Gigs 2024

catmag

1 hour ago, Tom said:

Got myself tickets for The Lemon Twigs in February :D

Just listened to that album the other day and I'm going to have to get tickets to this. Fucking quality album, like. A massive melting pot of Space Oddity-Bowie, 70s pop and batshit lyrics. Closest analogy I can think of is that the two brothers are a modern day Sparks

Edited by Ayatollah Hermione

Yeh I love the album. What makes It better is that they were on the cusp of mainstream success and basically sacked it off by writing a concept album about a monkey that goes to high school, gets picked on and burns the school down. 

It's crackers. I got into them off the back of 'Foolin' Around' but their live shows look incredibly fun. Watched this a few times on the telly when I was pissed...

Smashing Pumpkins next month and The Charlatans +James in December. 

I've alway had a soft spot for UFO and they're doing a farewell tour but there's only Phil Mogg left and he's 70 so I'm in two minds whether to bother. 

22 hours ago, Ayatollah Hermione said:

That's my viewing sorted for the night. Cheers, Tom.

Mind, that other brother must be on some gear

Aye I think he might be like or...no gear at all whatsoever. Not even drink, sometimes that can make a man insane. 

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Nowt as bad as that but some strange song choices (eg new single as final encore) and cover versions which I dislike generally. If I want to hear Stairway to heaven, I'll go to the nearest paedo retirement home/cemetary and ask to hear the original, I don't get why anyone who has written so many good songs would want to play other people's. 

Edited by NJS

Wait, did Smashing Pumpkins actually cover Stairway to Heaven or was that just you plucking a song out of thin air? :lol: 

I don't mind the odd cover if it's a song that fits an artist's style and they arrange it in a way that gels with the rest of the set. Can sometimes give the musicians a chance to stretch out a bit and play something fresh.

51 minutes ago, Ayatollah Hermione said:

Wait, did Smashing Pumpkins actually cover Stairway to Heaven or was that just you plucking a song out of thin air? :lol: 

I don't mind the odd cover if it's a song that fits an artist's style and they arrange it in a way that gels with the rest of the set. Can sometimes give the musicians a chance to stretch out a bit and play something fresh.

They did Space Oddity, some Fleetwood Mac song I didn't recognise and did indeed do STH. 

As I said I have a general dislike of covers with very few exceptions - I think The Sundays' version of Wild Horses is fantastic but I struggle to name that many more. 

1 hour ago, Ant said:

ah i don't mind the odd cover at a gig tbh, some bands do it well, Divine comedy I've seen a load of times and they always throw one in, they've covered no one knows and maneater both at gigs i was at was entertaining :lol:

and lisa hannigan can cover whatever she likes :wub: 

Thats really good :good:

• 4 weeks later...

I havent managed to get tickets, but I see Damon Albarn (The Good, the Bad, and the Queen) is playing Tynemouth social club next week, which strikes me as quite surreal. I remember seeing Blur well before they were famous when they played Liverpool students union, talked to him at the backstage party. Getting on 27 years now, fucking hell. 

On 19/10/2018 at 16:56, PaddockLad said:

Saw them play on Siamese dream tour 93, they basically played the album & half of Gish. Brilliant. 

Saw them at the Mayfair on that tour. The support were The Verve before they became really big. 

• Like 1

Teenage Fanclub in Camden last night in what I could only describe as the top up their pension tour. They still sound sweet even if they look like they’re approaching retirement 

• 4 weeks later...

Went to see the Charlatans and James at Wembley last night. 

Charlatans were canny but his voice is a bit screechy these days - makes him sound more like the manc stereotype. They did do a great version of Ever fallen in love though. 

James were excellent - good new songs and the hits were great. 

• Like 2

• Meenzer changed the title to Gigs 2024