AshleyOut.com

Happy Face

Most empty seats in the upper tier, which of course is not shown on TV except the odd shot of the away section. It needed to be less than 35,000 to make any real visible impact for anyone watching on TV, especially those viewers not particularly paying attention to the world of NUFC and deliberately looking for gaps.

I said that on N-O. Got mullered for it. Stupid mackem that I am.

I also said that if a boycott was to be successful, it shouldn't be just one game, and it shouldn't really be announced with very little notice (although it got more than enough coverage) or at a time in the season when fans who don't go could be labelled as putting the club in danger of relegation. Does the twitter feed say anything about future boycotts? Did the A4 posters? No, because it clearly wasn't even considered as a strategy.

The plan was to get the boycott noticed on Sky. It largely failed, unless you count TV pictures of pretty full stands alongside A4 posters calling for a show of strength and unity.

Post-match, Niall Quinn departed from his up to then quite balanced view (balanced seemed to be his buzzword of the day), to sign off with the sentiment that maybe fans should leave off the protests for the next few games until we are safe. Which is of course exactly the wrong thing to be doing, but it yet again feeds into the myth that boycotting fans are somehow disloyal or harming the club. This is a total canard, but it's also something which the A4 posters did nothing to educate the fans or the media about

The plan was to get the boycott noticed on Sky. It largely failed, unless you count TV pictures of pretty full stands alongside A4 posters calling for a show of strength and unity.

Aye, apart from making up the majority of the pre and post-match panel discussion it was largely ignored.

You're ideas were twatful. You wanted toon fans to go to a Sunderland game ffs!

The boycott was a step in the right direction

What direction? Impact was minimal. It showed the media that we are not happy with Ashley, but not so unhappy that we would unite in a show of strength.

And the media weren't exactly unaware that we are unhappy. They duly trailed the protest, complete with all the polls suggesting it would get wide support, which of course has now backfired spectacularly. To their credit, and I include even the Chron, they put all the messages out there about how this was not intended as a fickle post-derby reaction, that it was a serious protest against the transfer policy and lack of interest in the cups. It even benefited from the timing of the financial news - which the media combined to give the strong message that Ashley is just sitting on pots of cash and not spending it. The media did their part, it's the fans who have royally failed to capitalise on that opportunity by showing that they don't are enough about any of those things to actually stay away from one single game.

I predicted all of that on N-O, and got crucified.

And the Sunderland idea is only one of 5, which I freely admitted was pretty insane. I only suggested it because it's so dramatic, so extreme, that it wouldn't fail to get widespread coverage. As the boycott showed - the only ideas likely to succeed are the ones which only require a small amount of highly motivated fans to do something, to acheive the goal. I would freely admit here I'd join that group if it went ahead, but of course some wag here would only suggest I'd be there anyway sitting in my usual seat.

Aye, apart from making up the majority of the pre and post-match panel discussion it was largely ignored.

And we can count ourselves lucky that they didn't highlight too much the disconnect (Niall Quinn buzzword bingo!) between what was visible in the stands, and the strategy of showing a united and strong front. They were actually quite good to us - spending a lot of time talking about the things we are upset at, and largely getting the messages right, without pointing out how many in the ground apparently didn't care enough about it to not turn up. Indeed, was Quinn perhaps even taking the piss talking about how it must be really serious if NUFC fans aren't turning up to a game, against a backdrop of a crowd of people behind him sitting in their seats enjoying a half-time pie?

Indeed, was Quinn perhaps even taking the piss talking about how it must be really serious if NUFC fans aren't turning up to a game, against a backdrop of a crowd of people behind him sitting in their seats enjoying a half-time pie?

Except he was sitting in an empty Etihad.

take it back from the looks of it they got way less turning up than you could make out from tv

Agreed. Annoyingly, the main view of the camera gallery was of the East stand, which seemed to be the lest deserted. No one in level 7, looking at those pics.

I think HF's tweet about how those who turned up saying they had to back the team can fuck right off just about sums it up.

Either boycott or go there and abuse them - don't turn up, sit on your hands for 80 minutes and then boo before fucking off - completely fucking pointless.

I understand the desire to minimise factions and infighting but fucking hell - talk about turkey's voting for xmas.

You have a loose relationship with facts.

The difference between you and I is that when I make an error, it doesn't effect the overall point I was making, and I own up to it. Reading back I notice I did get the score wrong, but that was obviously a simple mistake - however it doesn't quite fit your narrative that the reason I got it wrong was because I rushed here before the end of the match. Your loose relationship with the facts is designed solely to paint a picture to discredit the person who disagrees with you. It's the same with your claim I never supported a boycott and don't want the campaign to succeed. Yet I doubt I will hear a peep out of you on that here (unless it's to simply repeat the lie).

Scale up that self-delusion, and you have N-O. Are you a member? I can't view, but I'd imagine right about now they're in full flow, blaming the failure of the boycott on the media, or the Chronicle, or making up some other reason that doesn't fit the facts. If there is anyone like me on there now saying the things I did before the boycott, or pointing out for example that the media, including the Chronicle, gave this boycott the maximum exposure and hitting all the key messages of the campaign, beyond what it evidently deserved, no doubt they are being ripped to shreds and abused as a "mackem troll".

So what's next #boycottswansea to keep the momentum going

There's a lot of work involved in putting a protest on. So I wouldn't expect a repeat of yesterday to be sorted in 5 days.

Tickets have already been bought. People will make a principled stand at their own expense, but can't see it being as successful in the very next game too.

Think the long term plan has to be to stop people paying for anything more than they have already.

... and if they must go to games, to stop buying owt in the stadium.

What exactly would have constituted a success? The boycotting fans chants and yells beckoning forth a Lovecraftian behemoth who squishes Ashley beneath it's amorphous weight?

People declaring it a failure had already made up their minds that anything more than an empty St James' would be a failure. As it is the figures are somewhere between 31k (unlikely) and 41 thousand. This being the case it's hard to categorise it as a tremendous success for a group of amateur fans trying to herd 50,000 cats away from a big ol' tub of catnip.

It's sparked a national (and international) debate about ownership, responsibility, fan action, fan connection and the people asking questions aren't simply local journalists who've a vested interest, but leading voices in the media, ex-pros and even politicians grabbing for good press.

Mako strikes me as having wildly unrealistic expectations for what is the very opening salvo of what will be a long hard war of attrition.

Barry Glendenning also said it was a failure, "1-0 to Ashley" he said. It might be better described as "we've just had a goal disallowed for offside in the very first minute."

This isn't over, it's barely even begun and the hardest challenge the Ashleyout.com people face is convincing the naysayers like Mako that they're a huge reason that the boycott wasn't an even more resounding success.

"I'm not going to boycott because it won't work because there won't be enough people boycotting"... :lol:

Like the people who went to the game, sat on their hands for 90 minutes, booed at half time, booed at full time or just had a 80th minute boycott of their own. That's just insanity.

What exactly would have constituted a success? The boycotting fans chants and yells beckoning forth a Lovecraftian behemoth who squishes Ashley beneath it's amorphous weight?

People declaring it a failure had already made up their minds that anything more than an empty St James' would be a failure. As it is the figures are somewhere between 31k (unlikely) and 41 thousand. This being the case it's hard to categorise it as a tremendous success for a group of amateur fans trying to herd 50,000 cats away from a big ol' tub of catnip.

It's sparked a national (and international) debate about ownership, responsibility, fan action, fan connection and the people asking questions aren't simply local journalists who've a vested interest, but leading voices in the media, ex-pros and even politicians grabbing for good press.

Mako strikes me as having wildly unrealistic expectations for what is the very opening salvo of what will be a long hard war of attrition.

Barry Glendenning also said it was a failure, "1-0 to Ashley" he said. It might be better described as "we've just had a goal disallowed for offside in the very first minute."

This isn't over, it's barely even begun and the hardest challenge the Ashleyout.com people face is convincing the naysayers like Mako that they're a huge reason that the boycott wasn't an even more resounding success.

"I'm not going to boycott because it won't work because there won't be enough people boycotting"... :lol:

Like the people who went to the game, sat on their hands for 90 minutes, booed at half time, booed at full time or just had a 80th minute boycott of their own. That's just insanity.

He's an Irish Sunderland fan who works for talksport. My auntie's dog's farts have more about them than anything this fat fuck says.

He ended the conversation when I said it was beginning to sound like he had an agenda, as he felt that's the same as saying he has an agenda.

He's an Irish Sunderland fan who works for talksport. My auntie's dog's farts have more about them than anything this fat fuck says.

That's about the long and short of it. Man's about as funny as toothache. Also, who the fuck is this Mako knacker?

That's about the long and short of it. Man's about as funny as toothache. Also, who the fuck is this Mako knacker?

Rick from the Young Ones, without the charm