What would it take

The Fish

I think that if he apologised for his actions, promised to subsidise the club by £50m a year (and then the FFP limits if in Europe) and showed genuine ambition to win something then after a couple of years my hatred would subside a little.

There's no chance I will ever forgive him. He has made the club into a laughing stock and continuously pissed on us and our history. He will never put any money into the club so the only things he could possibly do to appease me at all will never be done. I hope SD goes tits up and he has to sell us off cheap to try (and fail) to save them. I then hope after he's lost his own personal fortune he has to go and work somewhere on a zero hour contract.

What if we saw sustained improvement on the pitch?

e.g. Remi Garde is announced as new Head Coach & brings with him a competent coaching staff.

We sign five or six 1st teamers for various moderate fees, whose talent ranges between Cabaye &, say, Colback.

Garde has us playing good football and we get to a quarter and a semi final, then finish 8th in the league.

Next season we add another three or four players to the squad and see similar fortunes in the cup & finish 7-9th once more

Season after we win a cup, finish 10th.

From then on we see consolidation and steady improvement. By 2020/21 we're seen as outsiders for the title, dark horses for CL but likely Europa League and decent chance of a cup too. We still will sell if someone pays the premium, but the club ethos is less a revolving door, and more like, say, Spurs.

Is it really that ludicrous?

(Also I'm not saying it would happen, I'm asking if you would forgive Ashley if that's what happened)

What if we saw sustained improvement on the pitch?

e.g. Remi Garde is announced as new Head Coach & brings with him a competent coaching staff.

We sign five or six 1st teamers for various moderate fees, whose talent ranges between Cabaye &, say, Colback.

Garde has us playing good football and we get to a quarter and a semi final, then finish 8th in the league.

Next season we add another three or four players to the squad and see similar fortunes in the cup & finish 7-9th once more

Season after we win a cup, finish 10th.

From then on we see consolidation and steady improvement. By 2020/21 we're seen as outsiders for the title, dark horses for CL but likely Europa League and decent chance of a cup too. We still will sell if someone pays the premium, but the club ethos is less a revolving door, and more like, say, Spurs.

i don't see that scenario ever happening as long as ashley is around, which is precisely why we all moan about him so much. he's done nothing to suggest he cares remotely about providing a platform capable of allowing us to win trophies and challenge the top clubs.

i think we'd soon stop whining quite so much about him if it were. not saying we'd forgive him for what he's done in the past, but a modicum of ambition and people would start enjoying watching the match again, which is what it's all about.

Is it really that ludicrous?

(Also I'm not saying it would happen, I'm asking if you would forgive Ashley if that's what happened)

No, under that situation Ashley would deserve zero credit. After the shit he has put us through he needs to go above and beyond to get into my pants.

i don't see that scenario ever happening as long as ashley is around, which is precisely why we all moan about him so much. he's done nothing to suggest he cares remotely about providing a platform capable of allowing us to win trophies and challenge the top clubs.

i think we'd soon stop whining quite so much about him if it were. not saying we'd forgive him for what he's done in the past, but a modicum of ambition and people would start enjoying watching the match again, which is what it's all about.

That's what I've been trying to explain to fans of other clubs. That's why we're boycotting, that's why we're unhappy. It's not the lack of silverware, it's failing to fulfil the competitive part of partaking in a competitive sport.

No, under that situation Ashley would deserve zero credit. After the shit he has put us through he needs to go above and beyond to get into my pants.

Why's that?

"Forgiveness is the fragrance that the violet sheds on the heel that has crushed it."

That's a beauty from Mark Twain. Swap violet for lavender in your case, Dave.

How do you say "Go fuck yourself" in Yogic?

The problem with Ashley is he will always be motivated by profit. So while Spurs wanted to hold onto Bale as long as they could and only sold for a huge sum when the player fidgeted too much, we would have sold the lad for half that price a season or two sooner.

I can excuse the sales of Mbiwa, Ben Arfa, Cabaye, Ba and that, but not the likes of Carroll, Enrique, Santon and Debuchy.

He'd have to cut out the latter sort of business for a good 4 or 5 years, put in a top manager on £2m to £5m and a proven coaching team before I'd start thinking he was interested in a competitive team.

Why's that?

Because the club would have done it off its own bat. Mike Ashley knows nothing about the running of a football club. Has he made a single decent informed appointment since taking over the club? The only thing he has to offer NUFC is money and if he does that and it leads to success I'll begrudgingly offer him some reluctant credit. Otherwise he can fuck off.

Just to be clear, I think Ashley is a boorish prick, interested solely in the accumulation of wealth and boardroom power.

I wouldn't forgive him the troughs, no matter how high the peaks.

For the stadium name change, for the treatment of Keegan, for the lies, for Wonga, for Pardew, the castration of the club.

The problem with Ashley is he will always be motivated by profit. So while Spurs wanted to hold onto Bale as long as they could and only sold for a huge sum when the player fidgeted too much, we would have sold the lad for half that price a season or two sooner.

I can excuse the sales of Mbiwa, Ben Arfa, Cabaye, Ba and that, but not the likes of Carroll, Enrique, Santon and Debuchy.

He'd have to cut out the latter sort of business for a good 4 or 5 years, put in a top manager on £2m to £5m and a proven coaching team before I'd start thinking he was interested in a competitive team.

exactly the reason the scenario fish outlined will never happen. good teams need continuity, something we're never going to get under ashley's existing transfer policy.

i think we would accept that every player had his price, if he held out for big money then reinvested it. he doesn't - any player is up for grabs the moment a bid comes in after they start doing well. the speed we turnover players is ridiculous.

the other reason i don't see fish's scenario happening, is i doubt he will ever invest the required funds a coaching staff capable of pulling it off under the existing restrictions. he might get lucky on the odd season, like he did with pardew when he finished 5th, but those two things both have to change before we achieve any kind of consistency, other than being consistently gash.

If we could win the Premier League before I'm at the Pearly Gates asking St. Peter to turn a blind eye to my indiscretions and let me in, I could forgive the Devil himself.