Newcastle vs Burnley

Andrew

Well then, no Pardew no hope?

By most peoples reckoning we'll have Carver in the dugout which doesn't fill me with a lot of hope but Burnley aren't a great side by any means and we made our own problems when we played them at Turf Moor (Or rather our manager did) by starting out with a defensive, workmanlike, lineup.

Hopefully at home Carver, or whoever does pick the team (Colo?) will feel more inclined to start with Cabella over Gouffran and try to get at them.

I remember saying a while back I wouldn't bother making the journey up again whilst Pardew was in charge but, through various coincidences and what have you, I will be there tomorrow, so I finally get to see us at home again and keep my word :thumbup: Heres a preview someone else wrote.

The managerial merry-go-round took time to get going this season, but it is in full swing now and Newcastle United are right in the thick of it.

Perhaps it was fitting that such a turbulent 2014 ended with a surprising development at the club, and it appears highly unlikely that Alan Pardew will still be in charge of the Magpies when Burnley travel to St James' Park on New Year's Day.

Speculation has been rife about the Crystal Palace-bound boss's replacement, although club captain Fabricio Coloccini has reportedly ruled himself out of the running having emerged as an unlikely favourite for the job.

Newcastle fans have long called for Pardew's head and, while the move to Selhurst Park seems puzzling from a football standpoint, his treatment during his time in the North-East may well have had an impact on his decision.

Whoever is at the helm at the start of 2015 will take charge of a team coming off the back of an important 3-2 victory over Everton, a result that ended a four-match losing streak in all competitions.

Papiss Cisse was on the scoresheet again in that game, but he will begin a three-match ban having been charged with violent conduct following an elbow on Seamus Coleman.

That could allow Emmanuel Riviere to make a rare start, with Ayoze Perez pushing further forward to spearhead the attack in Cisse's absence.

Tim Krul and Rob Elliot remain sidelined so Jak Alnwick will continue in goal, while Steven Taylor could be recalled having been left on the bench during the victory over Everton.

Newcastle have won five of their last six matches at St James' Park, a daunting record for a Burnley side that has only won once on their travels all season.

Indeed, only pointless Queens Park Rangers have fared worse on the road so far, although the Clarets will be full of confidence following their shock comeback against Manchester City at the Etihad on Sunday.

The champions appeared to be cruising to the points when they went into the break with a two-goal lead, but a rousing second-half recovery ensured that Sean Dyche's side rescued an unlikely point.

It wasn't enough to keep them out of the relegation zone, but they are level on points with 17th-placed Hull City and could climb out of the bottom three if they get anything out of Thursday's match.

The odds of Dyche outlasting Pardew would have been fairly long at the start of the season, but the Burnley boss has done a stellar job on such a limited budget in 2014.

He will be hoping that 2015 brings similar success, and central to that could be both Danny Ings and Sam Vokes, the latter of whom made his long-awaited return from injury with a 10-minute cameo against Liverpool on Boxing Day.

It is still too early for him to start a game, however, while Michael Duff is also unlikely to be rushed back despite edging towards full fitness once again.

These two sides met at the start of December at Turf Moor, with George Boyd and Cisse scoring in a 1-1 draw.

Newcastle:

Form in Premier League: DWLLLW
Form in all competitions: WLLLLW

Possible starting lineup: Alnwick; Janmaat, Coloccini, S Taylor, Dummett; Colback, Tiote, Riviere, Sissoko, Gouffran; Perez

Burnley:

Recent form: DLWLLD

Possible starting lineup: Heaton; Trippier, Keane, Shackell, Mee; Arfield, Jones, Marney, Boyd; Barnes, Ings

Sports Mole says: 1-0

http://www.sportsmole.co.uk/football/newcastle-united/preview/preview-newcastle-vs-burnley_196263.html

• Replies 217
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yeah, kinda fearful. Shame as well as Pardew probably would have won this one after scoring in the 40th minute and then defending for our lives for the whole second half. As he was fond of doing.

Re: the manager it's shades of Chris Hughton in the sense that if Carver is offered the job for more than two games it'll be on the understanding he'll have to work with the coaches ( :lol: ) already at his disposal and the extra responsibility not meaning an increase in his low salary.

Re: the manager it's shades of Chris Hughton in the sense that if Carver is offered the job for more than two games it'll be on the understanding he'll have to work with the coaches ( :lol: ) already at his disposal and the extra responsibility not meaning an increase in his low salary.

I still think he'll give it to Beardsley ex player, local hero, already knows the score under Ashley.

Edited by trooper

We'll be banking on Sissoko and Perez heavily again of course. Good chance to let Riveire and Cabella in the team, if they have a decent game it could do their confidence the world of good.

At the very least, no Willo and Gouffran ffs.

Can't see there being too much of a change in formation or tactics to be honest.

Think it's a dangerous time as they're going to be confident and we're (yet again) in turmoil.

Score draw

I could be wrong, but I have a feeling that Carver will start the same eleven that started against Everton based on 'don't change a winning team'.

I'd like to see;

............................Jakshit.

.....Janmaat - Saylor - Colo - Dummett.

.......Sissoko - Tiote - Colback - Cabella.

.....................Perez - Armstrong.

Actually I'd prefer Haidara to Dummett but I don't know if he is available. It would be interesting to see what Perez & Armstrong could accomplish as twin strikers.

Except for the Keeper, I think that's a formidable starting eleven to take on Burnley.

I could be wrong, but I have a feeling that Carver will start the same eleven that started against Everton based on 'don't change a winning team'.

I'd like to see;

............................Jakshit.

.....Janmaat - Saylor - Colo - Dummett.

.......Sissoko - Tiote - Colback - Cabella.

.....................Perez - Armstrong.

Actually I'd prefer Haidara to Dummett but I don't know if he is available. It would be interesting to see what Perez & Armstrong could accomplish as twin strikers.

Except for the Keeper, I think that's a formidable starting eleven to take on Burnley.

he can't start with the same eleven as Cisse is suspended; simply bring in Riviere instead

Not really too harsh on Alnwick, he's 21, not a kid, and he's had tons of experience in goal albeit not in the Premier League. I recall Krul at an early age being thrown into the breach in the Champions league when Given & Harper were injured. He did well, which is more than I can say for Jak.........

I still think he'll give it to Beardsley ex player, local hero, already knows the score under Ashley.

Everything I've heard in the past suggests he has no interest in the job

Not really too harsh on Alnwick, he's 21, not a kid, and he's had tons of experience in goal albeit not in the Premier League. I recall Krul at an early age being thrown into the breach in the Champions league when Given & Harper were injured. He did well, which is more than I can say for Jak.........

I think he's done ok tbh. One clanger which can happen to anyone. Also you can't replicate 1st team experience. As for Krul, he had a blinder away to Palermo in the UEFA Cup iirc, but it was one of those games a keeper sometimes has where they make some great instinctive stops. He still wasn't deemed ready for the Premier League for years after that.