Who would you keep

The Fish

I suppose it makes sense to keep Colback around as he doesn't strike me as the kind of player that'll kick up too much of a fuss if he's not getting games when there are better players ahead of him; a "good pro".

• Replies 121
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

He was one of the few of them to emerge with any credit after last season

This tbh. He wasn't outstanding but he was available pretty much every week and did a decent consistent job. For me every club needs a player like that. The problem comes when he's just about your best player. The others around him should mean that he's not and that's not been the case in his time here so far. Hopefully with the new players coming in, this season will be a different matter.

This tbh. He wasn't outstanding but he was available pretty much every week and did a decent consistent job. For me every club needs a player like that. The problem comes when he's just about your best player. The others around him should mean that he's not and that's not been the case in his time here so far. Hopefully with the new players coming in, this season will be a different matter.

see Cattermole at the mackems.

see Cattermole at the mackems.

The difference being that they believe he's an excellent player who should be playing for England regardless. None of us think Colback is that, he's poor for some or a decent player for others.

The difference being that they believe he's an excellent player who should be playing for England regardless. None of us think Colback is that, he's poor for some or a decent player for others.

That's just the effects of a poor diet and little formative education

Fitness is the big issue with Taylor though. He's nearly 30 and injuries have pretty much defined his career.

I think another reason I'd keep Colback is because he's a decent full back and we've precious little cover there. I agree that last season is probably as good as it's going to get for him and I think he probably shone as a 'trier' in a team that was fucking shite

Well ideally I would peddle Williamson, and sign another central defender as well as Mbemba. Meaning Taylor could be relied on if necessary/fit as a 4th choice but I can't imagine either of those things happening.

Also would keep Colback as backup unless we replaced him with a better player. I probably didn't word my original post properly, I would be fine with Colback being 4/5th choice central midfielder. Not starting every game he is fit for.

Well ideally I would peddle Williamson, and sign another central defender as well as Mbemba. Meaning Taylor could be relied on if necessary/fit as a 4th choice but I can't imagine either of those things happening.

Colo, Mbemba, Lascelles & Taylor not sufficient?

Possibly if Colo and Mbemba play well together and are fit most of the season. The worry is if they are injured at the same time as the inevitable Taylor injury and Lascelles is struggling to make the step up. Personally I wouldn't be massively upset with those four (and Dummet as further backup beyond them) but if at all possible I'd prefer to see another centr half brought in.

If that is the four we have I would go Colo and suppose Mbemba (without seeing him play).

I have seen Lascelles play and he has all the physical attributes to be a success but I wouldn't want to rely on him for an extended period. I think Taylor is adequate but as noted, is regularly injured.

So I would prefer another choice.

I just fear we are going to be out jumped in the box with Mbemba and Colo at the back.

No way! Mbemba has an incredible leap to him. So he will make up for his lack of height, which is not that small really, 180cm.

No way! Mbemba has an incredible leap to him. So he will make up for his lack of height, which is not that small really, 180cm.

Well I hope you're right about his leaping reach because someone has to do the job back there. Colo is great when the ball is at his feet (I always would have liked to see him put as a holding mid), but he is not the greatest in the air. And anyway, his form overall at CB the past few years has been less than good, to be polite.

Edited by LooneyToony

Aye Williamson is total fucking dogshit in the air, mainly due to his complete lack of ability at judging the flight of the ball. The fact that we wont have Williamson starting automatically makes our defending the high ball better.

The height thing is the myth Pardew fell for - which is why Mike Williamson has over a hundred appearances.

Oh yeah, definitely a huge upgrade over Willo. More athletic...more skill, and probably stronger than him.

Yeah, but they were forwards. FFS.

God give me strength!!!1!!one!!

what's the beef chief? I'm simply saying that you don't have to be Peter Crouch/Per MErtesacker to be good in the air.

I imagine players will be leaving as soon as they tie up their last incoming deal. Will be a case of them looking at the squad and getting rid of any shit that won't fit into the 25 man squad. Hopefully that includes Gouffran who literally offers nowt but a warm body. Can't see a way for him into the team if we sign a second striker as well since he'd basically be 5th choice there.