Gigs 2024

catmag

There's a show on radio 4 (no idea what it's called) where they get one celebrity to interview another and then the next week the one being interviewed the previous week interviews someone else. Reese Shearsmith interviewed Bob Mortimer earlier on in the year which was very entertaining but then the next week Bob interviewed Vic which was brilliant. Well worth checking out if you can find it (which probably isn't made easy by my piss poor memory or descriptive talents!).

• 1 month later...

Courtney Barnett on Friday night was excellent, I don't know much about actually playing guitar but she seems to get a huge array of sounds out of hers by not doing very much compared to the sort of "fretboard masturbation" style that's common among thiose of the make gender. I can see why Jack White is a big fan, she's a rocker to her bootstraps, leaves her axe lying abandoned on the floor of the stage throbbing with feedback then just stomps off.

She was supported by some fellow Aussies called Big Scary, who mixed saxophone with a strange sort of Bontempi organ sound, not my thing tbh, but they returned for a joint encore of this by early Aussie punks The Saints, which was brilliant.

@@sammynb I imagine you'll know this?...

• 4 weeks later...

Courtney Barnett on Friday night was excellent, I don't know much about actually playing guitar but she seems to get a huge array of sounds out of hers by not doing very much compared to the sort of "fretboard masturbation" style that's common among thiose of the make gender. I can see why Jack White is a big fan, she's a rocker to her bootstraps, leaves her axe lying abandoned on the floor of the stage throbbing with feedback then just stomps off.

She was supported by some fellow Aussies called Big Scary, who mixed saxophone with a strange sort of Bontempi organ sound, not my thing tbh, but they returned for a joint encore of this by early Aussie punks The Saints, which was brilliant.

@@sammynb I imagine you'll know this?...

Yes, The Saints had a huge influence on Australian punk and indie music, Know Your Product is one of their classics.

Ed Kuepper, the founding guitarist, is well worth looking into if you're into guitar based indie music. His band the Laughing Clowns which he formed after leaving the Saints in the early 80s are great as well but more post punk/art punk.

Band season here, NZ Flying Nun legends The Chills next week, with a couple of Thee Oh Sees gigs later in the week.

Also deciding whether to go see Mexrrissey, Sir Richard Bishop and Michel Hurley shows later in the month.

Edited by sammynb

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Just bought tickets for this.

FviJKUO.jpg

Got tickets for the Newcastle version of this a week later. Missed out on the above so happy I can see it on my doorstep. :D Bit shan not to have just confirmed all the dates at the same time like since loads of people from up here will have booked up for Leeds.

• Meenzer changed the title to Gigs 2024