Summer comings and goings

The Fish

Departure  

19 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

See, I am certain that quite a few players will leave. Colo, Jonas, Tiote, Gouffran*, Sammy and maybe Williamson too. Now, 5 of those are 1st team (rightly or wrongly) and some with no understudy so they'll have to replace them at least? Sissoko and Krul may want to move on to stop their career stalling like Tiote's has.

That's 7 new faces at least, surely?

*I think he'll orchestrate a move because he's fast becoming the scapegoat.

I think it's highly likely that Tiote, Jonas, Gouffran, Raylor, Williamson, Anita, Sammy, Campbell & Colo will be off in the summer with a reasonable chance of Krul, Cisse and Sissoko too.

Tiote has effectively been replaced by Colback and Abeid, and Sissoko could be replaced by SDJ. Gouffran/Sammy could be raplced by a combination of Perez, Cabella, Aarons and Squidward. Williamson could be replaced by Taylor. We have Darlow as a replacement for Krul and Lascelles as a replacement for Colo. The only one who would need replacing really would be Cisse as we've clearly been short of firepower this season when he's been missing (even our management couldn't be blind to that). The others haven't contributed much this season.

So really all we need to spend any money on is a replacement for Cisse and some squad filler.

We can easily do that and maintain our profit position. No need for any revolution at all man!

And that still would leave Rivière (argument for him needing another season and run in the side to really see what he is about), Obertan (one of our best players early season but over a run of games is fairly average) etc. even if we only change the 7 you state, only the last few will command any kind of fee to allow us to invest.

Perhaps expect more from our young emerging players with less than the 7 brought in.

Not having a go at you here (more just at the misconception that seems to have built up around a piss poor player) but can you name the games early season when Squidward was one of our best players? I'm not saying he didn't have any good games but I think you'll find it amounted to a goal and not much else against Liecester, a good game against Citeh in the cup and a promising 20 minutes against Liverpool.

It shows just how bad most of our season has been when his performances are being held up as any sort of positive.

Not having a go at you here (more just at the misconception that seems to have built up around a piss poor player) but can you name the games early season when Squidward was one of our best players? I'm not saying he didn't have any good games but I think you'll find it amounted to a goal and not much else against Liecester, a good game against Citeh in the cup and a promising 20 minutes against Liverpool.

It shows just how bad most of our season has been when his performances are being held up as any sort of positive.

Real sociadad at home pre season, he was like a different player. I've only been to 3 home games this season and I can barely recall which, but one of those he looked strong and was putting half decent balls in or cutting in himself. Positive play but yes, perhaps agree it was highlighting how bad the rest were rather than him being outstanding. Kinda why I suggest over a season he remains average.

Real sociadad at home pre season, he was like a different player. I've only been to 3 home games this season and I can barely recall which, but one of those he looked strong and was putting half decent balls in or cutting in himself. Positive play but yes, perhaps agree it was highlighting how bad the rest were rather than him being outstanding. Kinda why I suggest over a season he remains average.

I didn't see much of the Real game but Riviere looked really good preseason so we can't really count them. I've checked and he actualy didn't start a league game until the draw away to Swansea and if memeory serves he was nothing special that game. He then played against Leciester, Citeh, a half (after which he was taken off when we'd been shite) against Spurs then 27 minutes against Liverpool. He's been pretty shite since he came back too.

It's really surprising how a couple of good games can change so many peoples impression of him (I suppose it's a good thing for the players as it leads to them getting another chance) but for me he remains one of the worst players I've ever seen play more than 10 games for us.

Full expect the squad to be "thin" and some cut price additions, one or two decent (by our standard) allowing us to continue to float mid table.

agreed. this is the mike ashley way. i can't remember us ever having good squad depth since he's been here. i wouldn't rule out us getting some decent players in, but i expect the squad to remain unbalanced and lacking the depth required to compete for anything.

Whatever we spend, it will be far less than we actually need. Every year I hope to see the back of perma-crap like Obertan, Gouffran, Williamson but every year they are still here lining up for the first team. Our squad is thinner than a French pancake and just as full of crepe.

Just what we need :lol:

The squads in bits and we might be selling out 4 best players. Good bet for relegation if that happens

I wouldn't class Tiote, Krul or Cisse as 3 of our best players. They were at some time in their time at SJP but each for different reasons no longer are. Cisse has dodgy knees, Tiote can rarely control himself and is guaranteed to get 10 bookings a season and Krul seems to lost a lot of his instincts. His positioning at set pieces has become poor and his kicking has never improved.

I wouldn't class Tiote, Krul or Cisse as 3 of our best players. They were at some time in their time at SJP but each for different reasons no longer are. Cisse has dodgy knees, Tiote can rarely control himself and is guaranteed to get 10 bookings a season and Krul seems to lost a lot of his instincts. His positioning at set pieces has become poor and his kicking has never improved.

Who would you class as our 3 best players?

Fwiw Cisse has more league goals this season than Rooney, Van Persie, Lukaku, Bony, Hazard, Silva etc. despite starting fewer games

A strike force of Perez, Armstrong and Rivière is a recipe for last place

Cisse's the only genuine goal scorer at the club

Aye, the bloke doesn't have the best touch or link up play but he's a good finisher and has won us a lot of points after Perez's goal run dried up. I don't understand why anyone would want to see the back of him tbh, unless we brought in an improvement but even then I'd still prefer he stayed as like TRS pointed out we're hardly brimming with talent up front.

Fully agree with the points that Krul and Cisse are some of our best players, Krul hasn't looked as quality as he has in the past but look at the clip of the defence in front of him ffs and he has had a few bad injuries. He's still a massive step up from Rob Eliot. The only benefit for selling these players is for Ashley to cash in while they would still have a decent price tag, no upside for the fans. We made a good profit this year so there should be no reason for us to have to see Cisse and Krul to buy players, it just leads to further stagnation anyway, selling them and trying to bring in slight improvements still means we have to hope they perform and leaves them playing alongside nob-cheese like Williamson.

Edited by Howay

I'd also suggest that if Cisse was better in terms of touch and link-up we'd have really struggled to hold onto him. We're not going to get much better with the current set-up

I'd also suggest that if Cisse was better in terms of touch and link-up we'd have really struggled to hold onto him. We're not going to get much better with the current set-up

I get the link up play thing, but that's not what his game is. His first touch is generally pretty good though. It doesn't stand out as a weakness for me. He's a difficult player to fit into the system of a lot of premier league sides; he wants to play up front on his own but is nowhere near physically robust for that role in the way most sides play. You'd think he'd work well in a two like Owen or Ian Wright used to but it just doesn't seem to work. Maybe that's why he's still here.

Well he can't really hold the ball up so he's always going to find it difficult to achieve any sort consistency. Especially at a middling PL club. I like him though, I'm just very conscious of our inability to hang onto top class talent. His weaknesses stop him being that. Got very good movement and has an eye for goal which, as I saying before, makes him unique in our squad.

Fwiw Cisse has more league goals this season than Rooney, Van Persie, Lukaku, Bony, Hazard, Silva etc. despite starting fewer games

A strike force of Perez, Armstrong and Rivière is a recipe for last place

For a start Hazard and Silva are not centre forwards. Costa, Kane, Aguero, Austin and Giroud who are centre forwards have scored more as have Sanchez and Berahino.

I agree with your comments but surely it is down to our 'outstanding' coaching staff to help him improve his touch and link up play. As for our best players I would consider Janmaat, Sissoko, Perez who has loads of potential under the right coaches and Cabella who is at last showing what he is capable of. It is fairly obvious that any scouts who recommended Riviere would have known he only scores goals for Monaco when he is not the lone striker. Edited by BLACKANDWHITEGEORDIE

For a start Hazard and Silva are not centre forwards. Costa, Kane, Aguero, Austin and Giroud who are centre forwards have scored more as have Sanchez and Berahino.

But I posted a list of players he HAD scored more than :lol:

I agree with your comments but surely it is down to our 'outstanding' coaching staff to help him improve his touch and link up play. As for our best players I would consider Janmaat, Sissoko, Perez who has loads of potential under the right coaches and Cabella who is at last showing what he is capable of. It is fairly obvious that any scouts who recommended Riviere would have known he only scores goals for Monaco when he is not the lone striker.

Clutching at straws listing 2 players who've only shown potential really. Certainly underlines the point plenty were making that the previous 3 youve mentioned aren't really the type of players we can afford to get rid of. Especially given they fulfil different roles to the 4 you rate higher