Mike Fucking Williamson

Anorthernsoul

I know what you mean, but I'm not sure he is just seen as a scout. The way he is talked about in the press, I sort of get the impression he over see's player recruitment as a whole. The In's and the outs. That is merely speculation however.

Charnley will have definitely had a say though,

I'm 100% confident Carr is chief scout, provides a list of players to Charnley & the head coach/manager, Charnley then makes decisions based on price, sell on value, etc.

Definitely not driving recruitment as if he were, we'd have signed Lacazette, Grenier, instead of Gouffran and Amalfitano etc.

• Replies 186
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm 100% confident Carr is chief scout, provides a list of players to Charnley & the head coach/manager, Charnley then makes decisions based on price, sell on value, etc.

Definitely not driving recruitment as if he were, we'd have signed Lacazette, Grenier, instead of Gouffran and Amalfitano etc.

He must have had a hand in Gouffran, Amalfitano, LDJ, Marveaux etc even if they weren't his first choice he was clearly recommending them.

He must have had a hand in Gouffran, Amalfitano, LDJ, Marveaux etc even if they weren't his first choice he was clearly recommending them.

He's not going to get everyone right, is he? And like you say, it's unlikely they were his first choice, it's not really his fault if he's suggesting Lacazette, Aubemyang, Ayew and Charnley buys Amalfitano, is it?

For balance;

Marveaux has done well for Guingamp,

LdJ has 19 goals and 11 assists

Gouffran was bought as a forward and now plays as a holding midfielder.

He does?!

(Ok that may have been an exaggeration, but my point was that he's been shifted from wide forward to central midfield and given a defensive role)

I don't know what the fuck he is supposed to be doing and I'm pretty sure he doesn't either.

We need a leader in the dressing room to sort all this shite out, but I think they get moved along/out sharpish.

He's not going to get everyone right, is he? And like you say, it's unlikely they were his first choice, it's not really his fault if he's suggesting Lacazette, Aubemyang, Ayew and Charnley buys Amalfitano, is it?

For balance;

Marveaux has done well for Guingamp,

LdJ has 19 goals and 11 assists

Gouffran was bought as a forward and now plays as a holding midfielder.

No he's not going to have a 100% success rate and fwiw I think he's doing a decent job. I just think the super scout perception some have is way off.

Has marveaux done that well by the way? Ever time i've read about him on .com he's bee out of the team or not played the full game. LDJ doing well in Holland is also no positive proof either is it? If anything it suggests our scouts couldn't see that he was a player at best not ready for a move to a bigger league or at worst only of Eredevise standard like other strikers coming from there have been (Afonso Alves etc).

No he's not going to have a 100% success rate and fwiw I think he's doing a decent job. I just think the super scout perception some have is way off.

Has marveaux done that well by the way? Ever time i've read about him on .com he's bee out of the team or not played the full game. LDJ doing well in Holland is also no positive proof either is it? If anything it suggests our scouts couldn't see that he was a player at best not ready for a move to a bigger league or at worst only of Eredevise standard like other strikers coming from there have been (Afonso Alves etc).

Honestly man, compare his hit-rate to other clubs and tell me he's not done a brilliant job here?

Bear in mind that he's also scouted better players that we've not signed like; Aubemyang, Lacazette, Grenier, and so on.

You're being massively harsh imo.

Honestly man, compare his hit-rate to other clubs and tell me he's not done a brilliant job here?

Bear in mind that he's also scouted better players that we've not signed like; Aubemyang, Lacazette, Grenier, and so on.

You're being massively harsh imo.

I don't have any information on other teams to do that and tbf you are making assumptions about some of those players we didn't get. There's no proof we were really after them let alone that we ever had a chance of getting them. Just because we hadn't heard much about Dortmund being after Aubameyang when he was first linked with us doesn't mean they weren't in there and if so we never stood a chance of getting him. Does it make a good scout him suggesting a player who is clearly quality but we never stood a chance of getting. If I recommended Koke does that make me a good scout? No of course not especially if my backup suggestion Amdy Faye.

I just think that if your giving him credit for the sucesses (and I do) you have to give him some responsibility for signing Amalfitano too. As I say I think he's doing a decent job. He's just been blown all out of proportion.

I think you're taking my praise of him too far. I think he's done a very good job and has had more hits than misses, but he's not uber-scout.

I think you're taking my praise of him too far. I think he's done a very good job and has had more hits than misses, but he's not uber-scout.

I wasn't even aiming it at you tbf (it's just that you're the one replying and I'm bored at work). I just think there's a bit of a general hysteria about him in some quarters.

Gouffran had a spell where he looked alright. Was chipping in with a few goals here and there. The problem is that, at a club with any idea how to build a squad, he'd have been a stop-gap and moved on sharpish. Instead, he's hanging about like a bad smell, totally devoid of confidence and playing out of position. We've got a load of players like that knocking about and they all need to be sold.

Gouffran had a spell where he looked alright. Was chipping in with a few goals here and there. The problem is that, at a club with any idea how to build a squad, he'd have been a stop-gap and moved on sharpish. Instead, he's hanging about like a bad smell, totally devoid of confidence and playing out of position. We've got a load of players like that knocking about and they all need to be sold.

Frankly the whole squad need selling. All of them and anyone connected to them.

There's very few players I have any respect for and would be a litlte gutted to see leave.

Frankly if getting relegated means we get a squad with players who actually try (preferably ones better than Williamson though), then I'm for it.

There's very few players I have any respect for and would be a litlte gutted to see leave.

Frankly if getting relegated means we get a squad with players who actually try (preferably ones better than Williamson though), then I'm for it.

To be honest I couldn't give a fuck about any of them leaving, they've all shown themselves to be cowards who can't be arsed. Janmaat was the last one I'd have been somewhat bothered about losing but tbh what he did today was ridiculous and he showed he simply doesn't want to play, I understand Carver is a prick but you're a professional ffs. I honestly feel similar about this squad as I did the last relegation lot, no interest in any of the players as they show little interest in our club.

:lol: I'm sure Iron Mike will still be about doing lunges in his weighted vest, he could survive a nuclear blast the fucking cockroach so a summer clear out wont shift him.

Didn't Barton do something similar last time we went down. The similarities between this side and that one are striking. They're not playing for their lives. They've given up, gutless cowards pretty much to man

Aye squared to him in the locker room iirc. I'm not hating it as much this time around mind as the last 4 or so seasons have thoroughly kicked the emotion out of it for me.

Agree with Fish. Also half these players arrived better players than they are after a spell with our coaches and managers. Gouffran poor lad, was an ok sub striker when he arrived, gets so much stick on here but it isn't his fault he's been bought on a lie and made to play all sorts of weird shit instead of just up front on goal.

Janmatt, Krul, sissoko, tiote, Pérez, cabaye, cisse, ba, Anita, mbwia, santon were all very good buys imo, at good prices (maybe not Anita). The players clearly know more than we do about the internal workings of the club and what is said when they sign, and we all know how fucked we all feel. Christ, toon fans are boycotting matches, that's just as much a sign of having enough as our players have shown.

We could have real Madrid squad in a year and Ashley would sell 7 of them in January if he made a few Mil. Our managers couldn't get a performance out of Messi atm.