessing rehabilitation and if you behave yourself when you’re in there. 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Anorthernsoul said:

From the sentencing council:

"Offenders sentenced to two years or more will serve half their sentence in prison and serve the rest of the sentence in the community on licence.  While on licence an offender will be subject to supervision and the licence will include conditions. If an offender breaches their conditions, they may be recalled to prison."

So it's as Alex says really - this is the law and it isn't controlled by the courts or even really the justice system, beyond the actual act of sentencing. As I understand it only a life sentence evades this, but they are restricted in what they can hand life sentences down for.

4 minutes ago, Rayvin said:

From the sentencing council:

"Offenders sentenced to two years or more will serve half their sentence in prison and serve the rest of the sentence in the community on licence.  While on licence an offender will be subject to supervision and the licence will include conditions. If an offender breaches their conditions, they may be recalled to prison."

So it's as Alex says really - this is the law and it isn't controlled by the courts or even really the justice system, beyond the actual act of sentencing. As I understand it only a life sentence evades this, but they are restricted in what they can hand life sentences down for.

Which takes us back to the point I am trying to make, do something about it, change the laws.

Which takes us back to the point I am trying to make, do something about it, change the laws.

You want the politicians then, not the justice system.

Fixing this problem, these people, requires spending money on reforming and rehabilitating them - and if we can't do that, there should be some manner of avenue available for retaining them in prison indefinitely (if a danger to the community). Otherwise we're just kicking the can down the road IMO. The issue is the crime and what drives it - the early release is just a distraction.

Edited by Rayvin
  • Like 2

25 minutes ago, ewerk said:

Send the buggers back.

All joking aside, if you get arrested for a terror offence whilst trying to claim asylum I wouldn’t have an issue with instant deportation once your sentence is served. 

But we also have plenty of home grown idiots where that isn’t a solution. The prison system is fucked. More prisons and longer sentences aren’t necessarily the answer either, as proved by America 

4 hours ago, Anorthernsoul said:

Well something needs to change as letting blood thirsty rabid dogs back onto the streets to savage innocent civilians is not good practice.

I always come back to something the MD of a counselling service I used to work with said to me. Was relationship counselling specifically and I've mentioned it on here before but it bears repeating.

Her view on domestic violence was that alongside having shelters for women to escape to, we also needed to spend money - quite possibly more money - working with the men who were perpetrating it. Actually concerning ourselves with their mental health and the reasons why they struggle to control and contain their rage. Unfortunately, there is no political will to do this because people would rather just see these sorts of individuals as 'evil' and 'beyond saving'  (and not to put too fine a point on this because your reaction is very natural, viewing them as rabid dogs). Why should we spend tax payers money helping them?

And the reality is, as uncomfortable as the notion of spending tax payers money to help them would be to some, fewer women would be beaten and killed if we did.

I would imagine, and frankly am entirely convinced, that the same approach is needed through the prison and justice system in full. So what is more important? Actually fixing the issue and trying to turn these people's lives around - and ultimately saving lives in doing so - or the sense of satisfaction we get from seeing 'bad' people getting punished?

Edited by Rayvin

• 3 years later...