John Carver Football Genius

Anorthernsoul

• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It will probably be the final straw for me in terms of my season ticket if he gets the job (of course since I'm already committed to next season he would have a chance to change my mind) but I don't see there's much chance of any kind of large scale protest.

Well i suppose if we're going to be a club with no ambition with only premiership survival of interest. Also run on a shoestring by an owner who has no respect for the fans & fans who are demoralised maybe's Carver's the pefect choice.

What do you lot think is the probability of Carver getting the gig full time?

1%

Carver is getting the same treatment Hughton, Keegan and Shearer got. Invited to meetings told that their hard work an diligence will be rewarded before being let go without so much as a second glance.

Why would Carver arse himself for the last 5 months of a season if the club said there was no chance of extending his position.

The club is going to fundamentally change it's approach this summer. When the accounts are announced that will be the first time under Ashley that the club has made a cumulative profit...

CAyKw0DUgAEbUhQ.png

No longer is it a club that works from a loss and has to sell before it buys. There is cash in the coffers before selling anyone, we'll spend that cash. We might still sell players when good offers come in, but that will only add to our warchest.

The priority for that surplus of cash will be to earmark it for a top coaching team at every level in the club, not the makeshift set of inexperienced randoms we currently have. Ensure the kids through to the first team are getting top quality coaching.

Secondary, we'll still chase bargains, but we'll occasionally top the squad off with a better calibre of player, rather than always getting the injury prone, unproven type that has been our bread and butter.

1%

Carver is getting the same treatment Hughton, Keegan and Shearer got. Invited to meetings told that their hard work an diligence will be rewarded before being let go without so much as a second glance.

Why would Carver arse himself for the last 5 months of a season if the club said there was no chance of extending his position.

The club is going to fundamentally change it's approach this summer. When the accounts are announced that will be the first time under Ashley that the club has made a cumulative profit...

CAyKw0DUgAEbUhQ.png

No longer is it a club that works from a loss and has to sell before it buys. There is cash in the coffers before selling anyone, we'll spend that cash. We might still sell players when good offers come in, but that will only add to our warchest.

The priority for that surplus of cash will be to earmark it for a top coaching team at every level in the club, not the makeshift set of inexperienced randoms we currently have. Ensure the kids through to the first team are getting top quality coaching.

Secondary, we'll still chase bargains, but we'll occasionally top the squad off with a better calibre of player, rather than always getting the injury prone, unproven type that has been our bread and butter.

Were do you get your acid? I know a guy who does very good stuff very cheaply.

I don't think HF's prediction is outlandish. A slightly less optimistic version (spending less than he suggests on players, having lower standard of coach) is certainly more realistic than Ashley risking Premier League survival to save £1m or so on coach wages and keeping with Carver.

When the only game in town for Ashley is premiership survival i just can't see him spending big bucks. Unless he does a complete u turn and decides we're going to have a go at the cups.

The only game in town was survival...but only as long as the club was reporting losses. His approach has been to cling on to Premier League status until TV money made the club profitable.

Better coaches and players can be paid for now, without incurring a loss that he has to subsidise.

The only game in town was survival...but only as long as the club was reporting losses. His approach has been to cling on to Premier League status until TV money made the club profitable.

Better coaches and players can be paid for now, without incurring a loss that he has to subsidise.

yes they can but that does not mean they will.

yes they can but that does not mean they will.

They have more often than not. Only once (2011) has the club spent a lower amount on transfers than the profit/loss reported.

CAuV3O3WcAAWi4p.png

13/14 will be the second time that's happened, once we see the books, but then we followed it in 14/15 with the largest net spend and gross spend since Ashley arrived.

That suggests to me that the club will continue to spend all it earns.

The question is whether it will start paying off other outstanding debt as well. My hunch is it won't, because Ashley said it's not repayable. He's a liar, but he has been open about the relegation debt being repayable.

Good write up of the changing nature of the TV deal here

http://swissramble.blogspot.co.uk/2015/02/the-premier-league-tv-deal-master-and.html

I can see the FA & League cups being sacked of by nearly all the premiership clubs if the figures in this article are right £152 million for first down to £92 million for 20th.

'Carver pledges Newcastle will match Sunderland's derby intensity - and promises a couple of surprises in the build-up'

http://www.thenorthernecho.co.uk/sport/football/newcastle/12870617._/?

Seems to me the ones who make the biggest song and dance about this game, the ones who seem the most desperate to win, tend to lose. Pardew had the look of Bruce in these games and not sure if there's much separating Carver and Pardew. (That's without the brutal and deliberate weakening of our team). How the fuck we've come to dread games against a side as shit as Sunderland have been these couple of years defies belief, at least when we were routinely beating them they could say we were beaten by a good side fighting for CL football.

"In the last four games, Sunderland have outworked us and that's not a good stat to have. I'll be making sure that doesn't happen again and I'll be using a whip to make sure we don't get outworked"

50 shades of Geordie John

He's the got the benefit of the doubt with me.

We've been outworked, outrun and outtackled by the likes of Cattermole for 4 games on the bounce. They need a rocket up their arse and this the one game of the season that Carvers style might actually work. Pardew's style certainly fucking didn't

Feel like a Mackem for saying as much but would probably take a win in exchange for no more points this season. Might get half of that bargain anyway