Shearer's latest thought's on Ashley.

trooper

Andy Thorn didn't play for us for long. The other name that stands out in connection with us is John Salako, who iirc we tried to sign back in the entertainers era.

Andy Thorn and Beasant were just there that one season. We got relegated. Beasant was shit but Thorn was alreet I thought. Bit of dirty centre-half. Went to Palace after that and did well. Keegan was looking at Salako around the time we signed Ginola. We went in for Ginola then the deal stalled over wages etc. We looked at Salako as an alternative to play wide-left but the deal with Ginola happened anyway. Jeff Thomas played in that Palace side too.

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Thought Shearer was decent during the World Cup.

Don't think the MOTD format is well geared towards in depth analysis, your brief is just to quickly point out any defensive errors/clever movement on the goals and say whether you agree with the ref over a slow-mo of the major controversies, then move on to the next game.

Think Neville is great but I doubt he would be doing that much different if he were on MOTD either.

I was going to say similar and I think you're right re: MOTD in general. I think Shearer plays it safe a lot of the time but I'd agree with Chez re: most of those on Sky (and in the media in general). As for that interview, no great insight but he was just answering questions and you wouldn't expect him to know what was going on anyway. At least he's in our corner and uses his position to have a pop at the owner.

Anyone remember who the two sides promoted from the old second division were that season?

Edit: the one where we got relegated with Thorn in the side (wahey!)

Edited by Alex

Didn't Salako mouth off about not wanting to move so far north? Although lord knows the Chronicle has always loved reporting non-stories like that to the Geordie nation.

According to his wiki page he signed for Coventry City in 1995 which was around the time we would've been in for him. I suspect he wishes he'd kept driving up the motorway....

Interestingly he did sign for Keegan years later at Fulham, so KK definitely liked him.

Aye, Lineker went into some detail on Twitter a while ago about how the pundits prep for MOTD, they basically watch one full match live each during the afternoon to do their segment on, the rest are sometimes seen for the first time during the actual recording iirc.

Not that easy to go into major depth on a match based just on MOTDs highlights

Given the advent of the red button and all that, wouldn't it be worth Saturday's Match of the Day having just the Premier League highlights (a little longer for the important incidents and very brief chat about them) for those who want that, then further analysis online/on the red button for those who want more?

I'm not talking about the daft Match of the Day 3, or whatever it's called, where they do an alternative table based on players born in January, but a full on Monday Night Football style pulling apart of each game? I'd also have commentators and journalists on the panel instead of just ex pros. I know some are decent (Pat Nevin for one) but most are not even good at the basics.

You could appease both types of viewer, the "I just want the goals & incidents, I don't care about the waffle" and those that want to watch someone explain the changing role of the fullback... or whatever.

Given the advent of the red button and all that, wouldn't it be worth Saturday's Match of the Day having just the Premier League highlights (a little longer for the important incidents and very brief chat about them) for those who want that, then further analysis online/on the red button for those who want more?

I'm not talking about the daft Match of the Day 3, or whatever it's called, where they do an alternative table based on players born in January, but a full on Monday Night Football style pulling apart of each game? I'd also have commentators and journalists on the panel instead of just ex pros. I know some are decent (Pat Nevin for one) but most are not even good at the basics.

You could appease both types of viewer, the "I just want the goals & incidents, I don't care about the waffle" and those that want to watch someone explain the changing role of the fullback... or whatever.

If my understanding of the PL highlights package the BBC buys is right then the Beeb don't cut the highlights they do show themselves or are very constrained on what they are allowed to show anyway, there are other mediums for that sort of info, online and podcasts, for the BBC to put out a version of that that would actually grab hold of people would probably cost them more than its worth.

I'm guessing they don't get access to the footage in time to do that on a Saturday night. Agree about Pat Nevin, he's good crack.

If my understanding of the PL highlights package the BBC buys is right then the Beeb don't cut the highlights they do show themselves or are very constrained on what they are allowed to show anyway, there are other mediums for that sort of info, online and podcasts, for the BBC to put out a version of that that would actually grab hold of people would probably cost them more than its worth.

Their highlights look very similar to those shown on Goals on Sunday and Kammy can pick at them. I'm not saying you're wrong, just that even with their limited material, they'd be able to do a better job. I agree that it might not be worth it, but unfortunately I can only see Match of the Day going one way. A Football League show clone. With some no mark introducing a collection of videos of the goals, then back to the studio for Phil Neville to say that QPR have done well recently, couple more videos, then BBC1 shows a rerun of call the Open All Hours.

I'm guessing they don't get access to the footage in time to do that on a Saturday night. Agree about Pat Nevin, he's good crack.

True enough.

weirdly, in an age of on demand tv, the motd weekly broadcast/analysis format is thriving. it's what the punters want

Is it? I thought viewing figures were slowly dwindling as more people got their round-up from Sky or online?

Is it? I thought viewing figures were slowly dwindling as more people got their round-up from Sky or online?

I read the other day that it's proving to be surprisingly resilient as well, actually. I think the format suits a lot of people.

Vines are apparently the big threat to it, rather than Sky.

Savage is still annoyed by all the wolf whistles he got at SJP and thinks he's now exacting revenge. I think he's a precious enough tart for that to be at least partly true as well.

they still pull in 6-7m viewers every week, way more than sky's football shows get, so yes.

Sure Salako failed his medical here.

As I recall, we'd tried to sign George Weah from PSG and after he went to AC Milan we made angry noises that we felt PSG had used us simply to ramp up the fee. Next thing you know we had a cut-price Ginola just when Salako had looked all but signed. Suddenly, his medical had issues - dodgy knees if I remember right?

Salako may have later claimed that he pulled the plug himself, but that's how I remember it playing out at the time and I can definitely remember KK saying he felt sorry for Salako over what had happened.

Here in India, we get a feed from Premier League TV. Some decent pundits there.

I have a lot of time for Dun Hutchison. One of the better pundits on the show. He gets a lot of flak from neutrals though about his thoughts on Pardew and Newcastle in general.

Jermaine Jenas has been another breath of fresh air. Brad Friedel, is quite a decent pundit too.

The host, John Dykes is quite good as well.

The only thing is we have to deal with Andy Townsend who is another 'expert' who just speaks in cliches all the time. Oh and Michael Owen makes an appearance every now and again as well. :glare:

The accent is a bit strange, but he's quite insightful. Actually gets into the intricacies of the game and doesn't spout the usual rubbish.

The problem with most of these pundits is that they only keep a tab on the big 6 and are clueless about any other team.

The other day there was a debate about Sam Allardyce where almost all the other pundits were saying 'You don't get anywhere in football by sacking your managers.' Basically giving the West Ham owners credit for sticking with Sam.

Fact of the matter is, his tactics were absolutely atrocious. Any fan who wanted him out had every reason to. Friedel mentioned this and also called this a honeymoon season/period for Sam, and you know what? He's absolutely correct. Sam is a shitter manager than Pardew.

I suspect most ex pro footballers don't bother to do any research and either just spout the consensus view or regurgitate what someone else has told them in the pub. If they'd actually watched Pardews teams getting regularly stuffed 3 or 4 nil over the last 2 seasons, the dreadful standard of football, the negative tactics and bizarre subs etc, they wouldn't speak up for him. Same goes for Allardyce when he managed us, he was dogshit awful.

Townsend has always been a rotten pundit. Offers nothing a gobby bloke from the pub couldbt provide

Edited by Kitman