Terrorism

aimaad22

He's apologised, and isn't blaming anyone else, but FOX have (unsurprisingly) refused to comment thus far.

He was supposed to be a Security Expert, to get something so drastically wrong should be the end of him, especially given the response online, but I'll not be surprised if FOX have him back on to tell us how dressage is mandaotry in Chiswick or something.

:lol:

Probably would do something like that because they know that if their audience read any of those there'd be hundreds of thousands of Americans who believe that a "Myth is a female moth" or that "England's second city is to be renamed Birming".

As well as apologising for his remarks, Mr Emerson has offered to make a donation to Birmingham Children's Hospital.

"I have clearly made a terrible error for which I am deeply sorry," said Mr Emerson, a witness called to testify to at least one Congressional committee.

"My comments about Birmingham were totally in error."

He said he would be issuing an apology on his website for "this comment about the beautiful city of Birmingham".

"I do not intend to justify or mitigate my mistake by stating that I had relied on other sources because I should have been much more careful.

"There was no excuse for making this mistake and I owe an apology to every resident of Birmingham."

Even his apology shows a total ignorance of Birmingham :nono:

Edited by The Fish

This whole freedom of expression farce, please correct me if Im wrong, but didnt France ban pro Palestine demos during the summer? And can you get away with anti semitism over there? Where does freedom of expression go in these situations?

I think some people in the West truly believe in it, but the truth is that it can be highly politically inconvenient (palestine), and becomes extremely problematic when people are put in danger (inciting hatred).

At the government level it's a sham, I'll give you that.

So then there ARE situations where freedom of expression has to be restricted? Im just trying to gauge the general opinion. Because when incidents like these happen, you hear no end on the importance of absolute freedom of speech, yet there are examples of swift clamping down when something someone dares to speak openly against the likes of Israel or their lobbyists.

Just for the record, Im not in agreement with the general reaction of the muslim world to these things either, and I've found no allowance for it in the Quran or the traditions of the Prophet. The hypocrisy of the West though is something else.

Edited by aimaad22

So then there ARE situations where freedom of expression has to be restricted? Im just trying to gauge the general opinion. Because when incidents like these happen, you hear no end on the importance of absolute freedom of speech, yet there are examples of swift clamping down when something someone dares to speak openly against the likes of Israel or their lobbyists.

Just for the record, Im not in agreement with the general reaction of the muslim world to these things either, and I've found no allowance for it in the Quran or the traditions of the Prophet. The hypocrisy of the West though is something else.

What about the kerrang have you checked there?

I think stuff like satirical newspapers, yes, I'd say free speech is always allowable. Where there is no intent to physically harm, basically.

Thera are lines which you aren't allowed to cross - inciting hatred leading to violence being an obvious one but there's also a lot of hypocrisy around it where anti-semitism is seen as beyond the pale but other subjects are allowed. I hate the way it seems you can't call Israel a bunch of cunts without being accused of being anti-semitic - I call cunts as I see them regardless of tribe.

Saw a couple of good tweets from Frankie boyle on the subject - one where he mentioned a paper (didn't say which but it would have een the Mail or the Sun) stating its outrage at Paris and defending free speech but the same paper attempted to get him prosecuted for making a joke about the Queen on Mock the Week. He also mentioned how good it was to see people demonstrating in support of freedom in Trafalgar square and not in Parliament Square where they'd be arrested (there's a specific law preventing any form of gathering there).

As brave a statement as that is, the terrorists are dead - this will only piss off other potential terrorists.

That said, I fully support their right to publish, and can totally understand their thinking.