We should get rid of Trident.

Park Life

The Greens are completely clueless about economics and that interview is frightening. :lol: Not even English ffs!

We have a green council and they have utterly decimated recycling rates. :lol:

Wasted millions painting cycling lanes all over the place and reducing the speed limit in town to 20 which the police refuse to enforce.

I met the leader, Jason fucking Kitkat. Proper blend, came up to me and said 'I'm the leader of the council you know'. Good for you father, good for you.

• Replies 142
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Woaah there! Look at this guy with his conscience an all... :lol:

You have to stick with Labour. Milliband is more left than he lets on...I know his family history...Commies the lot of em. ;)

I couldn't bring myself to vote for labour last time after Iraq so switched to Libdem because they were the only ones saying they would scrap trident at a time when we knew the cuts were coming, not that they stuck to any of their policies as soon as they got a whiff of power, the fucking sell outs.

I'm done with the mainstream parties until there's a credible alternative. Until then it's a protest vote for me.

I can't see us getting rid of Trident - it's there and no-one (other than the Libyans and the Surf Efrikans) have ever stopped an N-bomb programme

You can't have an effective airborne deterrent and I can't see anyone being happy about digging deep holes for missiles onshore UK or trucking them about the rail network

I can't see us getting rid of Trident - it's there and no-one (other than the Libyans and the Surf Efrikans) have ever stopped an N-bomb programme

You can't have an effective airborne deterrent and I can't see anyone being happy about digging deep holes for missiles onshore UK or trucking them about the rail network

In the old days an airbourne deterrent was tricky, but not nowadays with modern C&C systems. Spread the planes out over 4/5 secret airbases. Cheap as chips.

I couldn't bring myself to vote for labour last time after Iraq so switched to Libdem because they were the only ones saying they would scrap trident at a time when we knew the cuts were coming, not that they stuck to any of their policies as soon as they got a whiff of power, the fucking sell outs.

I'm done with the mainstream parties until there's a credible alternative. Until then it's a protest vote for me.

I hear that a lot, which is odd given they didn't win the election - or come even close!

They achieved a couple of major coups from their manifesto, 10k income tax, Alternative Vote, 15 hours childcare for 3-4 year olds.

Edited by Phil

Don't vote Green you ponce.

Ok. Even I laughed. :lol:

Trident is the most expensive ornament going. Can't be used. Can only be fired indiscriminately which makes it illegal, and who is going to be the maniac who actually fires it? It's a complete nonsense.

75% of Labour's candidates for this general election support the CND, but Labour don't know what they're doing, so naturally they support renewal.

We simply can't afford to renew it. £1.5 trillion in debt with poverty at an all time high and no clue how to close the deficit (except of course ramping up the failed ideological austerity program whoever wins) is the economic argument. The moral argument is just as obvious.

Exactly. It's a nonsense. If the Tories get in the cuts are going to be more savage than this term. There's an obvious solution to the debt crisis staring us in the face, which would end austerity. The only downside being we give up a fleet of submarines that will almost certainly never be used.

I'm surprised the left don't try to make it more of an election issue, but Labour are spineless fucking cowards, terrified of losing the floating voters in the centre ground, so it doesn't surprise me that much.

I hear that a lot, which is odd given they didn't win the election - or come even close!

They achieved a couple of major coups from their manifesto, 10k income tax, Alternative Vote, 15 hours childcare for 3-4 year olds.

The alternative Vote referendum ended up as a no so I wouldnt say it was one of their bigger successes. The trident policy from their last manifesto was much bigger than any of those listed above.

Edited by Dr Gloom

Exactly. It's a nonsense. If the Tories get in the cuts are going to be more savage than this term. There's an obvious solution to the debt crisis staring us in the face, which would end austerity. The only downside being we give up a fleet of submarines that will almost certainly never be used.

I'm surprised the left don't try to make it more of an election issue, but Labour are spineless fucking cowards, terrified of losing the floating voters in the centre ground, so it doesn't surprise me that much.

Anything to do with the military and Labour are on dangerous ground as the Tories and their media allies would be all over them. You can't underestimate the hold the media have had on politics in this country.

I'd like to see a wider debate on why we need any significant armed forces at all. Explain the scenarios which merit intervention abroad or the need for "defence" in general and then measure how likely the scenarios are.

Of course it would raise too many questions about the need for engineered threats to justify arms sales but at least it would be honest (ish).

I would've thought the conflicts in Iraq and Afghanistan should be examples of why we don't need such a big army etc. given we usually make things worse when we wade into these places in any case.

England aren't a power in this world anymore, agreed, but they need a deterrent.

Why? Because they have the ultimate one, and the world view can change quite quickly. How they go about deploying this deterrent is something else. Just leave the Greens out of the debate.

England aren't a power in this world anymore, agreed, but they need a deterrent.

Why? Because they have the ultimate one, and the world view can change quite quickly. How they go about deploying this deterrent is something else. Just leave the Greens out of the debate.

A deterrent to who or what?

I would've thought the conflicts in Iraq and Afghanistan should be examples of why we don't need such a big army etc. given we usually make things worse when we wade into these places in any case.

As I mentioned when talking about remembrance Sunday, I don't believe there's been any deployment since WWII that's been really justified except maybe the Falklands but I'd argue that was avoidable. I suppose you could argue for NI but that was a huge fuck-up generally.

I'd like to see a wider debate on why we need any significant armed forces at all. Explain the scenarios which merit intervention abroad or the need for "defence" in general and then measure how likely the scenarios are.

Of course it would raise too many questions about the need for engineered threats to justify arms sales but at least it would be honest (ish).

To secure assets and resources for multinationals. ;)

The first companies to sign deals in Iraq were UK and Dutch.

"Iraq's supergiant Rumaila oil field is already being developed by BP, and the other supergiant reserve, Majnoon oil field, is being developed by Royal Dutch Shell. Both fields are in southern Iraq." Al Jazz

The idea of needig a military to defend a country has a cute and antiquated appeal. Their actual role is to be bouncers for oil, gas and mineral outfits.

"Prior to the 2003 invasion and occupation of Iraq, US and other western oil companies were all but completely shut out of Iraq's oil market," oil industry analyst Antonia Juhasz told Al Jazeera. "But thanks to the invasion and occupation, the companies are now back inside Iraq and producing oil there for the first time since being forced out of the country in 1973."

The discovery of huge veins of Lithium (batteries, laptops, circuits, mobile phones) in Afghanistan came as a surprise to all concerned apparently...:lol:

The previously unknown deposits — including huge veins of iron, copper, cobalt, gold and critical industrial metals like lithium — are so big and include so many minerals that are essential to modern industry that Afghanistan could eventually be transformed into one of the most important mining centers in the world, the United States officials believe.

An internal Pentagon memo, for example, states that Afghanistan could become the “Saudi Arabia of lithium,” a key raw material in the manufacture of batteries for laptops and BlackBerrys.

The vast scale of Afghanistan’s mineral wealth was discovered by a small team of Pentagon officials and American geologists. The Afghan government and President Hamid Karzai were recently briefed, American officials said.

While it could take many years to develop a mining industry, the potential is so great that officials and executives in the industry believe it could attract heavy investment even before mines are profitable, providing the possibility of jobs that could distract from generations of war.

“There is stunning potential here,” Gen. David H. Petraeus, commander of the United States Central Command, said… “There are a lot of ifs, of course, but I think potentially it is hugely significant.”

Edited by Park Life