Touring Europe

aimaad22

Need some advice guys. Im planning a 2 week tour through Europe with the family. Parents took a guided tour a couple of decades back and they were very happy with it so thats the plan again.

It'll be in August hopefully, one of those 10-15 day tours with 6-7 standard places, London/Paris/Rome/Switzerland etc. Ive checked out some websites, and a couple of offers from a company called ExpatExplorer seem attractive and within budget. Anybody know anything about them? Any experience anyone's had with these things or if there's a company you'd recommend, other options worth exploring etc. Or generally if there's anything you think I should know when planning something like this.

I understand most of the above is well planned though if you get a tour and there's not much to worry about. I will try to append a couple of days at the end of it in England though, with the ultimate objective of perhaps making my way up to Newcastle and watching a game if the dates permit. With that in mind, what would be the best way to:

• Making sure I can get tickets. Is it easy to get them online? There's this fuss now about membership and all that isnt there? Fixtures come out in June, by which time I'll know the exact plan, so if there's a game could I book a ticket easily at that time? And what if there's an away fixture?
  • Traveling arrangements. This will obviously depend upon the time of the fixture. I suppose there are regular trains?
  • Advice for staying in the city if I have to, which I'll try to avoid keeping in mind we'll be on a very tight schedule.

I know some of these questions are very general, but I hope you'e getting an idea of what Im trying to get at. The whole Newcastle thing is up in the air at the moment, if Im able to finalize it I'll be back with more questions. Im asking early right now to set aside the budget and the earlier we book the tour/flights the better, things get very iffy when you get close to the tourist season.

Personally I would book the flights, hotels and transfers myself. Ryanair and Easyjet fly between most of the major European cities for a fraction of what a travel company will charge you. As for Newcastle tickets I think the only game that will sell out will be the Derby

Personally I would book the flights, hotels and transfers myself. Ryanair and Easyjet fly between most of the major European cities for a fraction of what a travel company will charge you. As for Newcastle tickets I think the only game that will sell out will be the Derby

Good advice. EasyJet is slightly better than Ryanair.

Rome is incredible, will never forget the first time I saw the Forum. You can get the train from Zurich to Milan, amazing journey during the day through the mountains. From there I would go to Florence which is a lot easier to see on a short visit. I would mix trains and planes. The SNCF site for France allows you to buy international tickets and the SBB site does the same for trains from Switzerland. You can do Amsterdam from Paris and Geneva so if you fly in there it gives you lots of options. My main consideration would be where to fly into and back out of again. You could arrive in London, train it down to Italy via France, Holland, Germany, Switzerland, then fly to Spain and back up to London for the return. There's 2 weeks of a lot of travel.

He'll get to London go to the North London mosque and then a free flight to Guantanamo, his pockets stuffed with info about train stations and airports.

:lol: I've got an interesting passport, born in the Middle East, Pakistani nationality and visits to Afghanistan. Wouldnt be shocked if I get chucked off to the CIA from the Embassy down here :lol:

Visa being rejected is a very real possibility in all seriousness.

BTW Aimaad "Are there regular trains?" Is probably the only daft thing you've ever said on here :)

Public transport is a concept completely lost on me :finger:

If Europe's your oyster, I genuinely wouldn't bother with Newcastle.

Its not a priority but considering I might be close by it'll be silly to not try and get in an extra day or so for this.

Aye I'll look into that option. The amount of time on the bus involved on the tour will be a pain as well.

Rome is incredible, will never forget the first time I saw the Forum. You can get the train from Zurich to Milan, amazing journey during the day through the mountains. From there I would go to Florence which is a lot easier to see on a short visit. I would mix trains and planes. The SNCF site for France allows you to buy international tickets and the SBB site does the same for trains from Switzerland. You can do Amsterdam from Paris and Geneva so if you fly in there it gives you lots of options. My main consideration would be where to fly into and back out of again. You could arrive in London, train it down to Italy via France, Holland, Germany, Switzerland, then fly to Spain and back up to London for the return. There's 2 weeks of a lot of travel.

Cheers. Rome's the place I'd be looking forward to the most. Doesn't get talked about a lot but I've heard decent things about Prague too.

Thanks for the replies everyone :up:

My itinerary would be

Train: London - Paris - Amsterdam (cost 200 euros)

Plane: Amsterdam - Prague - Zurich (cost 400 euros)

Train - Zurich - Milan - Florence - Rome (cost 200 euros)

Plane - Rome - Madrid - London (cost 400 euros)

I think you could easily beat that budget too, if you plan ahead and book early. This all assumes you're not on the 'no fly list'.

Sack off a trip to see Newcastle play as it will be a lowlight. Goto Barcelona instead and take in a match at the Nou Camp. Class experience and a cool town to explore.

I'd also recommend London, Paris, Rome, Berlin, Amsterdam and Prague.

Fuck knows how you fit all that in to two weeks though.