Senate strike a blow against TTIP

Park Life

Didn't see that coming. Free trade bill halted in first senate reading. Obama's plans halted.

TTIP is some serious shit inc secret courts that can sue soverign Govt's for 'getting in the way'...

Barack Obama’s ambitions to pass sweeping new free trade agreements with Asia and Europe fell at the first hurdle on Tuesday as Senate Democrats put concerns about US manufacturing jobs ahead of arguments that the deals would boost global economic growth.

A vote to push through the bill failed as 45 senators voted against it, to 52 in favor. Obama needed 60 out of the 100 votes for it to pass.

Failure to secure so-called “fast track” negotiating authority from Congress leaves the president’s top legislative priority in tatters."

White House officials dismissed the Senate vote against fast tracking as a “procedural snafu” but without this crucial agreement from lawmakers to give the administration negotiating freedom, it is seen as highly unlikely that international diplomats can complete either of the two giant trade deals currently in negotiation: the Trans-Pacific Partnership (TPP) and the Transatlantic Trade and Investment Partnership (TTIP).

The Senate fast-track legislation, known as Trade Promotion Authority or TPA, was facing even tougher opposition in the US House of Representatives.

Opponents have been emboldened by the growing influence of liberal senators Elizabeth Warren and Bernie Sanders and were joined by all but one Senate Democrat in voting against moving forward with TPA.

Even Hillary Clinton, the Democratic frontrunner for the 2016 presidential race and historically a supporter of free trade, has been cautious amid growing concern over the effect of globalisation on middle-class jobs, warning against “trade for trade’s sake”.

http://www.theguardian.com/us-news/2015/may/12/obama-trans-pacific-partnership-senate-vote

American legislators putting American jobs first, second and third? Well I never, what a complete surprise.

There's never been a dumber set of politicians than American politicians. These are the people who actually put it into law that the government has to buy American, even in cases where the alternative is both cheaper and better quality. They are still absolutely convinced that everything they do is better than everybody else on the planet, including politics! Despite them now having had 50 years worth of evidence to the contrary. They are the dumbest of dumb fucks that a dumb fuck ever fucked.

American legislators putting American jobs first, second and third? Well I never, what a complete surprise.

There's never been a dumber set of politicians than American politicians. These are the people who actually put it into law that the government has to buy American, even in cases where the alternative is both cheaper and better quality. They are still absolutely convinced that everything they do is better than everybody else on the planet, including politics! Despite them now having had 50 years worth of evidence to the contrary. They are the dumbest of dumb fucks that a dumb fuck ever fucked.

In case you haven't cottoned onto it yet, this is a good thing for the UK and the NHS.

It may seem an alien concept to you, being from the UK, but many American legislators actually fight for their constituents.

It may seem an alien concept to you, being from the UK, but many American legislators actually fight for their constituents.

I'm more than familiar with it, hence my criticism. Do you have any examples of it resulting in a better life for constituents?

In case you haven't cottoned onto it yet, this is a good thing for the UK and the NHS.

I've no idea how it related to the NHS (the issue of private providers I'm guessing), but that would seem to be a rather narrow issue given this is about trade as a whole, easily dealt with by sector specific legislation, as is already the case.