Gigs 2024

catmag

• 1 month later...
27 minutes ago, Ayatollah Hermione said:

Wor lass was thinking about tickets for James next year at the City Hall since they’re doing a tour with an orchestra ( :lol: ). Tickets towards the front are 95 quid!!! She’s sitting at the back and she’s liking it

At least you’ve an excuse to holler ‘sit down next to me!’ :outahere:

• 2 months later...

Can @Tom or one of the other brown shirt wearing folk that run this gulag update the title to the correct year, please?

This week I've got Fontaines DC Wed night, Yard Act Thurs night.

Ed Kuepper (Saints) and Jim White (Dirty Three) next week, the Osees (aka OhSees/TheeOhSees/OCS) and the Chills on seperate nights the week after, so busy month.

But for all you in Blighty you need to know:

65daysofstatic are touring later this year - https://65daysofstatic.com/Live

They are one of the best live bands you will ever see @Meenzer you need to get there.

Also A Place to Bury Strangers are touring the UK in May, 20 May in Brighton for you southern soft shites and 26 May in Newcastle so @PaddockLad @spongebob toonpants @Ayatollah Hermione and there is a few others of you who I cannot think of right this moment. Again awesome live. And as Paddocklad will tell you, I can be trusted!

327388851_689227786246644_32557174084838

• Like 2

• Meenzer changed the title to Gigs 2023
24 minutes ago, sammynb said:

But for all you in Blighty you need to know:

65daysofstatic are touring later this year - https://65daysofstatic.com/Live

They are one of the best live bands you will ever see @Meenzer you need to get there.

:good: I've seen them before, but in 2007, so it's probably about time for a repeat performance. :D Haven't been to the Electric Brixton before but I'm going there in April so I might hold off until then and see if it's any good as a venue - imo there's a lot of places here with substandard sound equipment and/or a tendency to attract a crowd of absolute knackers no matter what the gig.

Alternatively, I could use it as an excuse for a long-overdue weekend in Hamburg...

On 30/01/2023 at 21:16, sammynb said:

This week I've got Fontaines DC Wed night, Yard Act Thurs night.

@PaddockLad can I just say

Amazon Boom GIF by The Boys

Fucking awesome. Yard Act IMHO was better but I'm a huge Fall fan, James even has a touch of the Mark E Smiths about him in you could see him yelling at the sky with a few to many.

But both bands were great and they both had really shite support acts!

Game on for Ed, The Osees, the Chills and then our cup final, fucking fabulous Febuary.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, sammynb said:

@PaddockLad can I just say

Amazon Boom GIF by The Boys

Fucking awesome. Yard Act IMHO was better but I'm a huge Fall fan, James even has a touch of the Mark E Smiths about him in you could see him yelling at the sky with a few to many.

But both bands were great and they both had really shite support acts!

Game on for Ed, The Osees, the Chills and then our cup final, fucking fabulous Febuary.

Yeah, I’d like to see YA again, I was a bit distracted with my cousin & missus jabbering away & the venue wasn’t the best, they were support to Foals who were brilliant but it was dark by then…

• 3 weeks later...

Oh my days! Carcass tour announced, my nearest is the first of the tour and, wait for it.......at a local drag club on a Saturday night.

Got feeling it's not going to go ahead and I'll be left dissapointed. Hope I'm wrong, really looking forward to this. Had Carcass gig and drag club on my bucket list for a good while, never in a million years thought Id be able to chalk them both off on the same night out, at the same venue.

Edited by Blastronaut
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, Blastronaut said:

Oh my days! Carcass tour announced, my nearest is the first of the tour and, wait for it.......at a local drag club on a Saturday night.

Got feeling it's not going to go ahead and I'll be left dissapointed. Hope I'm wrong, really looking forward to this. Had Carcass gig and drag club on my bucket list for a good while, never in a million years thought Id be able to chalk them both off on the same night out, at the same venue.

Saw Carcass here in Sydney in the early 90s with a mate who is the guitarist in a well know Australian stoner band and it was one of the weirdest gigs I’ve been too.

As someone who was use to pogoing and moshpits, everyone at the Carcass gig seemed to have their own personal space that no one else was allowed in.

I don’t remember anyone even bugging my mate, which at the time was weird as they had just toured as the support for Nirvana - strange folk those grindcore fans!

Carcass were great btw.

• Like 1

17 hours ago, sammynb said:

Saw Carcass here in Sydney in the early 90s with a mate who is the guitarist in a well know Australian stoner band and it was one of the weirdest gigs I’ve been too.

As someone who was use to pogoing and moshpits, everyone at the Carcass gig seemed to have their own personal space that no one else was allowed in.

I don’t remember anyone even bugging my mate, which at the time was weird as they had just toured as the support for Nirvana - strange folk those grindcore fans!

Carcass were great btw.

The band were pretty hard-core vegans back then iirc, which might have influenced the audience they attracted. I dunno, though. The grindcore scene was strange enough, I imagine the vegan grindcore scene even moreso.

Bill is one of my favourite guitarists of all time but I'm a lazy bastard and never got off my arse to go see Carcass live before. Was always a "ah I'll catch them next time" and then the fuckers took a 20 year hiatus.  

This time though! It's all pretty intimate venues too, I'm tempted also to get tickets for the Dundee gig aswell incase something comes up and I can't make the Glasgow gig, or do both to make up for the gigs I've missed. 

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
21 minutes ago, PaddockLad said:

Went to see Slade last night….they didn’t do many hits or back catalogue stuff and Noddy (with a radical new look) nicked Dave’s acoustic half way through :unsure: 

B986C42F-72BF-4813-82D6-533CAD46174A.jpeg

Seeing them at the end of the year. I was hoping for a greatest hits set so disappointed to hear that’s not what they’re doing 

• 1 month later...

Went to see Stewart Lee. The bloke is a fucking comedy genius, even if half the show is taking the piss out of people like me who say he's a comedy genius

One thing I will say is if you ever do go see him do not turn up late

Edited by spongebob toonpants
  • Haha 3

• 3 weeks later...

The Chats were really good last night. I'm definitely not buying this "amateur musician" nonsense they insist on.

It's been a while since I seen a guy in a wheelchair get wheeled into the middle of the pit and just left there to fend for himself, too. 

• Like 1

Local festival Doune the Rabbit Hole seemingly not content with just shafting the band's they book, this year they're asking all their volunteers to pay a £150 deposit which "will be returned of all all shifts are attended on time, in a fit state and completed in full to the organisers satisfaction". 

Here comes the new boss. Same as the old boss. Oh wait, it's the old bosses dad.

• Jaysus... 1

1 hour ago, Blastronaut said:

Local festival Doune the Rabbit Hole seemingly not content with just shafting the band's they book, this year they're asking all their volunteers to pay a £150 deposit which "will be returned of all all shifts are attended on time, in a fit state and completed in full to the organisers satisfaction". 

Here comes the new boss. Same as the old boss. Oh wait, it's the old bosses dad.

I sincerely hope all the volunteers greased up their staff pass and shoved them up his arse? 

This kind of shit happened occasionally in the rope access industry- some fucking cowboy employing a load of new starts and trying to charge them “deposits” for accommodation and kit. 

If you have to pay someone to do work for them, you’re going to be dry bummed. 

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, Monkeys Fist said:

I sincerely hope all the volunteers greased up their staff pass and shoved them up his arse? 

This kind of shit happened occasionally in the rope access industry, some fucking cowboy employing a load  of new starts and trying to charge them “deposits” for accommodation and kit. 

If you have to pay someone to do work for them, you’re going to be dry bummed. 

Absolutely. It's essentially been  completely boycotted locally. Shame, it used to be a decent weekend in this semi-rural shithole. There was briefly a gofundme set up by the new management that was shut down within a day after a big backlash. 

Can't help but wonder how many "volunteers" they're hoping to recruit for this £150 "deposit" given actually full weekend camping tickets are only £210.

• Meenzer changed the title to Gigs 2024