2014 Albums & Gigs of the Year

Gene_Clark

Some blinding releases this year. Shellac and the Pop Group do bile and anger better than anyone else. The frightfully talented Alex Neilsen combined “balls to the wall” free jazz with Death Shanties and Copper Family tinged madrigals with Crying Lion. Euros Childs and Jon Langford were as reliable as ever, while Norman Blake and Joe Pernice in The New Mendicants started January with a gorgeous set of tender ballads. I discovered Blueblut and Bardo Pond and rediscovered the brilliance of the Band of Holy Joy who, along with Trembling Bells and Teenage Fanclub, are the ones to look out for in 2015. I also bought the Mogwai album; dull stuff.
1. Shellac: Dude Incredible
2. Death Shanties: Crabs
3. Crying Lion: The Golden Boat
4. The New Mendicants: Into The Lime
5. The Pop Group: We Are Time
6. The Band of Holy Joy: Easy Listening
7. Euros Childs: Eilaaig
8. Bardo Pond: Looking For Another Place
9. Blueblut: Hurts So Gut
10. Jon Langford: Here Be Monsters
11. Mogwai: Rave Tapes
Sixteen gigs by 14 acts this year, with The Band of Holy Joy (Cluny in March and Bede’s World in December) and British Sea Power’s Sea of Brass (identical sets at Durham Gala Theatre in July and Cluny Hall 1 in October) being the bands I caught twice. In that instance, I’ve included the gig I enjoyed more in this run-down. This list also includes 12 different venues, of which Durham Gala Theatre, Glasgow Kelvingrove Bandstand, Stockton Georgian Theatre, Jarrow Bede’s World and the superb Leeds Brudenell Social club were new for me. The only bands that were new to me were The Pop Group and Death Shanties.
1. Teenage Fanclub: Glasgow, Kelvingrove Bandstand, August.
2. The Pop Group: Leeds, Brudenell Social Club, October.
3. Penetration: The Cluny, March.
4. The Band of Holy Joy: Jarrow, Bede’s World, December.
5. The Mekons: Cluny 2, August.
6. The Pastels: Cluny, June.
7. Lindisfarne: City Hall, December.
8. Midlake: Whitley Bay Playhouse, July.
9. British Sea Power: Durham, Gala Theatre, July.
10. The Wedding Present: The Cluny, November.
11. Vic Godard: Star & Shadow, September.
12. Death Shanties: The Bridge, August.
13. Fairport Convention: Sage Hall 2, February.
14. Pete Wylie: Stockton, Georgian Theatre, November.

I may well be in the minority here but some of those bands sound hipster-tastic :lol:

Like they've been churned out of an Internet random band name generator

I've recently stumbled across the outrun/synthwave genre of music. 80s inspired synth with cracking nostalgic artwork. Similar to the Drive/The Guest OST's

Some blinding releases this year. Shellac and the Pop Group do bile and anger better than anyone else. The frightfully talented Alex Neilsen combined “balls to the wall” free jazz with Death Shanties and Copper Family tinged madrigals with Crying Lion. Euros Childs and Jon Langford were as reliable as ever, while Norman Blake and Joe Pernice in The New Mendicants started January with a gorgeous set of tender ballads. I discovered Blueblut and Bardo Pond and rediscovered the brilliance of the Band of Holy Joy who, along with Trembling Bells and Teenage Fanclub, are the ones to look out for in 2015. I also bought the Mogwai album; dull stuff.

1. Shellac: Dude Incredible

2. Death Shanties: Crabs

3. Crying Lion: The Golden Boat

4. The New Mendicants: Into The Lime

5. The Pop Group: We Are Time

6. The Band of Holy Joy: Easy Listening

7. Euros Childs: Eilaaig

8. Bardo Pond: Looking For Another Place

9. Blueblut: Hurts So Gut

10. Jon Langford: Here Be Monsters

11. Mogwai: Rave Tapes

Sixteen gigs by 14 acts this year, with The Band of Holy Joy (Cluny in March and Bede’s World in December) and British Sea Power’s Sea of Brass (identical sets at Durham Gala Theatre in July and Cluny Hall 1 in October) being the bands I caught twice. In that instance, I’ve included the gig I enjoyed more in this run-down. This list also includes 12 different venues, of which Durham Gala Theatre, Glasgow Kelvingrove Bandstand, Stockton Georgian Theatre, Jarrow Bede’s World and the superb Leeds Brudenell Social club were new for me. The only bands that were new to me were The Pop Group and Death Shanties.

1. Teenage Fanclub: Glasgow, Kelvingrove Bandstand, August.

2. The Pop Group: Leeds, Brudenell Social Club, October.

3. Penetration: The Cluny, March.

4. The Band of Holy Joy: Jarrow, Bede’s World, December.

5. The Mekons: Cluny 2, August.

6. The Pastels: Cluny, June.

7. Lindisfarne: City Hall, December.

8. Midlake: Whitley Bay Playhouse, July.

9. British Sea Power: Durham, Gala Theatre, July.

10. The Wedding Present: The Cluny, November.

11. Vic Godard: Star & Shadow, September.

12. Death Shanties: The Bridge, August.

13. Fairport Convention: Sage Hall 2, February.

14. Pete Wylie: Stockton, Georgian Theatre, November.

I bet space on your pencil case is hard to come by.

I may well be in the minority here but some of those bands sound hipster-tastic :lol:

Like they've been churned out of an Internet random band name generator

I've recently stumbled across the outrun/synthwave genre of music. 80s inspired synth with cracking nostalgic artwork. Similar to the Drive/The Guest OST's

as i've said before, the main reason i stopped regularly coming on here was it appeared that every time i said something, regardless of topic, you went out of your way to be snide and offensive; that hasn't changed.

perhaps you could stop for one second and contemplate the reality of this is that you don't actually know what you're talking about; i could point out Fairport convention were formed in 1967, Penetration in 1976 & the Wedding Present in 1983, but what would be the point?

it doesn't appear you wish to engage with the subject, preferring to make unpleasant, barbed digs at me and that's rather disappointing.

Gene, it's a bit rich trying to take the moral high ground and trying to act all mature after when you've just called my a peado. Even more so when you deleted the post straight afterwards.

Gene, it's a bit rich trying to take the moral high ground and trying to act all mature after when you've just called my a peado. Even more so when you deleted the post straight afterwards.

what is said was "i bet you're a voracious, predatory paedophile" - i did this because apparently that's how you lot appear to think social interaction works.

so now i've reinstated it; it is meant to be a comeback to your unnecessary, childish, wounding & hurtful dig at me.

in the level of maturity of your response, i will say "you started it," which gets me off the hook.

why did you make your comment in the first place, other than to offend me?

why did you feel the need to offend me?

i would imagine if you try that sort of conduct on a stranger you know nothing about in a pub tonight, someone will crack you at best or glass you at worst.

that would be terribly wrong, but would demonstrate that actions have a reaction.

ok that's The Wedding Present, The Pastels & possibly British Sea Power covered, but what about all the other genres?

Shellac?

Don't know any of the others bar Mogwai.

WP are still releasing singles are they?

what is said was "i bet you're a voracious, predatory paedophile" - i did this because apparently that's how you lot appear to think social interaction works.

so now i've reinstated it; it is meant to be a comeback to your unnecessary, childish, wounding & hurtful dig at me.

in the level of maturity of your response, i will say "you started it," which gets me off the hook.

why did you make your comment in the first place, other than to offend me?

why did you feel the need to offend me?

i would imagine if you try that sort of conduct on a stranger you know nothing about in a pub tonight, someone will crack you at best or glass you at worst.

that would be terribly wrong, but would demonstrate that actions have a reaction.

It was joke. You do come across as desperately trying to be cool though. And don't play the offended wallflower act. As usual you're attempting to sate your 'voracious' appetite for attention. If you can somehow work out how to do that without coming across as a complete fucking weirdo you might even make the odd friend.

Shellac?

Don't know any of the others bar Mogwai.

WP are still releasing singles are they?

If you like Mogwai, you could have that album for nowt; it's beyond boring - completely complacent

WP is basically Gedge & hired hands, as it has been since he reformed them in 2004.

each year they tour an old album (this year it was "Watusi," last year it was "Hit Parade," 2013 "Seamonsters" etc) & play it in its entirety plus 40 minutes of other stuff.

last new album was "Valentina" in 2012, though they released a new single ("Two Bridges") late last year

each Record Store Day they do a 4 song 10" foreign language EP (French, German & Welsh) - gimmicky, but interesting.

apparently in 2015, they're recording a new album & not touring.

It was joke. You do come across as desperately trying to be cool though. And don't play the offended wallflower act. As usual you're attempting to sate your 'voracious' appetite for attention. If you can somehow work out how to do that without coming across as a complete fucking weirdo you might even make the odd friend.

but it wasn't funny; it was offensive.

cool? now that is funny.

i'm 50 years of age son; i don't need friends from the internet - i just expect to be able to hold a sensible debate.

sorry if that makes me a "weirdo" - i'd simply state that my standards are unreasonably high.

as i've said before, the main reason i stopped regularly coming on here was it appeared that every time i said something, regardless of topic, you went out of your way to be snide and offensive; that hasn't changed.

perhaps you could stop for one second and contemplate the reality of this is that you don't actually know what you're talking about; i could point out Fairport convention were formed in 1967, Penetration in 1976 & the Wedding Present in 1983, but what would be the point?

it doesn't appear you wish to engage with the subject, preferring to make unpleasant, barbed digs at me and that's rather disappointing.

If I keep doing it will you leave again? Please.

Apart from Teenage Fanclub I don't think we'd be on the same wavelength

Do you normally goto gigs for bands that have had little or no success for the decades they've been formed or do you see anyone good now and again ;)

i'd say the diplomatic (albeit generous) way of putting it is, an eclectic list you have there

ok, ignoring the albums, we'll look at the bands i went to see....

The Pop Group - reformed after a 30-odd year hiatus; new album & world tour happening in 2015
Penetration - sell out wherever they play; part of the fairly lucrative punk nostalgia scene, though Pauline has got an album of new stuff ready to be recorded
The Band of Holy Joy - extremely enduring Brechtian style bohemian ensemble, singer Johny is from Shields & a lifelong NUFC fan - he sang in first punk band I ever saw (Speed, Aug 77, what is now Newcastle Playhouse)
The Mekons - original Leeds DIY punks & post Gramscian country cow punks, now relocated to Chicago - still release albums
The Pastels - the definitive C86 band; released "Slow Summits" in 2013 & gig infrequently as they run a record store & label, as well as a cafe bar in Glasgow
Lindisfarne - unashamed nostalgia; sold out 3 nights, that's 7,500 tickets.....
Midlake - touring "Antiphon" album after a line-up change - was sold out
British Sea Power - surely no intro needed? experimenting with 28 piece brass band to reinterpret their back catalogue, after 2013's "Magnificent Machineries of Joy" album - sold out Durham & 3/4 filled Sage Hall 1
The Wedding Present - see previous post; sold out Cluny
Vic Godard - enduring Subway Sect front man; certainly an obscure, acquired taste, but the Football League Show often use "Ambition" as part of their background music
Death Shanties - obscure free jazz
Fairport Convention - the founders of English folk rock; remained almost unchanged in style if not personnel since 1967
Pete Wylie - ex Wah! front man on solo, acoustic tour

Only gig i've lined up so far this year is Interpol down in Dublin in my favourite venue, should be good, our whole group heading down as well so looking forward to it.

last year best gig QOTSA or Public Enemy (more so because i'd never seen them before than that they were a brilliant act that night)

is that Whelan's?