Next NUFC Manager

Tooj

If Carver is given the job until the end of the season,what does he do if Charnley produces 3 players next week at £10m each and Carver decides very soon they are shite.Does he not pick them or does he pick them to help him get the job on a permanant basis in the summer.

I don't understand what it is that you're getting at?

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I find it odd that the club havent said anything about a successor to Pardew at all.

I find that entirely consistent with the club's approach to just about everything. :lol: I wouldn't worry about it, we could be getting Guardiola in and they'd not say a thing ffs.

Remi Garde in talks with Newcastle

GFFN can confirm that Newcastle have initiated discussions with Remi Garde for the vacant managerial position at the club.
Garde is believed to have been contacted last week and discussions have already been ongoing for the last two days.
Remi Garde is interested in the possibility of taking up the job, but there remains a chance, out of his control, that Newcastle decide to go with another candidate.
These reports are now supported by L’Équipe and Le Parisien.

http://www.getfootballnewsfrance.com/2015/remi-garde-in-talks-with-newcastle/

I think it's honestly irrelevant who gets it. Carver proved last week that any manager isn't going to be calling the shots. For me, anybody with any reputation in the game that accepts the job knowing what it entails will instantly lose their integrity as a footballing figure. Therefore a desperate, long time out of work candidate is nailed on. Naming these promising continental managers is just setting yourselves up for disappointment.

Yeah but you always say stuff like that - and I think you said it in the Pardew build up about the chances of him leaving, so you aren't always right.

Hope springs eternal and all that.

As for who gets it, if they're a decent coach they'll be able to make the best of what we've got at least, which is something that Pardew never managed.

The only thing is that I read somewhere about Garde being quite direct in his style of play, not that the right kind of direct football is particularly a bad thing.

I just think that with our current squad (if we use the right players in the right positions), we would be better off with a system of slow build up play from the centre. We've always looked far better when we've slowed the game down and kept the ball against teams around and below us in the league. Example - against Burnley in the first half

I personally wouldn't even mind a Pochetino-sque high-pressing style of attacking football, but that would completely expose our defense. :P

A 'decent coach' will have superior offers where he's not told to field weakened sides and win fuck all. I won't pull you up on the vague/false quotes re: pardew leaving that you attributed to me but only because i've just come off night shift, so letting it slide. :)

I think it's honestly irrelevant who gets it. Carver proved last week that any manager isn't going to be calling the shots. For me, anybody with any reputation in the game that accepts the job knowing what it entails will instantly lose their integrity as a footballing figure. Therefore a desperate, long time out of work candidate is nailed on. Naming these promising continental managers is just setting yourselves up for disappointment.

To be honest there are decent continental managers out their who work in similar set ups. Garde and De Boer have tight budgets as well and Lyon and Ajax have been selling clubs themselves.

Maybe we can't attract the best managers in the business, but I definitely think we can attract a decent manager. Also boils down to assurances from the board about the budgets, vision, ambition, etc.

However if the board states outright that they are satisfied with consistent mid table mediocrity, it might put off even the decent managers who put their name into the hat.

@CSD: :lol: Very decent of you. I may have entirely made that up to be honest, it was just a lingering memory of you saying you were trying to deflate all of us or something. I'm not about to go looking for it either.

That said, apparently Garde has confirmed he's interested at least? Are you saying you don't rate him or just that someone else will swoop in for him before he signs? Not sure if the latter is likely to be honest...

Edited by Rayvin

@CSD: :lol: Very decent of you. I may have entirely made that up to be honest, it was just a lingering memory of you saying you were trying to deflate all of us or something. I'm not about to go looking for it either.

That said, apparently Garde has confirmed he's interested at least? Are you saying you don't rate him or just that someone else will swoop in for him before he signs? Not sure if the latter is likely to be honest...

You might have been thinking of the time I attempted to 'deflate' a few when in the summer there were a few on here, and by a few I mean many, awaiting a "marquee" striker signing. I was right like so a bad example for you to mistakenly not use :razz:

Anyway I don't know a great deal about Garde. What's he done? Won a cup in France? I'm obviously not saying he's responsible but Lyon went from being quite impressive to not so impressive during the time he was at the club (I realise they went shit before he officially became manager but he was in the backroom team wasn't he?)

So no, not saying I don't rate him or that someone will swoop for him. I'd be quite indifferent to his appointment though. He could be a fucking supercoach and all that would achieve is more bids for our players. What's the point? Until the fat cunt leaves, there isn't one.

I agree in the overall scheme of things on the last point, but I'm taking the opportunity to be even slightly optimistic about the club; we might see something a bit different for a bit, there'll not be so much animosity for a while, etc.

And has to be better than being stuck with Carver at least...

It mentioned 4-1-4-1 as his preferred style there, switching to 4-3-3 when attacking. High pressing as well.

Sounds ok to be honest, not that everything in there is positive.

It's not a particularly positive article at all. It suggests their defence was awful and he struggled to come up with any ways to fix it (seemingly changing it every week over the period they are refencing).

But it does suggest that he's a manager who looks for different ways to try and attack and defend depending on the opposition and who he has available. That in itself suggests an improvement on Pardew.

The fact that during his time there Lyon were in a financial mess and selling their best players means that he is someone who is already familar with the conditions he would be working under here!