Gigs 2024

catmag

9 hours ago, Meenzer said:

So I've just been to see ABBA, kind of. :lol: What a weird experience.

Not to discredit the whole hologram experience but wouldn’t you get a better experience out of watching a good tribute band? I saw a Swedish ABBA tribute band that had full backing, all the gear and everything else and it was fucking mint. Went out and bought a a Volvo off the back of it

• Haha 5

There's a live band playing too, but aye, I do know what you mean. Because the avatars are styled as late-70s ABBA and the whole thing is a massive audiovisual production, it's basically less a gig and more a very well executed interactive theme park exhibit, and if you approach it like that then it's a brilliant experience. It's just definitely weird too.

• Like 3

On 16/02/2022 at 19:57, Billy Whitehurst said:

I’m going to see Beck in June.

I know about 2 of his songs but he is meant to be excellent live. If he doesn’t play those two songs I’ll be well

pissed off.

You going on the 16th @ Brixton or 18th @ Kentish Town? 🤔

is this one of your tracks? :boogie:

Edited by PaddockLad

What's are peoples thoughts on old bands touring with new singers?

Saw the Dead Kennedys are playing the boiler shop and CroMags are playing the Cluny, but both bands are a long way off their original line ups. I'm not dropping £30 to listen to some random sing someone else's songs.

Only band I did that for was Rainbow and that was just so I could see Richie Blackmore play live 

Generally, in most people’s eyes the singer is the band, with some notable exceptions- you’ve mentioned Rainbow, Van Halen were fairly popular when Hagar replace Dave Lee Roth, and AC/DC was always the Young brother’s band, as Brian found out when he had some hearing trouble recently. 
Of the above, for me, I was never arsed with Rainbow anyway, Van Halen ceased to exist when Diamond Dave left, and I own everything AC/DC ever recorded with Bon Scott, and only the first two Johnson albums. 

Lindisfarne have been ragging the arse out the name without either of the singers, bassist, or guitarist for years, Queen still rumble on with half the band and sundry replacements, so, I think people do pay to see these Frankenbands,  but no, I’ll be fucked if I would. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Meenzer said:

There's a live band playing too, but aye, I do know what you mean. Because the avatars are styled as late-70s ABBA and the whole thing is a massive audiovisual production, it's basically less a gig and more a very well executed interactive theme park exhibit, and if you approach it like that then it's a brilliant experience. It's just definitely weird too.

Fair enough, never really considered it as a would-be theme park exhibit. I probably will give one a go because why not? Not Queen though, maybe if there’s a hologram Jeff Buckley one day 

Tooj went to see Peter Hook’s band doing New Order / Joy Division stuff recently. He said he was half expecting it to be short but he was really good apparently. What I thought was canny is it was only about £15 a ticket. Good to see artists doing it for the love of it and the fans for a change 

• Like 1

14 hours ago, Kid Dynamite said:

What's are peoples thoughts on old bands touring with new singers?

Saw the Dead Kennedys are playing the boiler shop and CroMags are playing the Cluny, but both bands are a long way off their original line ups. I'm not dropping £30 to listen to some random sing someone else's songs.

Only band I did that for was Rainbow and that was just so I could see Richie Blackmore play live 

I saw the DKs pre covid with their "new" singer (he's been their singer now for about 15 years) and they were great. He has the same sound as Jello and it's not as if the band haven't tried to get Jello to join them enough times, he's just an antsy cunt about it these days as they made him actually pay them what they were owed for royalties all those years ago.

Also saw The Undertones around the same time, same thing, Fergals replacement was great but unlike DKs the Undertones have released new material with the latest singer.

7 hours ago, Alex said:

Tooj went to see Peter Hook’s band doing New Order / Joy Division stuff recently. He said he was half expecting it to be short but he was really good apparently. What I thought was canny is it was only about £15 a ticket. Good to see artists doing it for the love of it and the fans for a change 

I've seen a couple of different versions of Hooky's shows over the last few years, and have tickets for his next tour in October and Tooj is correct it's a great gig.

For those of us too young to have had the opportunity to have seen Joy Division (and on the other side of the world where they never played), it's about as close as I'll ever get to seeing them.

Hooky is still a great bass player so he's not just relying on other musos to carry him.

After Ian died and they were still trying to work out who was going to sing for New Order - Hooky sang half their set for the first year, then Bernard found disco and all the Joy Division sound was dead in the water.

Saw Ed Kuepper and Jim White again last night, wasn't as good as the previous two shows but always a good show.

Yeah Yeah Yeahs supported by Wet Leg in late July is the only thing on the horizon atm.

14 hours ago, Kid Dynamite said:

Are you sure that's right with DKs? Unless there is illness the band still has East Bay Ray, Peligro and Flouride, it's only Jello who has been replaced.

• Like 1

19 hours ago, sammynb said:

Also saw The Undertones around the same time, same thing, Fergals replacement was great but unlike DKs the Undertones have released new material with the latest singer.

I saw the Undertones without Fergal and I couldn't get away with it all, it just made me sad

18 minutes ago, spongebob toonpants said:

I saw the Undertones without Fergal and I couldn't get away with it all, it just made me sad

But you're an auld cunt!

Again like Joy Division, The Undertones never toured here back in the day, so when you live in a country at the arse end of the world you have to take what you can get, when it's available.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Blastronaut said:

Depends on the band really. AC/DC did alright with Brian Johnson and Guns N' Roses got at least one half-decent album when they replaced Axl with that bombscare Stone Temple Pilots wanker. ;)

There is no doubt Bon’s stuff is better but there is no way in hell they would have got half as big as they did with him as singer. They would have exploded in an alcohol drug fuelled rage.

• Like 1

On 28/05/2022 at 08:40, PaddockLad said:

You going on the 16th @ Brixton or 18th @ Kentish Town? 🤔

is this one of your tracks? :boogie:

Brixton on the 16th. In all honesty, this is about one of the only 3 songs I know but, fuck it, it gets me out the house.

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, Billy Whitehurst said:

Brixton on the 16th. In all honesty, this is about one of the only 3 songs I know but, fuck it, it gets me out the house.

I’ll see you there :)  🍺🍺🍺

This is a gig held over from 2020, you might want to check out the last two albums Colors and Hyperpace, he’s not released anything new since 2019 really :good:

• Like 1

1 hour ago, PaddockLad said:

I’ll see you there :)  🍺🍺🍺

This is a gig held over from 2020, you might want to check out the last two albums Colors and Hyperpace, he’s not released anything new since 2019 really :good:

Yes, we were supposed to go in 2020 too. My brother loves him so he’s coming down to London especially for it so that will be at least two people at the gig older than me!

• Haha 1

• 3 weeks later...
On 30/05/2022 at 18:06, Billy Whitehurst said:

Yes, we were supposed to go in 2020 too. My brother loves him so he’s coming down to London especially for it so that will be at least two people at the gig older than me!

How did you enjoy last night?…. fuckin hot wasn’t it? :lol: 

For me last night was one of the best half dozen gigs I’ve been to….he didn’t seem to want it to end & neither did the crowd…he’s a phenomenal performer. I saw him In the 90s at some festival and enjoyed it but this was several levels above that

2 hours ago, PaddockLad said:

How did you enjoy last night?…. fuckin hot wasn’t it? :lol: 

For me last night was one of the best half dozen gigs I’ve been to….he didn’t seem to want it to end & neither did the crowd…he’s a phenomenal performer. I saw him In the 90s at some festival and enjoyed it but this was several levels above that

Yes, he was great. As you say, it was boiling but the ‘double pints’ (what a time to be alive) certainly helped cool me down.

Finishing on ‘Loser’ and ‘Where it’s at’ was superb.

His two outfits were quality too.

Back to the same venue for LCD Soundsystem next Monday.

15 hours ago, PaddockLad said:

@sammynb

I’ve had a good musical week…

Looks like Bob was in good form. I've never seen him do a solo show, positive I saw Sugar back in the day but think that is the only time I've seen him.
If J Mascis ever does a solo show near you I highly recommend going.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

Off to see Parquet Courts tonight, saw Wet Leg last week but pissed as Sam Fender tickets went on pre-sale yesterday and sold out in an hour, stupidly I left it to a mate to get them and then the general sale sold out in 10 minutes this morning, again same mate missed it!

Good thing is in three years which include covid, Sam has gone from a show in a venue of 400 people that wasn’t sold out but was close, to selling out a 3000 person venue in minutes.

Nice to see success go the way of someone who deserves it!

BTW Sam PM me if you want to kindly give me tickets, thanks mate - another suffering toon fan. 🙂

• Like 1

5 hours ago, RobinRobin said:

Is your friend a Makem? 

I can see why you might think that but no, as you well know they don't let makems into Australia, we've got enough pig ignorant fuckwits of our own (just look at Potatohead and his mates) without importing them as well.

Fulham supporter and he enjoyed Sam Fender last time he toured, no unfortunately he's just fucking usesless sometimes.

• Haha 1

• Meenzer changed the title to Gigs 2024