Gigs 2024

catmag

• 2 weeks later...

Marc Almond last night was fuckin insane, it was like being at some sort of vaudevillian cult meeting. All seated at the start by half way through there was 200 people in front of the stage, expressing what i can only describe as their devotion to the cult leader. He had a string quintet, 2 brass and four backing singers including a frankly unbeleivebly brilliant mezzo soprano called Kelly doing the high notes like on this live: 

Marc also sang Torch, which is just about the best song ever written. His voice is beyond beleif for someone getting on for 60, if you get a chance to see him do it :good:

20 minutes ago, PaddockLad said:

Marc Almond last night was fuckin insane, it was like being at some sort of vaudevillian cult meeting. All seated at the start by half way through there was 200 people in front of the stage, expressing what i can only describe as their devotion to the cult leader. He had a string quintet, 2 brass and four backing singers including a frankly unbeleivebly brilliant mezzo soprano called Kelly doing the high notes like on this live: 

Marc also sang Torch, which is just about the best song ever written. His voice is beyond beleif for someone getting on for 60, if you get a chance to see him do it :good:

Does he still drink a gallon of spunk before getting on stage though?

Picked up a couple of tickets for Jason Isbell on Monday night on the cheap. Canny support too (Tift Merritt) and the venue tends not to attract too many complete arseholes by London gig standards, so that'll be grand.

3 hours ago, Meenzer said:

Picked up a couple of tickets for Jason Isbell on Monday night on the cheap. Canny support too (Tift Merritt) and the venue tends not to attract too many complete arseholes by London gig standards, so that'll be grand.

Really fancied seeing him and his band but the closest gig was Birmingham, I believe and fuck that

On 10/27/2017 at 3:25 PM, Ayatollah Hermione said:

Really fancied seeing him and his band but the closest gig was Birmingham, I believe and fuck that

He streamed one of his shows in the US on Youtube recently, closest I'll get to seeing him live for the forseeable future ;)

My fears of senility have been abated - I saw that Billy Bragg is playing Islington next week and was sure I'd bought a ticket but nowt had arrived in the mail but I've found the confirmation and it's an e-ticket job.

Looking forward to it - must be about 17 or 18 years since I saw him.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Saw Hamilton the other night. Was never going to quite live up to the hype but it's a very enjoyable show (in the conventional definition of the word) considering the potentially dry subject matter and all.

On 11/14/2017 at 8:27 PM, Tooj said:

Going to see Mogwai at Northumbria University in February. :)

Mogwai have a busy start to the year, I'm seeing them here in Sydney in early March.

Also have tickets to see Slowdive, GSY!BE, PWEI, Protomartyr and Cloud Nothings.

Anyone go see 65daysofstatic at the Boiler Room?

Edited by sammynb

• 1 month later...

Went to see Kendrick Lamar last night. It’s the first solo rapper I’ve seen live and he carried the entire thing himself. Aside from an occasional single dancer he was on the stage himself the whole time. Apart from a slight dip in the middle it was a pretty awesome performance throughout. His ability to deliver studio quality vocals in an energetic concert was incredible.

I'm not a diehard fan but from my reckoning, at 33 years old, I was the oldest one there. Middle age is racing towards me like a freight train.

I can't get away with Kendrick Lamar or any of that style of hiphop.  It's much like R&B for my tastes.

My tickets for Belle and Sebastian next month at the Sage have just arrived.  And I've got Bjork, Beck and Father John Misty (among others) in London in May to forward to.  Even in my 40's I doubt I'll be the oldest there for any of those fortunately.

1 hour ago, ewerk said:

Went to see Kendrick Lamar last night. It’s the first solo rapper I’ve seen live and he carried the entire thing himself. Aside from an occasional single dancer he was on the stage himself the whole time. Apart from a slight dip in the middle it was a pretty awesome performance throughout. His ability to deliver studio quality vocals in an energetic concert was incredible.

I'm not a diehard fan but from my reckoning, at 33 years old, I was the oldest one there. Middle age is racing towards me like a freight train.

That's nowt. I'm only vaguely aware of who he is :lol:

Saw Shame on Wednesday night, great live well worth the effort.

Protomartyr next Friday, Cloud Nothings the week after, then in March Mogwai, BRMC, PWEI, The Aints (Ed Kuepper doing his Saints material) and some other stuff.

• 2 weeks later...
On 08/02/2018 at 20:24, sammynb said:

Saw Shame on Wednesday night, great live well worth the effort.

Protomartyr next Friday, Cloud Nothings the week after, then in March Mogwai, BRMC, PWEI, The Aints (Ed Kuepper doing his Saints material) and some other stuff.

I'm off to see Shame in April, glad to see they're decent live. What size venue was it? I'm seeing them at the Cluny, so not a massive space.

Saying that Mogwai were tremendous at Northumberia University, one of the best gigs I've ever been to.

• Meenzer changed the title to Gigs 2024