Gigs 2024

catmag

1 hour ago, Tooj said:

I'm off to see Shame in April, glad to see they're decent live. What size venue was it? I'm seeing them at the Cluny, so not a massive space.

Saying that Mogwai were tremendous at Northumberia University, one of the best gigs I've ever been to.

Jonny, the venue was small, a couple of hundred people and the singer spent as much time in the audience as he did on stage.

Good to hear Mogwai are on form.

I see Ty Segall is playing the Boiler Shop in Newcastle in June, he's great live and worth the effort.

4 hours ago, Ayatollah Hermione said:

20 odd quid for Ty Segall though which can, in all truth, shove itself up its arse.

FFS, 20 quid is nothing, Shame cost the equivalant of that to see them here. It costs a lot for small artist to tour internationally.

These poor fuckers deserve to make enough to survive, it's not like they're Radiohead or worse, Coldplay and making millions.

I'd hazard a guess Ty Segall barely makes the average wage.

28 minutes ago, Alex said:

Any relation to Steven?

Only when Erika whatsherface jumps out of a cake.

• Like 1

51 minutes ago, sammynb said:

FFS, 20 quid is nothing, Shame cost the equivalant of that to see them here. It costs a lot for small artist to tour internationally.

These poor fuckers deserve to make enough to survive, it's not like they're Radiohead or worse, Coldplay and making millions.

I'd hazard a guess Ty Segall barely makes the average wage.

Only when Erika whatsherface jumps out of a cake.

:lol: you pay it for me, then. Shithouse.

• Haha 1

• 1 month later...

Obviously it's gigs 2018....

After having only seen Mogwai (who were excellent) so far this year, I'm off to The Cumberland tomorrow for ex Loft & Weather Prophets C86 demi god Pete Astor. In April, I'm taking a trip to Leeds on Saturday 14th for Mekons 77 at The Brudenell. May will see Yo La Tengo, also in Leeds at Church on Thursday 3rd, then Swervedriver at the hideous Academy on 15th. Back there June 8th for The Wedding Present. Last one on the horizon is The Band of Holy Joy at Tynemouth CIU club on Saturday 7th July. 

Aye, because I don't want to start a thread on it, and there's no plays/musicals 2018 thread, I'll put it here.

Went to see Sting's "Last Ship" musical this afternoon (matinee). It was seriously superb. Last show at the northern stage is 7th April. Honestly, if you're remotely open minded, give it a go.

The musical was a flop on release on Broadway. Hardly surprising considering the Geordie vernacular throughout though. But, the music was good (coming from someone who's not a fan of Sting), acting and performance good, and the visuals amazing. Also a poignant story and reminder from recent history (1960s to 80s wallsend). 

This is good to read. My mother bought me and the mrs tickets for it, and I was anticipating a long night.

He also commissioned an impressive picture of the area which was up at the Laing a while ago. huge arial image of the Tyne from Walker to wide open pretty much, with little family anecdotes here and there...I think.

i haven’t done it justice, to be fair.

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...
46 minutes ago, Ant said:

lol see what happened other day? 

brings white girl on stage to do his song, she does, which contains the N word... he stops the show and says "what are you doing!"

lol triggered by his own lyrics ffs :lol: 

He’d need a minimum of two fans to get through this line 

Niggas, bitches, honkies, crackers, “ 

without giving himself a conniption. 

What a fucking plum. :D

I’m currently watching the Manic’s performance and it’s a reminder that ‘festival’ appearances are invariably shite.

I think you were better off going to see him alone. Sounded like he was doing a solid 2.5 hours with an amazing band.

• 4 weeks later...

:lol: cunts

i wasn't even tempted to queue for one.

the band were great but the 02 is a fucking shit venue. 25 minute queue to get in, which we had to endure twice because the eticket barcode doesn't suffice - they make you go to the front of the venue to print off a paper ticket, another massive queue to do this because nowhere on the eticket did it say that there was no admission without a paper ticket.

once we finally got in, half the bars were shut so the queues for the bars that were open were absolutely massive - you'd be completely sober by the time you got served.

The O2 is shite, aye. I don't like arena gigs anyway so I usually only end up there if it's someone I really want to see and I've been able to pick up tickets for nowt on StubHub or similar, which also makes it easier to resent the drinks queues (and prices) less. Still sterile though.

32 minutes ago, Meenzer said:

The O2 is shite, aye. I don't like arena gigs anyway so I usually only end up there if it's someone I really want to see and I've been able to pick up tickets for nowt on StubHub or similar, which also makes it easier to resent the drinks queues (and prices) less. Still sterile though.

sterile is the perfect word for the place. the band made up for it ... just. we were fuming early doors 

• Meenzer changed the title to Gigs 2024