Carver has some explaning to do!

salsaman7

As the title suggests i think carver has some explaining to do. This was a must win game for Newcastle. First half I have no complaints as we were the better team in all departments. Tactics were working. Rightly being in the lead. Second half comes along things are going ok then comes a sub, Riviere off (who was having a good game) for piss poor adam armstrong! Fair enough he is young being only 17 but he's too little to be pumping the ball up to!!! Crap decision Carver! That decision has cost him his first win and probably the shot at the job full time. Taylor getting injured didn't help the cause as if used up a sub but jesus christ Carver!

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Not being funny, but that was Pardew's team, playing Pardew's style and they were reminiscent of Pardew's subs... so maybe give Carver a little more time?

Pardew would no doubt have blamed the fixture pile up, the injuries to Burnley shaking up their tactics, the nights getting shorter, the january sales, the class divide., coat hanger abortions...

I don't buy that, to your point in the other thread Fish, there should be any "lingering influence" from the old manager. If he set the team up like that today, it wasn't the ghost of Pardew guiding his hand, it was him confirming that he's on board with Pardew's philosophy.

yeh it was a group of players that pardew had bought for him but carver has been there 4 years as well. Carver set the team up well. no complaints there. but the second half howay man. what a joke. his subs cost us the game. Long ball to perez and Armstrong

The Armstrong thing in particular was mental. There has to be serious doubt as to whether a kid of that size can make it in this league at all, never mind when you try to use him as a target man.

We played nothing like a Pardew side for the first 45 minutes. We attacked, committed men forward, played out from the back. It was good attacking football.

The problems came in the second half when Burnley took the game to us and Carver was not able to make the changes to keep a firm footing.

Edited by beatty

When Saylor had to come off, Carver should have put Dummett inside and brought Haidara on in his place at left back. It's not rocket science is it. Putting Willo in was a classic Pardewism.

I was prepared to give Carver leeway but the non-use of Cabella makes him clueless in my opinion. Burnley was the right team to play Cabella against from the kick-off, and failing that start the second half with him.

You can bet Carver would have taken the credit if we'd won....and who here would given any credit to Pardew?

no doubt about it, this was a pardew style formation, tactics and philosophy but with added naive decisions from carver. to bring off a player that was playing well making himself an outlet for newcastle for armstrong, a young 17 year old who isnt big enough or good enough yet. everytime the ball got played to armstrong it came straight back, and when it did come back they looked dangerous on the attack. I just dont think pardew would have done that. again my opinion

When Saylor had to come off, Carver should have put Dummett inside and brought Haidara on in his place at left back. It's not rocket science is it. Putting Willo in was a classic Pardewism.

I was prepared to give Carver leeway but the non-use of Cabella makes him clueless in my opinion. Burnley was the right team to play Cabella against from the kick-off, and failing that start the second half with him.

Agree with this. this was carvers chance to go for it. to show us there is a different formation to 4-2-3-1 or at least show us another way to use it. He stated to the media all the great managers he has worked under. saying this was his dream job and he was going to take it will both hands.... in my opinion hes cocked it up for himself.

in a way im pleased because it shows MA that we need a tactician

if that was Carver's audition, he failed it.....

the pre match waffle about Sir Bobby watching over us was toe-curlingly embarrassing & the kind of guff Pardew would have been (rightly) savaged for.

i've no complaints about the starting XI & lay the blame for the opener squarely on Alnwick, who is so nervous he couldn't take charge of an easy defensive situation by staying on his line & calling for a head back from Dummett, who gets to look stupid because of Alnwick's hesitancy. mind alnwick's attempt for the third was simply atrocious.

Riviere was unlucky three times; the early header, the scuffed sidefoot & the last play of the half that was reminiscent of Ayoze's role in the 3rd; taking him off for Armstrong was a nonsense, as Armstrong's only touch of the ball seemed to be the inadvertent way he set up Sissoko (only realised this later as was in Milburn Paddock at Leazes). this was a dismal, wasted substitution. Again Pardew would have been slated for it. The correct change was Gouffran off for Cabella or, at a pinch, Armstrong.

Most of the second half was played terribly on the backfoot with the midfield 3 (Gouffran was utterly anonymous & so I won't mention him) who were so impressive on sunday & in the first half, going all to hell. Cissoko saw nothing of the ball, Colback was harried whenever in possession & Tiote was an utter liability. As Armstrong could do nothing about holding the ball up, it kept coming back.

Taylor's injury was unfortunate, but if Carver doesn't rate williamson, who not bring Dummett inside & Haidara on at left back? bringing Haidara on for Gouffran was another nonsensical change.

A satisfactory first half, when we ought to have been 2 ahead at least & a deplorable second when we were at least 3 goals worse means that a point is a fair result against a spirited, limited, well-drilled side, but losing the lead 3 times against Burnley is unacceptable.

Colo was poor for the 2nd goal - why was he at right back & not in the centre; he overplayed a couple of times as well.....

so, the only positive i can take is Carver won't get the job full time, which i think he would have done until the end of the season if we'd hung on.

I would have the cunt sacked (and committed) for his spirit of Robson shit.

Aside from that he showed he's not an alternative to Pardew but central to the problems that have plagued us - massive distrust of flair.

I remember him leading the "that's why he doesn't play" refrain regarding Ben Arfa for "costing" us the game at WBA for losing the ball so its obvious Cabella is regarded in the same way.

Purge the lot of the fuckers.

i think Carver will be there till the end of the season. The only question is whether he can garner the 12 or so points needed to get ua to safety. Hopefully we will have a decent manager lined up for the summer who will replace our knacker coaching team but who the fuck knows. In the meantime Carver will continue to play Williamson and Gouffran and we will continue to struggle.

I would have the cunt sacked (and committed) for his spirit of Robson shit.

Aside from that he showed he's not an alternative to Pardew but central to the problems that have plagued us - massive distrust of flair.

I remember him leading the "that's why he doesn't play" refrain regarding Ben Arfa for "costing" us the game at WBA for losing the ball so its obvious Cabella is regarded in the same way.

Purge the lot of the fuckers.

I thought the pre-match shit about SBR was bad enough but arguably even worse was his crack at the press conference where he put Pardew on the same level as KK and the aforementioned Robson as NUFC managers. What a horrible fucking lickspittle (and that was what I thought before today's result).

With Santon fit there is no excuse to why Dummet can't play centre back to keep williamson out of the team.

i can see why he does play gouffran as he can do a job track back then sub him on 60mins for a flair player like cabella. to me thats good tactics. But i can't excuse the decision Riviere off Armstrong on. All i can think is that he thought the game was won and to put a local lad on to get the crowd going.

i think Carver will be there till the end of the season. The only question is whether he can garner the 12 or so points needed to get ua to safety. Hopefully we will have a decent manager lined up for the summer who will replace our knacker coaching team but who the fuck knows. In the meantime Carver will continue to play Williamson and Gouffran and we will continue to struggle.

we aren't struggling; we're mid-table